inspiration or optima

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mverick:
Just wondering. Wasn't the HH that did the deep dive filled with liquid? So, it isn't the one you get from manufacturer. Or, is it just a option to have them filled from the Manufacturer. If I remember right. He had a couple problems with it too. Had to open the unit and fix something with the Manufacturers input and refill. Didn't have a problem on the dive though. At least the unit didn't.

And, didn't the other guy diving's HH implode? On the second deep dive trying to rescue the Deep guy.

It was at 1000ft or so. Just wondering.

He was using a Converted MK15.5 with HH electronics if I remember right. Think the Deepest Lockout dive was on a MK15.5 also. With standard electronics.

I just want them to 600ft. That's deep enough for me.. LOL

You fill the handsets with mineral oil, If you do it yourself the pressure transduce will be off on the older handsets.. If you need the transducer accurate the factory has to cal the unit with mineral oil, then it must remain filled..

On the first dives there was no problem, ont the second series of dives, again the deep diver had no problem with the electronics (it was still functioning when he was recovered), the support diver didnt have the handset completely filled with mineral oil so there was an air gap..

Without filling them they crack somewhere between 600fsw and 700 fsw (varies with version and individual unit, the earliest acrylic units made it a bit deepr than 700), the new al units can go deeper, but its recommended to fill it anyway..

both divers were also rolling the dice as they both chose not to fill the battery compartment..

The timing of this question could not have been better. I just finished my CCR rebreather training Sat, still dog tired. When I signed up for the class, it was to get certified for the Optima, and then changed over to the Inspiration on the 3rd day. The optima was used by one individual each day.

First let me say, that the instructor (Jeff Bozanic) did not say anything about either unit, in any way, to influence my decision. He was neutral (frustratingly so), and would not offer any opinion one-way or the other. He would not recommend or even make 1-1 comparisons. This decision was strictly mine, based on what I learned, what I saw and my perceptions of my skills now and in the future. There are pro's and con's to every system out there, and I definitely came away with very strong opinions of some units, the challenge however is to determine what is best for you. I am 6'5", 250+, basically a big guy. I am not as limber as I once was and after diving for over 26 years, I certainly don't qualify as young. I do however have a substantial amount of training and experience. Those are some of factors that influenced my decision.

I hope to write a long review of the class in this forum or finally join rebreatherworld and put it there. Since I don't want hijack this thread that will have to wait.

There are many fine units out there, but I'll just stick to the question Optima or Inspiration (or Evolution, a smaller version of the inspiration).

My decision to change started when I inspected the Optima unit and saw the construction and materials. There was a big difference in the quality; the optima is exactly what it professes to be a very low cost CCR; the inspiration is a very solid mature design. The optima disassembles very nicely, and is easy to clean (I did it several times), when compared to Inspiration. It is really easy to assemble, especially just sliding in the extend air cartridge. It easily takes less then half the time to set up. And to clean it the parts needing disinfecting come off quick allowing you to get somewhere warm to do your cleaning, plus it takes up less room. That can be important. I really liked that I could use my own harness/BC rig. There are many things I like about the Optima and it appears to be a very capable unit hence my signing up to take the class.

However, there are some things I really did not like. While I finally got over the lack of being able to use granules, some things I just had a problem with.
1) The hoses are a smaller diameter. I think the work of breathing is increased as a result.
2) Hose connections are cheesy in my opinion, one caution they pull off easy; yes underwater; not a good thing.
3) Getting to the head to inspect it, or changing out components is a pain in the @$$.
4) Screwing on the DIVA (HUD) daily is asking to lose the screws
5) The on/off switch for the handsets is installing or removing the battery. Other threads have talked about the short life of the batteries (plus side though- they are just AA, a set of rechargables that you treat like camera batteries was my plan). But opening up the handset between dives on a wet boat did not seem wise to me.
6) The case/cover came lose while diving causing drag and looked sloppy to me.
7) It leaked a lot, though surprisingly it had very little water in it at the end of the day (~4hrs a day on it). No under normal circumstances it would not pass the bubble test at all; long story as to why it was dived.
8) We took more in weight for the extendairs for one Optima then we did in granules (total) for 3 inspirations.
9) Overall quality, the inspiration is just made the optima look cheap.

Out of scope so minimal info- I also looked at the Prism and KISS systems, and dismissed them for other reasons.

If you have specific questions about either unit I'll provide my opinion.

my 2 psi.

scubanimal:
Out of scope so minimal info- I also looked at the Prism and KISS systems, and dismissed them for other reasons.

Hello scubanimal. Nice to hear that Jeff Bozanic was an unbiased instructor. But out of curiosity, what made you dismiss the Prism and KISS? BTW, last time I heard, Bozanic owns and dives a Prism... -Andy

writing this for the second time (I somehow erased the first response) so this is short-short version.

Prism - I think that it is probably the best unit out there. However the long lead time and difficultly in getting parts in a timely fashion forced me to disqualify them. The thought of investing so much in a company I can see staying in business at this rate, did not seem wise. Any yes Jeff does own one, however you're not correct in that he dives it. He has been waiting for two years for parts. Now if he has to wait that long, imagine how long joe-q-average may have to wait. 'nuf said.

KISS - When I was getting my dolphin certification, there were two students getting their training on KISS units. Let's just say I was not impressed and leave it at that. Then after taking the class last week, I will not ever use a unit that does not have the electronics. I have found that on occasion I get distracted by sealife, divers, events and such, while on OC this is not a big deal on a manual CCR that could be bad; think high task load while ascending.

I can not recommend enough to folks considering a CCR to first take the training then make the purchase. I find a quote from Dirty Harry appropriate here, "Man's got to know his limitations" and for me and the diving I want to do, while I will probably fly manually most of the time, I want the electonic backup.

scubanimal:
writing this for the second time (I somehow erased the first response) so this is short-short version.

Prism - I think that it is probably the best unit out there. However the long lead time and difficultly in getting parts in a timely fashion forced me to disqualify them. The thought of investing so much in a company I can see staying in business at this rate, did not seem wise. Any yes Jeff does own one, however you're not correct in that he dives it. He has been waiting for two years for parts. Now if he has to wait that long, imagine how long joe-q-average may have to wait. 'nuf said.

Hi scubanimal, thanks for the info. But I find it hard to believe that JB has waited 2 years for parts. It may be true, but I would want to know more. There aren't that many parts on the Prism which are so proprietary that the unit would be unable to function-it's very simple and uses many common pcs of hardware.
I got some wet O2 on a trip to Indonesia last year, which corroded and took out my solenoid during a dive, while I had a Manta 6 inches over my head. I knew imediately what it was, switched off the unit and flew it manually for the next 2 days-no big deal. BTW, flying the rig on true manual, with no power at all, is only possible on the Prism and MKs...
I had to have SMI replace most of the O2 side of the rig-solenoid, piping, reg. This was done only after they tried to clean the parts and get them back to spec-no dice. So they did work which they didn't charge me for and billed me only for the cost of the parts and basic labor to install the new parts. I got the unit back in time for my next trip to the Philippines, just barely, and did another 70 hrs trouble free. That's my SMI customer service story.
I have only missed 1 dive on my Prism. Well sort of, I made the Tmix trainig dive but I had to use somebody else's Prism. And this was due to a bad plastic O-ring on the HP O2 gage hose, a Scuba Pro part that has since been discontinued. -Andy

I'm sorry I did not inquire more, he said he's been waiting since 2004 for a part and has not been able to the Prism. I did not think to ask for more details.

padiscubapro:
You fill the handsets with mineral oil, If you do it yourself the pressure transduce will be off on the older handsets.. If you need the transducer accurate the factory has to cal the unit with mineral oil, then it must remain filled..

On the new handsets. Can the owner fill them with mineral oil? And not have to recalibrate?

Mverick:
On the new handsets. Can the owner fill them with mineral oil? And not have to recalibrate?

Yes,
The old sensor was a differential sensor one side being the inside case, the new electronics use a sealed sensor thats only open to the side thats being measured.

scubanimal:
The timing of this question could not have been better. I just finished my CCR rebreather training Sat, still dog tired. When I signed up for the class, it was to get certified for the Optima, and then changed over to the Inspiration on the 3rd day. The optima was used by one individual each day.

First let me say, that the instructor (Jeff Bozanic) did not say anything about either unit, in any way, to influence my decision. He was neutral (frustratingly so), and would not offer any opinion one-way or the other. He would not recommend or even make 1-1 comparisons. This decision was strictly mine, based on what I learned, what I saw and my perceptions of my skills now and in the future. There are pro's and con's to every system out there, and I definitely came away with very strong opinions of some units, the challenge however is to determine what is best for you. I am 6'5", 250+, basically a big guy. I am not as limber as I once was and after diving for over 26 years, I certainly don't qualify as young. I do however have a substantial amount of training and experience. Those are some of factors that influenced my decision.

I hope to write a long review of the class in this forum or finally join rebreatherworld and put it there. Since I don't want hijack this thread that will have to wait.

There are many fine units out there, but I'll just stick to the question Optima or Inspiration (or Evolution, a smaller version of the inspiration).

My decision to change started when I inspected the Optima unit and saw the construction and materials. There was a big difference in the quality; the optima is exactly what it professes to be a very low cost CCR; the inspiration is a very solid mature design. The optima disassembles very nicely, and is easy to clean (I did it several times), when compared to Inspiration. It is really easy to assemble, especially just sliding in the extend air cartridge. It easily takes less then half the time to set up. And to clean it the parts needing disinfecting come off quick allowing you to get somewhere warm to do your cleaning, plus it takes up less room. That can be important. I really liked that I could use my own harness/BC rig. There are many things I like about the Optima and it appears to be a very capable unit hence my signing up to take the class.

However, there are some things I really did not like. While I finally got over the lack of being able to use granules, some things I just had a problem with.
1) The hoses are a smaller diameter. I think the work of breathing is increased as a result.
2) Hose connections are cheesy in my opinion, one caution they pull off easy; yes underwater; not a good thing.
3) Getting to the head to inspect it, or changing out components is a pain in the @$$.
4) Screwing on the DIVA (HUD) daily is asking to lose the screws
5) The on/off switch for the handsets is installing or removing the battery. Other threads have talked about the short life of the batteries (plus side though- they are just AA, a set of rechargables that you treat like camera batteries was my plan). But opening up the handset between dives on a wet boat did not seem wise to me.
6) The case/cover came lose while diving causing drag and looked sloppy to me.
7) It leaked a lot, though surprisingly it had very little water in it at the end of the day (~4hrs a day on it). No under normal circumstances it would not pass the bubble test at all; long story as to why it was dived.
8) We took more in weight for the extendairs for one Optima then we did in granules (total) for 3 inspirations.
9) Overall quality, the inspiration is just made the optima look cheap.

If you have specific questions about either unit I'll provide my opinion.

my 2 psi.

Jeff Bozanic has a prototype unit still, as he was a test diver. The hose connections on his are an old-style and numerous other differences also exist. Dive Rite just hasn't been able to upgrade him yet. I recommend everyone use a production model before making any conclusions. There have been a lot of changes, and pretty much everything you mention in your post has been addressed (the only thing I don't know about is the accessibility of the head, as I am unaware of how the old design was.

Cheers, Jordan

Back
Top Bottom