Install purge valve in Oceanic DataMask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is wrong with learning to property clear a mask? It is the most basic OW skill.

Nobody is saying there is anything wrong with clearing a mask. You learn it in OW. Every diver learns how to clear a mask. I can clear my mask just fine. Given a choice, I prefer a purge valve. It keeps both of my hands free.

---------- Post added September 5th, 2015 at 04:32 PM ----------

Purge valve update.

I am a little nervous about punching a hole in my Oceanic Data Mask so I pulled out some really old masks and found 2 without purge valves. I installed the valves in those mask and when I get a chance I am going to the pool and try it out. If they work to my satisfaction then I will put one in the DataMask. I will post an update once I have put a few "dives" on each mask. Here is the URL of where I bought the purge valves. Adding a Purge Valve to Your Mask - Snorkel-Mart Their customer service was friendly, and fast. Outstanding service. Talk to Rianne in customer care for directions. Each purge valve only cost $2.95. I purchased a hole punch on Amazon Amazon.com: McGill Metal Products 15-Sheet 2-Inch Reach One-Hole Punch, 0.83-Inch Hole, Chrome with Purple (53700) and it got the job done. Remember a 5/16 hole is recommend. It will freak you out the first time you try and install a 1 inch purge in a 5/16 hole; but, it fits perfectly with a little stretching.

I had a few masks that still had fogging problems so I took my Bic lighter to them. One of them took me three times to burn it :redhot:before it would quit fogging. The Scuba Pro mask was a lot easier than the others. You can actually see the mask coating burning off.

I agree - I have to have a purge valve. I like to exhale through my nose even when I'm not clearing my mask.

I imagine you must have a lot of issues with fogging.

And apparently Zeagle Eagle does too. "I had a few masks that still had fogging problems.."

Blowing air though your mask will do that. A good fitting mask will rarely need to be cleared at all.

... A good fitting mask will rarely need to be cleared at all.
True, but some folks can have an extremely hard time getting a mask that fits well.
Older divers, including me, often have very pronounced nasolabial folds (wrinkles) that make a good fit rare.
I never considered a purge mask when I was teaching scuba, because of the prejudice against them, but perhaps now it would make sense. On many dives I’ve carried a few ounces of water in my mask and had to clear more often.

So three legit reasons for purge masks:
- busy hands (e.g. photographers)
- hard-to-fit (e.g. old, wrinkly folks)
- simple preference

I imagine you must have a lot of issues with fogging. ...
Could that be an advantage of a leaky mask? Those of us who often have water in our masks defog with a simple tilt of the head.

I imagine you must have a lot of issues with fogging.

And apparently Zeagle Eagle does too. "I had a few masks that still had fogging problems.."

Blowing air though your mask will do that. A good fitting mask will rarely need to be cleared at all.

My masks never fog once I get the factory coating off of them. Of course I only breath through my nose when I want to clear my mask. It takes me a couple of times to get them really clean; but, once I do I never have to touch them again. I use a little 500 PSI usually at the beginning of a dive trip and it usually lasts me 6 or 7 dives. If you are one of those divers that has a mask that fits perfectly and never have to clear for an entire dive I envy you. Unfortunately, that's not me. I even shaved my beard and mustache for my last COZ trip. It helped a lot; but, still a little leakage. My full face mask never fogs either. That's because it is constantly being flooded with dry air from the reg.

Yoyodyne, your point was a good fitting mask will rarely need to be cleaned. What you should have put is a face that fits a mask well. You are blessed with a face that is easy to fit. I am not. I have tried literally 50, 60 masks to get one that fits and that I like. I currently have 12 masks some costing near $200 bucks and some costing as little as $18 (not counting my DataMask). The best so far was the $18 one; but, I had to "burn" it 3 times to make it non-fog-gable. I also have a slight deviated septum which drips constantly when I swim or dive. I don't know why; but, I know a lot of people that have that problem. I will be glad to trade faces with you. :wink:

Answer me this question, if you had to clear your mask every minute or two on a dive. Would you rather do it by the conventional method or by just breathing out of your nose?

---------- Post added September 6th, 2015 at 01:02 PM ----------

Nasolabial folds. I love that word. Do you mind if I steal it? When God was passing out labial folds I thought that had to do with women and I asked for two.

Instead of a purge valve, had a few issues with them back in the day, I found that if I put just a very slight increase in tension on the top of the mask with the strap placement, whenever I breathe out though my nose the bottom edge of the mask moves to release the pressure and always purges the water.

No DIY, just a bit of technique.

Bob

Instead of a purge valve, had a few issues with them back in the day, I found that if I put just a very slight increase in tension on the top of the mask with the strap placement, whenever I breathe out though my nose the bottom edge of the mask moves to release the pressure and always purges the water.

No DIY, just a bit of technique.

Bob

I will have to try that.

The thing I would be most concerned about in adding a purge valve to this mask would be size of the nose piece. If the valve presses up against the bottom of your nose it's going to cause irritation during every dive and eventually make you hate the mask just because it hurts to use it.

I used to have this with masks in the 80's. The skirts were stiff and fit "tighter" on your face than modern masks do and they always rode up (on me). I broke my nose in 1984 and the constant pressure pushing up on the bottom of my nose was painful on any dive longer than about an hour. I now use a Mares X-vision with reading lenses in it and I would marry that mask if I was single. It fits perfectly and never hurts me (like like my ideal woman ... LOL).

As an aside to this thread, is it possible to remove the data module (hud etc) from the mask and to install it in an after market mask of a different type? I'm asking because with the amount I dive I need to buy a new mask every 3-4 years and I looked it up..... this mask is *wickedly* expensive. More expensive than brand new trimix computer. If you had to lay that kind of cash out every few years your wife would start asking uncomfortable questions!

R..

is it possible to remove the data module (hud etc) from the mask and to install it in an after market mask of a different type?

Sure...

779290022_c8fd682dd4_o.jpg

But seriously... no.

Oceanic-DataMask-HUD.jpg

The thing I would be most concerned about in adding a purge valve to this mask would be size of the nose piece. If the valve presses up against the bottom of your nose it's going to cause irritation during every dive and eventually make you hate the mask just because it hurts to use it.

I used to have this with masks in the 80's. The skirts were stiff and fit "tighter" on your face than modern masks do and they always rode up (on me). I broke my nose in 1984 and the constant pressure pushing up on the bottom of my nose was painful on any dive longer than about an hour. I now use a Mares X-vision with reading lenses in it and I would marry that mask if I was single. It fits perfectly and never hurts me (like like my ideal woman ... LOL).

As an aside to this thread, is it possible to remove the data module (hud etc) from the mask and to install it in an after market mask of a different type? I'm asking because with the amount I dive I need to buy a new mask every 3-4 years and I looked it up..... this mask is *wickedly* expensive. More expensive than brand new trimix computer. If you had to lay that kind of cash out every few years your wife would start asking uncomfortable questions!

R..

About removing the computer module and installing it in another mask, my guess is no. It's form fitted into the mask. The glass on the mask is cut differently on the computer side than the side of the mask without a computer. The silicone skirting is custom fitted. Then there is the buttons to worry about they are also formed fitted through the skirt. I don't think it's going to work for you. If you google "data mask" and then click on images, you will be able to see what the inside of the mask looks like.

Another thing I have noticed about the nose piece. There is not a lot of room in there. I think I can fit a purge in without touching the bottom of my nose; but, not positive yet. I had a mask years ago that put a lot of pressure on the bottom of my nose right in the middle. It got so bad I would eventually get a little blister. It hurt like a SOB for hours after diving. Finally got a mask with a bigger "nose pouch". I have been trying the purge out on a couple of my older masks before punching a whole in my DataMask.

I don't have enough time on the DataMask yet to make really intelligent comments. I do know I love it; but, there are a few changes I would like to make. As you mentioned about your mask the DataMask seems to ride up a little. Not sure why, It may be operator error. I have had to "rearrange" the mask on my face a couple of times during the dive, mostly to keep the HUD in view. It's not enough to make me want to give it up. It's just a little point of improvement that Oceanic may want to look at.

It's not a true Heads Up Display, like on a B-787. It does not put a picture right on the glass that you can see through. It's so close though it feels like it is. One day someone will come up with a little wireless transmitter that can be fitted into any mask. It will be the size of an Aspirin tablet and give you a full HUD anywhere and any size on your glass that you want.

---------- Post added September 7th, 2015 at 12:30 PM ----------

Sure...

779290022_c8fd682dd4_o.jpg

But seriously... no.

Oceanic-DataMask-HUD.jpg

I stand corrected. It appears you can install it on another mask. I would recommend using clear tape rather than duct tape to keep it on though. BTW, you owe me a keyboard as I spit cheerios over mine when I saw your post. :rofl3:

---------- Post added September 7th, 2015 at 12:33 PM ----------

I am sure those Petrel guys will be chiming in soon with a "tape a petrel on there" it's way better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom