Install purge valve in Oceanic DataMask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the mask that I like. There are probably many that are better; but, I have a hard to fit face. I order two at a time and that way I always have a spare. View attachment 214284

Unfortunately Scuba Toys does not carry this brand.

Amazon.com: IST Imperial Tri-View Purged Mask (Black Silicone)

That mask may be marked IST but it is a Tusa Imprex Hyperdry, best thing since sliced bread. Fits most anybody and works well. Don't let the Puritans tell you purge valves are bad.

That mask may be marked IST but it is a Tusa Imprex Hyperdry, best thing since sliced bread. Fits most anybody and works well. Don't let the Puritans tell you purge valves are bad.

A purge valve is like training wheels. You should outgrow it eventually.:D

I got a new Oceanic DataMask. I love it.

I don't plan on giving up my purge valve.

Good luck with that.

far-side-damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-dont.jpg

I know a diver that had a dive shop in Mexico for 12 or 13 years. He had about 6000 dives when he started the shop. When he sold it he was still diving a Tusa hyperdry. He told me he bought them 5 at a time when he went to the States. He will outgrow them eventually.

You are crackin' me up I have been diving since 1968. I dive splits, AI, Wireless, Octo Z, no snorkel and a purge valve. I am the most comfortable diver on the boat and in the water. I don't think I am going to outgrow them. C'mon get out of the dark ages and give up your analog watch and get on board with digital. Or you can lift your skirt (mask skirt that is) and blow all you want. As for me I don't do nothing. Just breathe.

I don't plan on giving up my purge valve.

I agree - I have to have a purge valve. I like to exhale through my nose even when I'm not clearing my mask.

Finally heard from Oceanic. They said they will not install a purge valve in a data mask. I guess I will do it myself after all it's just a hole isn't it?

---------- Post added August 20th, 2015 at 09:12 PM ----------

Now all I need to do is find a descent purge valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TphleOA74k4

Yep, just a hole and some aquaseal. You can punch the hole with one of those punches you use to put holes in notebook paper, and find an old purge valve from an old snorkel or mask, and just cut it out and then aquaseal it in. Just make sure your nose still fits in the mask.

Oh, and if it doesn't work, I'll give you your money back on what you paid for this advice.

---------- Post added August 20th, 2015 at 11:34 PM ----------

Yep, just a hole and some aquaseal. You can punch the hole with one of those punches you use to put holes in notebook paper, and find an old purge valve from an old snorkel or mask, and just cut it out and then aquaseal it in. Just make sure your nose still fits in the mask.

Oh, and if it doesn't work, I'll give you your money back on what you paid for this advice. :)

P.S. You can get a new purge mask for $23 from Piranha Pro PURGE Mask "Black Frame/Black Skirt" "Accepts Lenses".
Probably easier to use a new valve than an old one.

If it does not work, a little duct tape (use the good stuff) should seal it up as good as new. So you won't really be risking destroying an expensive mask.:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom