Interested in selling used tanks to local Pawn Shop(s), any tips/experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

try the scubadillo dive club in dallas or diving rebels in arlington. if you still have the original single tank valves, an option would be to drain and disassemble the doubles yourself. get them hydroed as singles. sell the bands and manifold separate from the tanks. may get slightly more money and probably easier to sell.

The Arlington group would be closest, but a consideration either way.

Go
As a rule of thumb, when I have sold anything I always get the buyer to ring me, and then do a call back to verify it is a real telephone number. While CLID has lost some of its value wth the use of SIP and VoIP it does give you something to verify the buyer is legitimate. I never give out my address in response to email inquiries

good tips.

Perhaps a good idea IF I decide to sink more $ into them for the hydros/visuals. Will consider it.

you can skip the visual and take it direct to koetter fire protection or dfw fire equipment for the hydro. having the hydro is enough to get the tank sold and should be 20 to 25 each for the tanks. although the 45 each that scubatoys charges for hydro/vis/fill isn't too bad.

The first thing you can do (and should've done already), is the simplest thing, which is to at least get them posted on your local Craigslist.
Setting up and account, as well as posting an ad and pics on CL, is simple and quick. There's no downside to taking this super-easy step, and you could quite possibly not have to go any further.
Facebook Marketplace is another good option, and around here, it seems to get more attention than Craigslist (presumably because CL has gotten some bad publicity in recent years from scammers and bandits, while on FB you can usually check the other guys' profile, FWIW).
I also agree that you should get them hydro'd first. Buying un-hydro'd tanks is kind of a gamble, so saving the buyer the trouble and cost of doing the job, should at least pay for itself, if not more.

Faber 85's are one of the most versatile tanks, perfect for single tank, doubles, or sidemount. I don't know how you managed to spend $1500 on them new but I've also never bought a new tank. In hydro with a quality manifold and bands, very most you could ask is around $500. That is pretty much the standard asking price for used doubles. But out of hydro with quality gear, $400. Out of hydro with unknown quality gear, $350 is pushing it.

I've never heard of LP 76's but there's a lot I've never heard of...if they happened to be older 72's, $200 is probably reasonable. HP80's with skinny neck, same. HP80's with 3/4" neck, should be priced like the LP85's.

I don't get the opposition to listing them for sale, especially when the other option is to give them away for free. There are many facebook groups for buying and selling, for general items or scuba especially. I'd be willing to drive 4 hours for a set of $300 LP85 doubles, and I already have around 25 tanks sitting around. You can never have enough lp85's.

It's better just to never stop tech diving, that way the gear can retain whatever value you think in your head. The real challenge is when you told your significant other that they only cost $300 to begin with.

A good friend told me "I have never not regretted selling one of my tanks."

I've never heard of LP 76's but there's a lot I've never heard of...if they happened to be older 72's, $200 is probably reasonable. HP80's with skinny neck, same. HP80's with 3/4" neck, should be priced like the LP85's.

I have a set LP76s. Bought them hoping they would be slightly lighter dry than my LP85s. Unfortunately that is not the case. They were made by Faber for ScubaPro in the 90s.

Post them on the Cave Divers Forum, as is where is. There are a number of cave divers in your area that travel back and forth to Florida, and in the Jacob's Well area near Austin. With all the Covididdity going around, the traveling has been curtailed.

BTW, I have a pair of lp 77's, the Worthington version of the 76's. Great side mount tanks.

I have a set of the 76's. Also known as 75.5s. My absolute favorite sidemount cylinders for anything down to 160 ft or so.
I've known people to drive a few hundred miles to pick up a good set of LP85's at a decent price. Whatever shop you contacted is one of those that will probably go out of business, and frankly should. They want to screw over customers.
That guy they sell the used set of doubles to is also usually the one that will come back time after time because they helped him out one time.

The first thing you can do (and should've done already), is the simplest thing, which is to at least get them posted on your local Craigslist.
Setting up and account, as well as posting an ad and pics on CL, is simple and quick. There's no downside to taking this super-easy step, and you could quite possibly not have to go any further.
Facebook Marketplace is another good option, and around here, it seems to get more attention than Craigslist (presumably because CL has gotten some bad publicity in recent years from scammers and bandits, while on FB you can usually check the other guys' profile, FWIW).
I also agree that you should get them hydro'd first. Buying un-hydro'd tanks is kind of a gamble, so saving the buyer the trouble and cost of doing the job, should at least pay for itself, if not more.

Yup. I generally dislike dealing with Craigslist sales, but scuba cylinders are easy to unload. Price to reflect the lack of current hydro and vis (I wouldn’t mess with doing that if I was just going to sell them) and you should be able to move them OP. You’ll get a lot more out of them than a pawn shop would give you.

Still exploring options that don't require me to necessarily have to meet the public/random unverified strangers, both due to COVID and privacy/security reasons. Leisure Pro advertises they buy used gear, they don't specifically mention tanks but they do mention regs/computers/BCDs as desired (they won't purchase 'soft' goods--neoprene/masks/fins/snorkels)....and there's a chain of stores with 2 outlets in my metroplex called : 'Play It Again Sports' so I will make inquiries with those companies and see their responses.

I've gots tons of surplus dive gear I should probably thin out, but my tanks are the heaviest/bulkiest/illquid/most expensive to ship items, and are eating up valuable garage space I now need for other things, so I'm focusing on thse first.

It's pretty easy to box up and ship a reg set, but sets of steel twin doubles are another story entirely!

I appreciate everyone's brain-storming on my behalf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom