Interested in selling used tanks to local Pawn Shop(s), any tips/experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pawnshops have got to be the WORST way to dump them. Scrap value only, most likely, AND they'll take a cut.
At least try the dive clubs, and Craigslist.
Ok, you spent $2300 on them. Get over it.
Even in good condition, you'd be lucky to get $4-500 for the 85s and less for the 76s.
If you could get $200 for each set off Craigslist, I'd take it and run.

Too bad, where are you located? I would call around to other dive shops to see if they would be interested even if you have to drive a bit. I would only buy sight unseen if they had been recently hydroed which is cheaper if you avoid a LDS. There are many hydro shops that do fire extinguishers and industrial bottles that could easily do those LP cylinders. If you are close by I would gladly make a reasonable donation to your local charity of your choice to take them off your hands. :eyebrow:

Not really wanting to pay for 4 hydros, 4 visuals, and tear down and reassembly of manifolds.

Pawnshops have got to be the WORST way to dump them. Scrap value only, most likely, AND they'll take a cut.
Even in good condition, you'd be lucky to get $4-500 for the 85s and less for the 76s.

I appreciate your input/suggestions and will take them under advisement. All things considered, I could tolerate something like $ 500 for the 85's and maybe $300 - $ 400 for the 76's.

Like I said hydros outside of a LDS are cheap. I can pay $25 each if I bring them in after breaking them down to a local industrial hydro shop. Leave them apart for your buyer to inspect and they can reassemble them.

Unless you are in cave country it will be tough to get good money for them. And to get that much you will need to have them hydrod and recent visuals done from a local dive shop. Best is the Craiglist or look for a local dive club's Facebook page.

Use SB classifieds. There are more divers on SB in Tx than you’d suspect.

I've thought about it as I have bought items using the SB classifieds. I'm just debating how much of my personal time/energy I'll be gambling with tire kickers vs real buyers.

Those tanks are valuable and you have got good advice above.
Pawn shop will give you minimal amount of $.
With some patience and a little work, you should be able to recoup a decent amount of money.

BTW: my guess; Pawn shop will give you $100 for all 4 if that since they don't know much about tanks and will minimize their values.

Ultimately you have to decide though.

Those tanks are valuable and you have got good advice above.
Pawn shop will give you minimal amount of $.
With some patience and a little work, you should be able to recoup a decent amount of money.

I appreciate all the suggestions/input so far, I was just shocked the 'tech' LDS told me to get lost, when surely they have tech students who can't afford new expensive doubles, or the shop could at least could have bought them from me for them to loan/rent to their 'tech' diver students. I know 'sidemount' became a thing some years back, so maybe back-mounted 'doubles' run counter to their new sales model of pushing 'sidemount'?

I appreciate all the suggestions/input so far, I was just shocked the 'tech' LDS told me to get lost, when surely they have tech students who can't afford new expensive doubles, or the shop could at least could have bought them from me for them to loan/rent to their 'tech' diver students. I know 'sidemount' became a thing some years back, so maybe back-mounted 'doubles' run counter to their new sales model of pushing 'sidemount'?
Don't worry about it @scubafanatic. You can just do it yourself with minimal time and effort. Make a decent plan on how to proceed.
Since tanks are tough to sell, put them on scubaboard, craigslist and ebay (state local pick up only). State that the tanks are not hydroed. You will have to price them accordingly.

I would hydro and VIP them inexpensively as noted by the posters above. A few pics with your phone and it's done. People are looking for those tanks. With the correct price and attitude, they will sell. They are valuable.

It's not that hard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom