Interacting with sea life look but don't touch!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a very different matter when you are dealing with an invasive species. All bets are off there. The same with game fish, if taken on a sustainable level. I am not adverse to spearing a nice snapper, or two. But, when a species is driven to scarcity, like hog snappers in some areas, this behavior needs to be modified.

Wait, isn't the modern horse an invasive species to North America?

Bring on the horseburgers and Chromexcel FQHH leather! :D

... so are white people ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Horse makes a fine burger, and an even better jacket. If fish were even half as tasty/useful, I'd be a dedicated spearo.

Uh,all people are invasive on this continent and horses existed here long ago. I never cared for either, both are smelly and cost to much too keep.

As per usual Bob I find myself in agreement with your no nonsense cut to the chase assessment of the situation. The best balance often is found in the middle.

I got a video once of a little boxfish being chased by another fish. The boxfish had gotten into a large open area with little opportunity to hide. Bigger fish seemed to think a box lunch would be nice and started the chase. Obviously the boxfish couldn't swim fast enough for the cover of the kelp to out run the predator. He was able to change direction faster and spin off in a different direction so the fish would overshoot him. The chase went on as a series of darts and circles and spins getting ever closer to the kelp. The Box fish was obviously tiring badly the predator also using a lot of energy chasing his meal as this chase went on for 5 to 10 minutes.

I hung back and watched (and got video for a bit). I felt bad for the boxfish who was clearly in trouble. He had made what was almost a fatal error in getting somewhere he shouldn't have been. The other fish was obviously hungry and needed to eat. I would suggest both were stressed and using valuable energy reserves playing their natural roles.

While I don't fish or spear some humans are predators hunting food. Seriously... we are still part of the food chain.
icosm14.gif
I don't like to watch critters killed for food if I don't have to no matter what the predator is. Human IMHO have to capacity to do it kinder and hopefully will do so.

Stressing critters or messing with the environment for those who hunt with a camera is a different issue. Should the rules be harsher for them because they aren't intent on killing the critter? Should they be less stringent because they will at least leave the critter alive? Who gets to decide and how do they qualify to make the decision?

Then there is cruelty.... unintentional is perhaps less offensive to us but is still cruelty t the individual effected! My hope would be that divers think of what they do, try to be as well informed as possible and create the least amount of damage possible. Protected areas and species obviously need to be left alone and ignorance is no excuse!

Not really, it was more of a reintroduction. They were here long before humans were. Those bad cavemen harassed them all to death....then ate them.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2015 at 11:16 PM ----------

I've eaten horse and it wasn't bad at all.

Me too. There are a lot of horses I would rather eat than ride.

I wonder if we don't sometimes place too much emphasis on stress. I once watched a red rock crab grab ahold of a kelp crab, yank its arms off one by one, and eat them. I have to wonder how much stress this caused the kelp crab, who was being held helplessly as it was all happening. I pondered whether or not I should stop this cruel act ... and decided that no ... this is what life is really like down there. Everyone eventually becomes food for someone else. Sometimes they even kill it first. Compared to that, I wonder how much stress a diver really causes.

Sure, be responsible. They're not toys, they're living creatures. Don't cause harm merely for the sake of entertainment. But sometimes I think the "no touch" policy goes a bit to an extreme that it doesn't really need to. As in most things, the application of common sense is probably a better approach than a platitude. For sure, if you feel strongly about it, don't do it ... but I'd prefer to reserve my judgments to the situation, rather than some blanket policy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would have to say after reading a lot of the posts and mulling over the comments I have noticing that most are OK with touching sea animals to a degree. I don't feel as bad touching some of these creatures, since some have pointed out something that resonates as pretty reasonable. Depending on the circumstances its just fine to interact or touch sea life as long as you use common sense. Obviously chasing or grabbing a creature which is trying to escape or hide is a good example of what not to do.

I am not an expert on the stress caused to sea animals when you touch them but I guess some of the experts who have heard all the previous comments could have chimed in and given us some factual data or recommendations as to why we should refrain from touching sea life and why it is important to try to adhere to the look but don't touch message.

I appreciate all those chiming in at least it gives us the opportunity to reflect on this topic and I can see that it really is not as bad as I was thinking. The majority are fine with interacting and touching sea life as part of the dive experience. Common sense is the key, knowing where to draw the line (when you should not pursue interaction with that sea creature) is the most important message that I have learned from this thread.

Frank G

Back
Top Bottom