Install purge valve in Oceanic DataMask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the way I know the strap on my swim goggles got loose is when I push off the wall looking a bit more down then forward and I get water in one or both eyes. So it's not entirely out of the question, the question is how you'd generate that much force while scuba diving. :wink:

Goggles are a totally different proposition, since you cannot control the pressure within them. A properly fitted mask can easily be used without any strap at all, simply by maintaining a very slight negative pressure within it... unless of course you are blowing your nose through a purge valve.

Ducking for cover now...

You know your mask strap is too lose when...

Wasn't any much looser then as compared to how I wear my Atomic currently. But apparently the TUSA was/is so large it does require clamping it down onto your face.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2015 at 10:53 PM ----------

Well the way I know the strap on my swim goggles got loose is when I push off the wall looking a bit more down then forward ...

If your goggles leak when you push of the wall... it's probably because you've got your arms in the wrong place. That, and you should NOT be looking forward, you SHOULD be looking down. This keeps your head (and your googles) neatly within the hydrodynamic slipstream created by your arms. Looking forward pulls your forehead up out of the slipstream and drops your face down out of the slipstream. You should be looking directly down at the line on the bottom. Of course having the strap too loose certainly doesn't help matters.

:D

scan0001.png

torpedo-kick.jpg

pushoff-streamline.jpg

PS - I switched to Speedo "FastSkin3" goggles and caps a few years ago. You can really feel the difference... highly recommended.

image80.jpg

You should be looking directly down at the line on the bottom.
About 45 degrees down from horizontal to be exact, give or take. More than about 60 deg down + "regular profile" goggles + loose strap = chlorine in the eyes.
PS - I switched to Speedo "FastSkin3" goggles and caps a few years ago. You can really feel the difference... highly recommended.
Do you have to trim your eyelashes with that? I'll think about it when the rubber on my current vanquishers starts melting away, thanks.

Do you have to trim your eyelashes with that? I'll think about it when the rubber on my current vanquishers starts melting away, thanks.

I have had to trim lashes with all goggles since I was a kid - freakishly long lashes, apparently.

Now, I remember that mask. I tried one. It really was a piece of junk. The plastic vents covering the purge valve are very small pieces and break very easily. The purge valve is installed in the wrong spot. It should have been in the bottom of the mask instead of on the front. I thought all around it was a poor design. The proper place to install a purge valve is on the bottom of the nose piece.

View attachment 214283

I have used this mask for years and I'm looking for the exact mask as a replacement it is an incredibly good mask with very good view and once you get used to the purge mechanism and know how it functions the mask proofs to be one of the best on the market. My primary reason is the full front glass which does not impede any of my view and it does not hurt my nose bridge.

Back
Top Bottom