What wing for double 7L/LP50s? Or also 12L S72 LP85(?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelMc

Working toward Cenotes
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What wings do people like for 7L / LP50 doubles? I'm looking to get tiny doubles and am unsure on the best wing. Either single purpose, 7L/LP50, or multi purpose, adding 10L, 12L, S72, (LP85??).

I likely need 40+ lb/18+kg. This is for rec. shore diving, but bullet proof is rarely bad, and for me double bladders would be prudent as my warmer suit is very thick. I'm new to doubles, but BP/W experienced.

Assuming a just 7L/LP50 wing would be rare, I crunched numbers (below) on what the next larger doubles look like. Next are 10L and S72 that fit 185mm/7.3" c-t-c bands, or LP85 that would have 8.5"/215mm. So a doubles wing that targets these as maxes, and can flap less if the tank unit shrinks is most versatile. And may shift my question to "what do people like for just double 10/12L or LP85"? Although a sleek 7L doubles wing is enticing.

U.S. bands are mostly 8.5"/215mm c-t-c, so U.S. market wings might not target the tighter isolation bar spacing possible with tiny 7L/LP50 or small 10L 12L S72 tanks such as 160mm/6.3" or 185mm/7.3" c-t-c. Though you can find U.S. 185mm LP50 bands.

Beyond cool and slim, the tight 160mm/6.3" spacing would be similar to using them as no manifold independent doubles if I wanted to easily share them with sidemount. Do people outside the U.S. prefer the sufficient 7L/LP50 spacing of 160 mm or the wider 186mm?

Sure, bigger twins are great, but I enter through surf, have a low SAC, and have two fill stations where I park to dive. This is for easy to the water's edge dives with redundancy in one unit. Getting more than 20 lb. lift is unlikely with my current wing, a very 3D tailored single tank. I plan to use my standard AL or steel plates. And I already have a pony that I use solo, but I'd like a more compact rig, and to unify my solo and buddy rigs to just be messing with one setup.

Update: a partial answer is search for 2x 10L 12L wings and recommendations, then look at which are also U.S. available, or maybe also LP85 suitable. Many non-U.S. singles wings list a 2x 7L and some single tank max. There are 2x 12L focused wings, and those lists feature the 2x LP85 capable Dive Rite Rec (which tbone recommended within 2 minutes of my post, as he did as well back in 2015 or so for tiny doubles...).

Thanks,
Michael

# Older recreational doubles threads, that only touch lightly on wings used:
Is there anyone diving tiny doubles? Need some input.
Recreational doubles
Tiny Doubles...

# Doubles wings people mentioned:
Dive Rite Rec EXP/XT: hybrid 45 lb, for 'up to 2xLP85/13L', available with double bladders. Note this wing has a 'clip back down for singles' feature.

Oxycheq 42 lb. Vertex doubles, now only dual bladder $520
"The 42 Pound version is great for small doubles or rebreathers and the 55 is perfect for regular doubles diving" - CaveAdventure's store single bladder stock, $336, description. Though 'small' may not be the same as tiny/baby/LP50 6.3" c-t-c, but might cover U.S. 8.5" c-t-c.

xDeep Hydros 40 lb. lists as for twin 7's or 12's

Mares XR Twin 52 lb. (LP50 may limit 42 lb's lift)

# Singles wings people have mentioned:
- Apeks WTX3 34 lb. single tank. Discontinued, but northeastscubasupply still sells, $280, newer WTX30 are more 3D tight-to-tank shaped.

# Double's width changes as tank size increases, by band options, outer edge-to-edge:
Edge to Edge :: tank L / cu ft. :: Notes / conclusions

## 160mm / 6.3" c-t-c bands
300mm / 11.8" :: 7L / LP50 :: 7L with narrowest bands

## 185mm / 7.3" c-t-c bands
326mm / 12.8" :: 7L / LP50 :: 7L 1" wider with bands with 10L's c-t-c
356mm / 14.0" :: 10L / S72 :: Next metric tank twins (10L/S72) is same width as ...

## 215mm / 8.5" c-t-c bands
355mm / 14.0" :: 7L / LP50 :: 7L in 215mm/8.5" c-t-c bands.
393mm / 15.5 :: (178mm) / LP85 :: LP85 looks to need the widest bands(?)
.......... / 15.75" :: (...) / HP100, HP120
419mm / 16.5" :: 15L / LP95, LP120

# Stolen from post 67 of tiny doubles: c5diver has 2xLP50 w/ Marex 44 lb. wing and thinks reusing an existing Marex 55 lb. would better than buying the 44 lb. one.

# Edits: Many to expand from LP50 -> 7L -> reuse of next larger wing -> 10/12L search, and to clarify and report some results.

Last edited:
I hate to sound trite, but those are perfect sidemount tanks. I have a pair and they go well with my Nomad LTZ.

I hate to sound trite, but those are perfect sidemount tanks. I have a pair and they go well with my Nomad LTZ.
They are perfect sidemount tanks.... And will see use as such. But I still have to master some DM tasks, sometimes help teach, and some suggest that heavy surf and sidemount do not always walk hand in hand. Though I'm not sure if that really applies to LP50s...? And I've always wanted to try lots of doubles things. So, a side trip through twins land, with tanks that will likely feature prominently in a future side mount rig... :), and leave me with a 'It's just a back mount rig' for ocean assisting.

some suggest that heavy surf and sidemount do not always walk hand in hand.
I bet they will with those tanks. I love mine.

I like the Oxycheq 42lb Vertex wing for LP50's.

I started diving my tiny doubles with an Apeks WTX3 singles wing. I think it had 34 pounds of lift. Apeks discontinued manufacturing that wing, but you may still be able to find it for sale.

Last year somebody mentioned that Tobin (@cool_hardware52) at DSS had manufactured a small run of wings for "tiny doubles" at one time. I reached out to Tobin about it, he looked around and found a Torus 32 that he had designed for LP 45 and 50s. I think I received one of the last of his stock. I find it to be the perfect wing for my "tiny doubles".

Tobin is in the middle of moving his entire operation from California to Nevada and is out of business for a while so he is not going to be able to help you out any time soon. I think you would like the Apeks WTX3 if you can find one.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-13_23-37-23.png
    upload_2018-7-13_23-37-23.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 128
So, I just did some snooping around, apparently Oxycheq no longer makes the 42# Vertex wing in a single bladder configuration anymore, it's all double bladder, double inflator.

So, I just did some snooping around, apparently Oxycheq no longer makes the 42# Vertex wing in a single bladder configuration anymore, it's all double bladder, double inflator.
Thanks for pointing the Vertex out! Dual bladder is prudent for my wetsuit, but might be unneeded expense for others.

Northeastscubasupply's description of a picture of the Vertex 42 lb describes it as nice for small doubles, and rebreathers, thought the item is labeled as for 42# Signature series, which would not seem suited. I emailed them about that likely mixup.

Back
Top Bottom