Install purge valve in Oceanic DataMask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a new Oceanic DataMask. I love it. The trouble is I have been diving with a pruge valve for over 30 years. Is it possible to install a purge valve?

View attachment 213950

I'm sorry if this feels insulting but after 30 years it's time to learn how to clear a mask.

You REALLY don't need a purge valve. What you need is an hour in the pool with an instructor. I know this is going to bite hard but I'm only saying what everyone else here is thinking.

R..

Reactions: RJP
I'm sorry if this feels insulting but after 30 years it's time to learn how to clear a mask.

You REALLY don't need a purge valve. What you need is an hour in the pool with an instructor. I know this is going to bite hard but I'm only saying what everyone else here is thinking.

R..
Oh man, you ruined it! We were trying so hard to get him to destroy his datamask!

Oh man, you ruined it! We were trying so hard to get him to destroy his datamask!

"Hold my beer... watch this!"

I'm actually really curious about the data mask. Aside from the chest thumping on this thread.... does it work?

Personally I can't imagine that it does. My eyes are old and I can't see my own hands without bifocals.

R..

I'm actually really curious about the data mask. Aside from the chest thumping on this thread.... does it work?

Personally I can't imagine that it does. My eyes are old and I can't see my own hands without bifocals.

R..

My buddy had one and loved the HUD aspect of it. There are diopter settings to account for old eyes.

He stopped using it because he switched to some mask to help keep water out of his ears.

It's very large and very clunky. He also had problems with it flooding... the computer itself, not the mask.

R..

I've got a couple of friends with them, who love them. If they didn't cost more than a Petrel 2, I'd be interested.

I'm guessing you might find one cheap, soon, with a patched hole in the nose. LOL.

R..

There are several phrases one hears over and over.

1. I don't mean to insult you but... and then it is followed by something insulting
2. I'm sorry if this feels insulting...and the follow it up with an insult.
That doesn't get you off the hook.

I have been diving probably since before you were born and I sure don't need some closed minded, low information individual, tell me what I need and how to dive. I have dived for years with no purge valve. When I started diving we didn't have purge valves.

There are many of us that like a purge valve on our masks. It frees up a hand. Nice when one is doing video or photography work or if both hands are being used to hold something like a magnetometer or a tool of some sort. Many of us don't have a smooth baby's face that never leaks. Some of us have mustaches that leak constantly. We don't want to trim or goop up with Vaseline. Some of us have rugged faces that let a little water in. Some of us just like the convenience of clearing with a purge valve. It is much easier. I don't really "need" a purge valve anymore than a set of splits or a dive computer instead of a table or wireless instead of analog or AI. I just like it. I like the convenience. My old analog watch worked just fine; but, I like a digital one. My old rubber Rocket Fins worked just fine; but, I like my Apollo Bios better. My old Aqua Lung Jacques Cousteau BC worked fine; but, I like my Zeagle Stiletto better. I like my old weight belt; but, I like my weight integrated better.

As far as "you are only saying what everyone else is thinking". Have you asked everyone else? No, of course not. Another low information assumption. That being said if "no purge" works for you. That's great; but, have an open mind.

Here is something to think about. I can clear my mask the old fashion way; or, I can just use my purge valve. You don't have that option. If both your hands are busy and you needed to clear, well, you would be SOL wouldn't you?

I can't tell you how many times I have heard, weight integrated no that's dangerous and only for sissies. Or, splits C'mon paddles are the only way to go. Everyone thinks you're nuts for using splits. Or, dive computer, never! Tables are the only safe way to go. You are going to kill yourself with a computer. I still hear that stuff even today.

As far as drilling a hole in my expensive DataMask, yeah that scares me; but, fortunately, I can afford it if I screw it up. I am willing to take the heat when someone asks why I have a hole in the bottom of my mask with Aqua Seal in it and I have to tell them what an idiot I was. More than likely though I will hear "wow, you have a Datamask with a purge valve, cool". Can I try it?

As for an hour in the pool with an instructor. I would gladly accept that. I am not too old to learn new tricks.

R..
well ... , not everyone here is thinking that.

I've dived with two very experienced divers who use masks with purge valves. One, a photographer, explained that it allowed her to clear water from her mask while her hands were otherwise busy with her camera gear. The other simply said he preferred it.

A purge valve is just an option.

It is an option, but my problem is I've never had a purge valve on a mask or a snorkel that did not leak, at least a little bit. And I do have a mustache, that does not leak.

To each his own....but I think the tension here is coming from the fact that MOST people with purge valves have simply not learned how to dive without one, so it is not a choice, it is a necessity. I'm fine with someone who knowingly accepts the trade-offs and chooses purge for good reasons. Same with other gear choices. Well, maybe not split fins! LOL.

I have been diving probably since before you were born and I sure don't need some closed minded, low information individual, tell me what I need and how to dive. I have dived for years with no purge valve. When I started diving we didn't have purge valves.

Pretty sure this isn't the case unless you're too old to walk.

I *was* trying to be tactical about it.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom