Instructor bent after running out of air at 40m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the most interesting thing here is the denial that this can happen as described.

Nope. It could have happened as described. My intuition says the odds are not in favour of it happening exactly as described. It seems I am not alone. But as Craig says, without their computer logs and the guy's medical records including test for PFO and MRI scan of the spine, we'll never know.

Please take note of post #133 in this thread and follow the link to the FaceBook page in which a person who was there says the story is total BS.

So all your dives go perfectly to plan and you plan every dive? You never find unexpected circumstances that increase consumption? You never get narced and fail to check your gas? You never get distracted by looking after a buddy? Immune to task obsession?

I think the most interesting thing here is the denial that this can happen as described.

I don't think that it's denial that it can happen, it's just that the official story doesn't ring true, and that's a reasonable basis for our little discussion here.

Of course any given diver could have any one of the problems that you mentioned. What is less believable is that FOUR experienced divers ("dive professionals" according to the transcript) would all simultaneously forget to watch their gas reserves to the point of everybody needing to do a CESA from 30m. Reading the transcript, the injured diver is saying that two people went OOG at 40 m, and then after sharing gas with the other two divers all four of them went OOG at 30 m. That implies that even the donating divers had also gone way beyond any reasonable gas reserves.

You are an experienced diver, and I respect your opinions, but I don't think that the official story stands on it's own merits.

I don't think that it's denial that it can happen, it's just that the official story doesn't ring true, and that's a reasonable basis for our little discussion here.

Of course any given diver could have any one of the problems that you mentioned. What is less believable is that FOUR experienced divers ("dive professionals" according to the transcript) would all simultaneously forget to watch their gas reserves to the point of everybody needing to do a CESA from 30m. Reading the transcript, the injured diver is saying that two people went OOG at 40 m, and then after sharing gas with the other two divers all four of them went OOG at 30 m. That implies that even the donating divers had also gone way beyond any reasonable gas reserves.

You are an experienced diver, and I respect your opinions, but I don't think that the official story stands on it's own merits.

I think you lot need to meet more “experienced profession” divers.

According to the comments on the BBC FaceBook post for this story, the divers, who had no training in decompression diving, planned and executed a deco dive. Thay had staged bottles for decompression, but were unable to locate them when they ascended.

And if this was a planned no-stop dive, they all managed to run OOG in 8 minutes or less bottom time, and in those minutes incur enough gas loading to get one person bent into a wheelchair. It could have happened.

And if this was a planned no-stop dive, they all managed to run OOG in 8 minutes or less bottom time, and in those minutes incur enough gas loading to get one person bent into a wheelchair. It could have happened.
You are assuming a square profile and a lot about how much it take about to bend someone.

According to the comments on the BBC FaceBook post for this story, the divers, who had no training in decompression diving, planned and executed a deco dive. Thay had staged bottles for decompression, but were unable to locate them when they ascended.
Can you provide a link?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom