Trip Report Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my communications with Aldora they mention booking specific days/itineraries can be challenging because of possible port closures due to winds/Norte. My question is, in everyone's experience, how often does that actually happen from mid-December to the beginning of January?
Cozumel is closing sections of the reef on a rotating basis to reduce stress on the reef, and according to the dive op I used, which reef will be closed when is hard to predict.

was just in the process of doing that :)

To answer your question...I guess I don't really have a choice...if it gets blown out it gets blown out. Me being me, I'd prefer to have my itinerary as set as possible, mostly due to booking those other things. In the end, I might be disappointed but I'm not going to lose my mind if it does get blown out...I'm on vaca, I'll roll with it. And in the end my number one goal is diving, all of the other stuff is ancillary.

Any chance they can predict it a day or two ahead of time based on weather predictions?

:)
There's a member, Christy who owned Blue XT Sea, that had a great spreadsheet of nortes by month for about three years. I can't find that post anymore.

There's a member, Christy who owned Blue XT Sea, that had a great spreadsheet of nortes by month for about three years. I can't find that post anymore.
I saw a couple of iterations on various threads...last i saw was in 2018 and she mentioned she hadn't been keeping it updated so I stopped looking. It seemed from what was in the spreadsheet January was the heavy month and December averaged 2-3 days. Of course, weather patterns have shifted quite a bit since then. but it gave some indication/baseline.

Cozumel is closing sections of the reef on a rotating basis to reduce stress on the reef, and according to the dive op I used, which reef will be closed when is hard to predict.
The marine park posts the reef closure schedule on its Facebook page. (No need for an account.) This was posted a month ago, showing San Francisco and Santa Rosa are currently closed:
1668480861975.png

Back
Top Bottom