Interacting with sea life look but don't touch!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Horse makes a fine burger, and an even better jacket. If fish were even half as tasty/useful, I'd be a dedicated spearo.

I've eaten horse and it wasn't bad at all.
... so are white people ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bring on the horseburgers and Chromexcel FQHH leather!
04.gif
Okay, I do realize this is not the Pub.

BUT: One of our local restaurants has a Quack & Track feature item. Yep: duck breast and horse flank.

Yummy...

P.S. It is kind of unclear if the consumption of horse is illegal or just shunned here in Ontario. The frenchy's next door love it. I do too.

CRAP, end this thread. Quebecers eating Pony? We Canadians dislike Quebecers because they wanted to leave in 1980 and '95. Now they don't give a fart. Geez, nothing to talk about. See my thing in The Pub (it's good)--has to do with U.S. citizenship!

Okay, I do realize this is not the Pub.

BUT: One of our local restaurants has a Quack & Track feature item. Yep: duck breast and horse flank.

Yummy...

P.S. It is kind of unclear if the consumption of horse is illegal or just shunned here in Ontario. The frenchy's next door love it. I do too.

The problem with many of the horses sent to slaughter is that they are full of drugs that make them not good for consumption. Few slaughterhouses were willing to feed them for the requisite time to those drugs/wormers to leave their system. In Europe, they raise horses specifically for slaughter. Here, they are cast-off pet horses.

The problem with many of the horses sent to slaughter is that they are full of drugs that make them not good for consumption. Few slaughterhouses were willing to feed them for the requisite time to those drugs/wormers to leave their system. In Europe, they raise horses specifically for slaughter. Here, they are cast-off pet horses.

Not all of them are cast off pets, some are wild horses on federal land that are rounded up by contractors working for the interior dept and sold to slaughterhouses.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2015 at 09:27 AM ----------

Well, there are times animals want to touch you and want you to touch them back. The 1st time I swam with Manatees there was one that swam with me, nuzzled me and turned over presumably to get its belly pet! We swam side by side the Manatee upside down with me rubbing its belly! An unforgettable 1st encounter.

I believe the US passed some silly law making it illegal to raise horses specifically for slaughter, meaning Horween has to work with what it can get from natural causes (or possibly wild horse culls as mentioned above, not sure if they get any of their hides from that or not). Of course, meat is a lot more sensitive to how the animal lived/was fed than the hide.

Wait, isn't the modern horse an invasive species to North America?

Let's at least be accurate about the horse. Horses disappeared from the Americas long before the first humans crossed the Bering Straits. These primitive ancestral equus were small animals and vanished from the Americas about a million years ago.

Some of these very primitive ancestors of the modern horse made it into Siberian Asia, and spread widely over the millennia; to Africa, where they evolved into the Zebra, into central Asia, where they evolved into the Jackass, and into the Middle East and Europe, where they evolved into the modern horse, from which domesticated horses have been selectively bred.

The modern domesticated horse is indeed an invasive species in the Americas. Modern undomesticated horses are nearly extinct, surviving only in small numbers in heavily forested areas on the border between Poland and Russia. Tarpany. Beautiful creatures.

Hey guys can we focus on the sea life. Unless you are talking about seahorses I'd suggest we stop beating that dead horse and get back on track :giggle:

... now that's just a mean thing to do to a horse ... :rofl3:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom