Installing a dry hood and dry gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bent Benny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently got a drysuit. It is still at the LDS for a couple days so they can trim the neck seal for me and aquaseal the seams (the LDS owner said it would prolong the life of the suit). It is a neoprene suit with neoprene seals.

I probably should have ordered it with a dry hood and dry gloves, but I didn't for some reason. So I am wondering how hard it would be to do that myself. I did a quick Google search but couldn't find anything, though I am sure there are resources if I looked hard enough.

I just got this suit and the water is still warm enough that I don't need my head and hands dry quite yet, but I'm just trying to think ahead. I've seen some dry gloves that have a silicone skirt built in so that you can use them without modifying your suit, but that won't help me with a hood.

From what I have gathered it seems like a silicone ring system would be the best for seals. If I do make these modifications I think it would be best to go that route.

So how hard would it be to change out the neck/wrist seals to a silicone ring system where I could snap in a dry hood and dry gloves? Can anyone offer any resources that would help me do this, or at least give me an idea of what is involved.

Thanks in advance for any help. This community has taught me so much in the short time I have been here.

Unsure why they are re-aquasealing the seams though, the good ones are already sewn, glued, and taped. the Aquaseal will just make it stiffer....

Adding a dry hood is as easy as changing the neck seal, though I'm not entirely convinced in their benefit for most people outside of contaminated water. Just use a good wet-hood.
Dry gloves are wonderful and horrible depending on whether you actually need them or not. That is the same as changing the wrist seals though similar to the neck seal, I'd just dive what you have for a while and see if you really need it which will be based on how long and how many dives you are going to want to do between November and May when the water is in the high 30's and 40's. 1 or 2 dives a day to NDL? Good wet gloves will likely be just fine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom