Invade Monterey, CA (a.k.a. Meet & Greet): Sept 5-7, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When: September 5-7, 2008

Where: Monterey, CA

More details to follow.

RSVP here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1484&day=2008-9-5&c=32

Hotel Info:
Travelodge | Monterey California Hotel | Monterey, CA 93940 | Near Pool, Fitness Center & 17 mile drive - 4 miles

The rate that they are offering us is a special rate of $72.00 for one bed and $89.00 for two beds.
(The regular rate without discount is $139.00 1 bed and $149.00 for 2 beds.)
When you call ask for a ScubaBoard Room to get the discounted rate. I've 15 rooms on hold (7 single beds and 8 double beds).
Phone: 831-373-3381

They have a free continental breakfast and free high speed internet for those of us that need to stay connected. For those that like a heartier breakfast there is a restaurant on site. There is also a pool.

Boat Information found on this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3397585-post25.html

Local information:

Shopping on Cannery Row in Monterey California
Monterey Bay Aquarium: Home Page
The Body Suite Day Spa

Monterey Whale Watching: Princess Monterey Whale Watching – Whale watch boat cruises of Monterey Bay, California
Sanctuary Cruises out of Moss Landing: Sanctuary Cruises | Whale Watching on Monterey Bay | Year-Round Whale Watching and Special Charters
(Note from Sarita: I can't personally recommend the first, but my husband and I have gone out with Sanctuary Cruises and thought that they were fantastic and I would highly recommend them. That being said, they operate out of Moss Landing which is about 19 miles out of Monterey. It is a nice area though - sea kayaking, lots of seals, otters, etc.)

And here is some information on Sea Kayaking in that area: Kayak Connection Sea Kayaking Instruction, Rentals and Tours (Elk Horn Slough). There are also kayak rentals in Monterey: Monterey Bay Kayaks - Home and Monterey Kayaking - Bicycle Rentals - Adventures by the Sea

Please be aware, this is a scheduled fun dive. No one is instructing, guiding, supervising, or in any way responsible for anyone other than ourselves. It is each diver's responsibility to plan and conduct his/her own dives.

I really like that Lone Oak has some diver facilities (thanks for the link micboucher!) Monterey Lodging Monterey Hotel Monterey CA Hotel - Lone Oak Lodge Monterey Bay CA .

I'm going to shoot them an email to see what they can do for us on our weekend as far as group rates. I also want to check to make sure that they can accommodate many of us. Once I hear back, I'll post the information.

We'll definitely have to have some excursions to the Aquarium and to Cannery Row for shopping. I know that my husband (non-diver) will want to golf so we can plan that for those that want to do that too.

You might not be able to get a lot of rooms at the Lone Oak as they are kind of small. That being said, there are several other motel-ish places nearby as well. Let me know what I can do to help with anything Ann Marie.

Okay peeps, do we want to do shore or boat diving?

Is there much difference?

Sarita, since it sounds like you are familiar, would you either give me your favorite boat name, or contact them to see if we can get on the boat and get a group rate?

I'm thinking that I personally would like to do a boat dive on Saturday (unless shore diving is really good), go out to dinner as a group Saturday night, and then play around Monterey on Sunday. Those that want to get in some beach diving could on Sunday too. Since I'm bringing a non-diver, unless he golfs both days, I have to plan some time above water. :wink:

It looks like Lone Oak has no vacancies for that weekend. :(

Trying the Travelodge on N. Fremont: Travelodge | Monterey California Hotel | Monterey, CA 93940 | Near Pool, Fitness Center & 17 mile drive - 4 miles Their website does show that they have at least 9 rooms currently available for that weekend. I am contacting them to see if we can get a group discount.

Ann Marie - I actually have only ever done one boat dive in Monterey. I am sure that there are others in NorCal that are more knowledgeable. I will ask around - or please, post any suggestions here. Much depends on the #s of people... Shore diving in Monterey is good - there are many different sites to choose from.

We'll definitely have to have some excursions to the Aquarium and to Cannery Row for shopping. I know that my husband (non-diver) will want to golf so we can plan that for those that want to do that too.

Do you have kids? I think the going rate at Pebble Beach is 1 first born :) The others on the peninsula are a little under that.

There are also some nice wineries in the area (and on the way up) that some of the guys know about if that is your thing

Additionally, there is the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz - about 45 miles up the Peninsula. Good for kids and we should be in the "indian summer" then as well.

Do you have kids? I think the going rate at Pebble Beach is 1 first born :) The others on the peninsula are a little under that.

There are also some nice wineries in the area (and on the way up) that some of the guys know about if that is your thing

I took my husband to Pebble for his 40th B-Day (he is much older than I am! :wink:) We actually stayed at Spanish Bay, because I thought it was nicer. But he did play Pebble. Don't know if he'd want to again. At Spanish Bay during sunset a bagpiper closes the course by walking up the 18th hole to stop at the green. We had cocktails on the patio there and watched him. It was very memorable.

I'll be there have a room reserved. :D

I think the Cypress Sea can handle the most divers on their boat but it looks like it's already reserved on the 6th. Cypress Charters

Sanctuary looks like their schedule is still open for the 6th, but they only bring 6 divers out at a time. Sanctuary Charters

Beachhopper looks like their calendar is still open and they can take 12 divers. http://beachhopper2.com/

Silver Prince can take 16 divers but I don't know what their calendar looks like for that weekend. Dive Monterey and Carmel on The Silver Prince

Those are the only dive charters I know of but there may be more.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom