Interested in selling used tanks to local Pawn Shop(s), any tips/experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really wanting to pay for 4 hydros, 4 visuals, and tear down and reassembly of manifolds.

Most dive shops will do it for you without extra charge.

I appreciate your input/suggestions and will take them under advisement. All things considered, I could tolerate something like $ 500 for the 85's and maybe $300 - $ 400 for the 76's.

Reasonable expectations if they are in hydro/vip.

Best wishes.

Don't worry about it @scubafanatic. You can just do it yourself with minimal time and effort. Make a decent plan on how to proceed.
Since tanks are tough to sell, put them on scubaboard, craigslist and ebay (state local pick up only). State that the tanks are not hydroed. You will have to price them accordingly.

I would hydro and VIP them inexpensively as noted by the posters above. A few pics with your phone and it's done. People are looking for those tanks. With the correct price and attitude, they will sell. They are valuable.

It's not that hard.

I will think it over, Thanks.

I appreciate all the suggestions/input so far, I was just shocked the 'tech' LDS told me to get lost...

Some shops have a unique way of doing business, for whatever reason, sometimes it works, sometimes they go out of business. It could be as easy as they don't want their clientele to believe second hand is a good thing.

Back to the topic, although I don't sell dive gear at this time, I have used Craigslist to sell and buy a lot of things. I have buyers call me and discuss the gear and transaction, cash and how firm I am on the price, and where to meet, and I do not divulge my actual address until they set a time to come out. I have no issue with meeting at my house when selling, but deal in the driveway. I have met some really nice people, especially when buying dive gear (talked more about diving than the transaction). Selling for a reasonable price is the key.

Some shops have a unique way of doing business, for whatever reason, sometimes it works, sometimes they go out of business. It could be as easy as they don't want their clientele to believe second hand is a good thing.

Back to the topic, although I don't sell dive gear at this time, I have used Craigslist to sell and buy a lot of things. I have buyers call me and discuss the gear and transaction, cash and how firm I am on the price, and where to meet, and I do not divulge my actual address until they set a time to come out. I have no issue with meeting at my house when selling, but deal in the driveway. I have met some really nice people, especially when buying dive gear (talked more about diving than the transaction). Selling for a reasonable price is the key.

They weren't rude to me or anything, but they shot me down fast in letting me know they only deal/sell new gear and have NO interest in used whatsoever, I'm thinking they don't want to remind their customers how much their new gear will instantly depreciate once they walk out the door as you mentioned. They are one of the very few shops in Dallas/Ft. Worth that have stood the test of time (several decades I think) so they must be doing something right, but I went to them as they are the only 'tech' shop I'm aware of still open the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

But I'll give your suggestion consideration, Thanks.

As a rule of thumb, when I have sold anything I always get the buyer to ring me, and then do a call back to verify it is a real telephone number. While CLID has lost some of its value wth the use of SIP and VoIP it does give you something to verify the buyer is legitimate. I never give out my address in response to email inquiries

try the scubadillo dive club in dallas or diving rebels in arlington. if you still have the original single tank valves, an option would be to drain and disassemble the doubles yourself. get them hydroed as singles. sell the bands and manifold separate from the tanks. may get slightly more money and probably easier to sell.

Place an ad in the for sale section of Scuba board. Empty the tanks and unscrew them off the manifolds. Anyone interested will know they are out of hydro. A quick inspection inside to show they look to be in good shape and the new owner will take them in for hydro and inspections. Unless I know the seller personally, any out of date tank you can usually do a quick mini-VIS and tell if it is a rusty POS or if it has life in it.

Doesn't Scubatoys sell used gear or do trade ins? They are a great shop if you haven't been in there.

Good luck.

Jay

try the scubadillo dive club in dallas or diving rebels in arlington. if you still have the original single tank valves, an option would be to drain and disassemble the doubles yourself. get them hydroed as singles. sell the bands and manifold separate from the tanks. may get slightly more money and probably easier to sell.

Perhaps a good idea IF I decide to sink more $ into them for the hydros/visuals. Will consider it.

Doesn't Scubatoys sell used gear or do trade ins? They are a great shop if you haven't been in there.

Good luck.

Jay

I have not called them yet, my impression is used gear there consists of customer returns that are then discounted as 'used', vs buying used non-Scubatoys items, but I can certainly check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom