Install purge valve in Oceanic DataMask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeagle Eagle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I got a new Oceanic DataMask. I love it. The trouble is I have been diving with a pruge valve for over 30 years. Is it possible to install a purge valve?

datamaskhud.jpg

Try giving Oceanic a call, they might do it for you if you send it to them. Their customer service is pretty good.

I hadn't thought of that. It's worth a try. Thanks.

That is a really, really bad idea. If it were easy, Scubapro would not have aborted the introduction of such a mask to replace their tri-vent model.

I got a new Oceanic DataMask. I love it. The trouble is I have been diving with a pruge valve for over 30 years.

Looks like the Datamask will finally solve that problem for you... after 30 years.

:cool2:

That is a really, really bad idea. If it were easy, Scubapro would not have aborted the introduction of such a mask to replace their tri-vent model.

I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain what a tri-vent model has to do with a purge valve installation, please.

---------- Post added August 8th, 2015 at 04:15 PM ----------

Looks like the Datamask will finally solve that problem for you... after 30 years.

I doubt it. I don't plan on giving up my purge valve.

---------- Post added August 8th, 2015 at 04:19 PM ----------

Why do you think it's a really bad idea and what has a tri-vent got to do with it?

Why do you think it's a really bad idea and what has a tri-vent got to do with it?

The Tri-vent mask has the purge valve mounted in a rigid and substantial nose piece. A few years ago, Scubapro tried to bring to market a purge mask that had the purge valve mounted in the rubber nose piece. I believ they actually got to the point of some early advertising. And then it just disappeared. I suspect they ran into safety issues and dropped the idea.

Well,. I just looked again and it looks like they must have worked out whatever problem they had and are now marketing just such a mask: SCUBAPRO - CRYSTAL VU PLUS PURGE

You might want to take a look at one. From the picture, it looks like they put a lot more material in the bottom of the nose pocket where the purge is mounted.

Now, I remember that mask. I tried one. It really was a piece of junk. The plastic vents covering the purge valve are very small pieces and break very easily. The purge valve is installed in the wrong spot. It should have been in the bottom of the mask instead of on the front. I thought all around it was a poor design. The proper place to install a purge valve is on the bottom of the nose piece.

$_35.JPG

... The purge valve is installed in the wrong spot. It should have been in the bottom of the mask instead of on the front. ... The proper place to install a purge valve is on the bottom of the nose piece. ...
Or perhaps it's a matter of preference. If you spend the majority of your time facing horizontally, it's more convenient to have the purge on the bottom. If you spend the majority of your time facing the bottom, as do many muck divers, shark teeth collectors, etc. then it's more convenient to have it toward the front. In either case it's a relatively simple matter to tilt your head to the other position.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom