Twin Tanks set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave711

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've got a question for anyone who'd like to answer. Please keep in mind that eventually I'd like to get into Tech diving but for now its about maximizing bottom time and possibly doing some single gas deco in the future.

Initial conditions: I have a lot of my own gear, including: 5 AL80s, 4 Conshelf XIV 1st Stages and, 8 Conshelf style 2nd stages. While in the Navy, I had easy access to obtaining conshelf XIVs. I liked the reg, and could rebuild it in my sleep, so I loaded up.

What I'd like to do: Band two AL80s together and use a twin tank style manifold. Since I'm not really ready to start tech diving, I was thinking of just using DIN inserts on the twin manifold so that I can use the regulators I already own. This way I can still have redundancy, since I already have more than 2 regulators to use, but have room to grow when I make the transition to tech diving later. Eventually, when I can afford to start doing tech diving, I will buy new DIN style 1st stages.

Thoughts?

Yes, I realize this isn't the most ideal set up, but I don't see why I shouldn't be able to use what I've already got. I like diving but I don't want to be so broke I can't afford to use my gear.

Use what you've got but be aware of the fact your using yoke first stages. This means, no to some overheads, extra caution when handling your tanks and have spare parts handy. Go slow and shallow while learning valve drills, stay within ndls. Watch YouTube for how to's and ask questions. Dive safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I understand what you want to do, there is nothing particularly wrong with it. I sense that your specific question involves using yoke valves and yoke regulators. OK, no problem. While the general recommendation is for DIN, in open water diving, I don't see a particular problem with yoke. When / if you get to the point of diving in an overhead environment, I would personally prefer something a bit more secure, or at least impervious to being knocked about a bit (i.e. DIN).

One thought (perhaps a clarification if I have m is-understood your plans): if you want to be in a position 'to be able to use what I've got already' you could skip the expense of the manifold and right/left hand valves. Just get a pair of bands and create a set of backmount independent doubles. Why bother with the manifold? With independent doubles you still have one of the goals you have set - redundancy. Extending that thought, some would say, why bother with the bands at all - go sidemount. I don't know what you have in the way of a BCD / harness, and that may be an extra expense irrespective of what path you choose. But, you still have several possibilities that might allow you to use what you have now, with min imal additional expense, at this point. Just a thought.

Thanks! I understand the no to some overhead environments. Not a big deal, I don't really do any wreck penetration yet anyways. I have also thought about running independent twins, and I have done a dive with slinging an AL80. I currently have lots invested in a Zeagle Ranger. My thought as to getting a manifold was that then I wouldn't have to worry about switching regulators to balance the tanks. I might continue to sling a tank when the need arises, but its slightly akward. That being said, I might just have adjust where the bottom strap is on my stage set up. Switching to sidemount would be too expensive I think and I like back mounted tanks. Thank you all for your input.

The problem with using inserts is that not only do you have a yoke connection, you've now got another O-ring in the loop that you're never checking...

BTW -- You can convert those conshelf first stages to DIN. Aqualung Part #107455.

I've looked into converting the Conshelf to DIN. I would like to just order the part, but my LDS won't let me to the work to change them over. i.e. lots more money per reg to convert them. I know I'm adding an extra o-ring to the set up but, I do leak checks with my buddy before every dive and have plenty of extra o-rings on hand. FWIW Id rather just get the inserts for now and get DIN regs later when I can afford cold water regs.

You mean they won't order the parts kit and just sell you the kit? Leisurepro and many other online shops sell various DIN conversion kits... If your LDS won't sell you a part, then there's no shame in buying online at all.

If you mean they won't let you work on your reg physically in the store with their tools, I guess I can see their perspective.

I've looked into converting the Conshelf to DIN. I would like to just order the part, but my LDS won't let me to the work to change them over.

Don't ask them. It's none of their business.

I had asked this LDS before about ordering the dry environment kits for my conshelf 14s' since Aqualung won't sell parts to the general public. The LDS said he could but that he had to do the install. I decided to just continue messing around with the silicone. I'd really just prefer to buy new regs when the time comes to go to DIN, at that point in time it won't be worth the hassle of converting the Conshelfs.

---------- Post added February 15th, 2015 at 05:14 PM ----------

But now that I'm curious again... are there any easy ways to convert a conshelf to DIN? I saw a thread about the titan din conversion but it doesn't match up correctly to the conshelf. I know theres a part exactly for the conshelf, but it seems elusive and expensive.

I don't recall immediately but you could try John at northeastscubasupply.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom