Interesting test day in the pool..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So I've been trying to get a cold day in a Florida spring for a while now. Hoping to test my drysuit undergarments in a proper environment. While speaking to a friend, he noted that his pool was now COLD. I asked how cold and he said he'd go check the thermometer. "Fifty Five" he says. PERFECT!!! A chance to try my fleece as well as my thinsulate in something colder than the normal 68F of Morrison.

So I tossed my gear in the car today and drove over. He's not a diver so I spent some time talking about my gear, put the oxygen at the steps of the pool "just in case", and got dressed in the fleece. Here was my layering:

Base :Top = Underarmour cold gear Bottom = Underarmour warm gear shorts
Mid Layer: Top = Polarmax midweight long Bottom = Polarmax expedition weight long
Undergarment: USIA Exolite Fleece (about 200g I think)
Socks: Thin wool socks as a base then Smartwool Hiking socks on top

I got dressed, walked into the pool to fully squeeze the suit, then got it. For today, I wanted to test the thermals with full squeeze at 10ft. I stayed in the water about 20 minutes total with this config. At the end of the time, I just stayed at the surface (head out of water) and talked to him for another 10-15 minutes. I noted that I felt "cool" while just floating there talking. I was not uncomfortable at all and not cold. I felt like I could have done that 30 more minutes. All in all, a very successful test.

I got out, warmed my hands up (no gloves at all) and had a nice hour out of the water. For the second test, I would be keeping all the base layer and mid layer, and just changing the undergarment. For the final test, it was to be my Pinnacle Evolution undergarment. I put that on, and got dressed. Walked into the water to vent the suit, and the difference was immediate. Before I could feel the coolness of the water, but was quite comfy with the fleece. I didn't feel the water with the Pinnacle.

I stayed in the water about 35 minutes with the Pinnacle suit on. Did some pool maintenance while I was down there, played with weighting, etc. I never felt the water on my legs or core. Nothing. What was odd, was that when I got out, I didn't need to go warm my hands. My core was so much warmer, my hands never really got cold.

I now feel confident in taking this suit diving in water down to 45F for at least 30-45 minutes. I put zero air in the suit with either undergarment. With a couple squirts of air, I feel the Pinnacle suit will keep me plenty warm for any diving I have planned other than the great lakes. But I am going to have to get some dry gloves!

The only bad news the entire day was that I flooded my can light. :shakehead:

Yes, pools make good test sites!

Just as a warning . . . I have found that almost anything will keep me comfortable for 45 minutes in 50 degree water. It's the next 15 minutes that's crunch time. Not a problem if you're predicting 30 minute bottom times, but if you're considering deco, you need more data.

Yes, pools make good test sites!

Just as a warning . . . I have found that almost anything will keep me comfortable for 45 minutes in 50 degree water. It's the next 15 minutes that's crunch time. Not a problem if you're predicting 30 minute bottom times, but if you're considering deco, you need more data.

I bought the Pinnacle for diving off the Carolina coast off boats. Generally 45 minute - 1 hour dive profiles, no deco.

The bulk of my anticipated diving will fall into 3 ranges:

68F+ - Local waters.
50-60F - Eastern coast.
34-42 - Great Lakes.

I think I have confirmed I am solid for the first two, and I haven't bought a suit for the last one yet.

Well I can speak from experience that in Lake Erie at least, it'll be in the 42 to 48 range at depth, but as soon as you get above 70 feet or so, it warms right up and gives you a nice relaxing deco/safety stop in the summer. Of course in the winter, you're gonna be in the low 40's the whole time.

Do you have a trip up to the lakes planned anytime soon?

Nice review. Which Pinnacle ug do you have? I have the lightweight one that seams to be pretty warm worn over "Hot Chiily" fleece thermals.

I have the Pinnacle Evolution. It's the one right below the Merino Evolution, which is their warmest.

Do you have a trip up to the lakes planned anytime soon?

May/June timeframe. I am supposed to be attending the Ghost Ships Festival in March and will try to make arrangements then.

Where is the ghost ships festival located? I've not heard about this.

Back
Top Bottom