Instructor Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

popper

Registered
Reaction score
I have been a PADI instructor for 10+ years (never s single issue) and dive through a PADI dive shop. Our insurance has been a blanket store policy that was several thousand dollars for as many instructors as you wanted through HUB. There has been many emails from PADI on this, they (PADI) have basically said its now the wild west on where you get your liability insurance from and our store policy is now 10X what it was. BTW this is a Canadian dive operation. I reached out to DAN and to get personal liability instructor insurance it is basically $1000 but not available in Canada. I teach because I enjoy it, I was already loosing money but it was worth it, this was pretty much my final straw to tear up my instructor card and dive for fun only now.

Wondering what other people specifically in Canada are doing as I have been told this is a Canadian insurance issue not a North American problem?

What do you mean, "this is a Canadian insurance issue"? In the US PADI insurance has also skyrocketed, and many are switching to DAN.

What do you mean, "this is a Canadian insurance issue"? In the US PADI insurance has also skyrocketed, and many are switching to DAN.
Yes, I am bearing this as well for the US.

$1700 CAD. 25 years owsi. I am dropping Padi renewals end of year and just renewing Sdi/tdi. That will save me a bit to offset the huge increase. I think padi Canada totally dropped the ball communicating with its members. What the hell do i pay fees for if not to be kept up to date.

Interesting, sorry I was told this was only a Canadian issue. Marie13, can I ask roughly what is your DAN insurance for instructors down there? I heard it was based on number of students you certify which makes sense as the risk would be higher if you are certifying 1000 students vs. 100.

Interesting, sorry I was told this was only a Canadian issue. Marie13, can I ask roughly what is your DAN insurance for instructors down there? I heard it was based on number of students you certify which makes sense as the risk would be higher if you are certifying 1000 students vs. 100.
I’m not an instructor. I’ve just seen instructor/DM friends talking about the increased cost on social media.

I have been a PADI instructor for 10+ years (never s single issue) and dive through a PADI dive shop. Our insurance has been a blanket store policy that was several thousand dollars for as many instructors as you wanted through HUB. There has been many emails from PADI on this, they (PADI) have basically said its now the wild west on where you get your liability insurance from and our store policy is now 10X what it was. BTW this is a Canadian dive operation. I reached out to DAN and to get personal liability instructor insurance it is basically $1000 cdn. I teach because I enjoy it, I was already loosing money but it was worth it, this was pretty much my final straw to tear up my instructor card and dive for fun only now.

Wondering what other people specifically in Canada are doing as I have been told this is a Canadian insurance issue not a North American problem?
I feel for you, in Europe aquamed pro insurance is 149€, Dan is slightly more expensive but not by far. When I lived in Scandinavia over a decade ago PADI Nordic (that no longer exists) provided the 3rd party insurance together with the membership fees (fees were a bit higher than other regions but still within reason). I am wondering what kind of damages are being paid annually in Canada to justify such prices.

is your DAN insurance $1000 a year for personal professional insurance? (roughly)?

1656514780929.png

Up considerably from 2021 at $699. $629 in 2020.

Not just a Canadian issue. Thank the instructors and shops that have killed and injured so many people the last couple of years. I saw one quote where an insurer was offering a reduced(?) rate of 899 for 500K of coverage. Having been involved with certain entities I can tell you that 500K won't even cover the defense costs if there's an incident. Especially if your co-defendant throws you under the bus.
It is not going to get any better unless there is a seismic change in the certification process.
Those increased costs are one of many reasons I'm not renewing and retiring from teaching.
I'm going to just dive and focus on trying to have fun and where possible, help those injured and the survivors of those killed by the industry to get some peace. And maybe a little justice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom