inspiration or optima

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gballard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am seriously thinking of getting a rebreather. I have already trained on the dolphin , it just seems poinless to me to spend money on a scr. My buddy has an inspiration and loves it. I'm just wondering does one have any advantages over the other?

I have never dived an optima although had a close look at a couple recently
Seems like an OK unit except I am not too sure about extend-air scrubber
I like the inspiration, has lots of units out there compared to optima and I believe is less expensive.
Lots of mods for inspo although many have complained about hammerhead on inspo they seem to have gotten it right for the optima (but time will tell)

For info on the RB's.

www.rebreatherworld.com

Lots of info.

I dive homebuilds. Old russians. And a Meg. To me, out of the units out now. I like the Meg. I don't like the Optima for the cartridges. Other then that. It seems a nice unit.

Tough call, really.

The Inspo is immensly popular, and has good support through SSA Montclair, probably the largest AP dealer in the US. Training is easily available from just about any agency through plenty of instructors.

The O2ptima is off to a good start, but for local support, afaik, Ventura is the closest and only dealer. Training I don't know, but Dive Rite Express has the instructors listed on their website.

Probably the biggest difference are the electronics. The Inspo has two dependnet controllers and no seperate pO2 monitor. The O2ptima's Hammerhead has a single controller and a seperate pO2 monitor that also includes depth and time display (dive timer). Personally, I like the latter layout better. The HH on that unit includes nitrox and deco software at no extra charge as well as HUD that either gives warnings or actual pO2 readouts, plus has a vibrating alarm you won't miss.

Depending on the version, the Inspo has only pO2 displays and buzzers to warn you (Classic). With the Vision electronics you get a single display for both controllers that includes a dive timer, optional nitrox and optional trimix software upgrades and a HUD in lieu of the second handset. The latter also gives status for both controllers. Last but not least the Vision gives you yet another option, the TempStick scrubber monitor. All of which means it's a major improvement over the old Classic.

For electronics look at the pros and cons for each system and decide your preference.

The scrubber is hotly debated issue, the Inspo's axial can take normal (and more easily available) granular absorbant that costs quite a bit less than the O2ptima's Micropore cartridges. The advantage of the cartridge are much reduced chance of a caustic cocktail and absolute superb ease of use. Depth performance, at least from the data published, leaves some to be desired, though. The Inspo on the other hand has been CE rated (which the O2ptima has not) to 82 mins, more than twice the O2ptima's result.

Look at the number of dives and profiles you do, or plan to do, and see what suits you better.

The Dive Rite supposedly folds up into a carry on size package for travel as long as you leave the tanks at home. It allows either 4 ltr tanks or 2 ltr tanks to used. The Inspo won't travel as conveniently, but will work with its 3 ltr as well as the Evo's 2 ltr tanks.

Again, look at your diving and locations and see what suits you.

Last but not least, the Classic and O2ptima about the same price, while a decked out Vision costs about three grand more.

Ask you banker what suits you.

Personally, I would prefer either a Meg or a PRISM over those two units. :wink:

The Optima seems like a nice rig...but the Extend air??? I'd wait for a canister that served double duty.

Second hand Inspirations can be had for very, very good deals. As per rigs...I do believe the Meg offers the most versatile and sensible approach to expedition based CCR diving.

The Ouroboros is a nice, big rig something akin to the Cis Lunar with system redundancy, electronics and complexity. Almost overkill. Beautiful looking creature though. X

Hello gballard, good move buying a CCR over SCR. I did the same thing. As for the 2 choices you gave, although the Optima has some things going for it, the cartridge scrubber would put me off and I'd have to default to the Inspo. If you ever plan on traveling to a remote location, you will have a tough time fitting enough cartridges in your luggage to cover say a 2 week liveaboard in the Pacific. At this point there won't be too many places that stock the things, other than the places that sell the Optima. Also those cartridges are expensive here in the US, I can only imagine how much they'd cost in Fiji...if you could get them...
There are many choices of CCR out there. I dive a Prism because it has the longest scrubber duration, lowest work of breathing, has a totally passive secondary gage, is small and simple.
I don't think it's wise to limit your choices to those 2 units. Think about exactly how you plan on using it-where, what depths-and try to get a good grip on all the different makes and ideas behind them. Then you'll be able to make the best choice. Good luck, -Andy

gballard:
I am seriously thinking of getting a rebreather. I have already trained on the dolphin , it just seems poinless to me to spend money on a scr. My buddy has an inspiration and loves it. I'm just wondering does one have any advantages over the other?

I'm still not sold on the micropore scrubber..

What I usually recommend is that a person find a used classic, they can be had for around 5k in excellent condition, and buy the HammerHead for another $3k, you now have the bets of both worlds.. plus a spare set of electronics to boot. If you go for a new classic with HH or vision its 10K ish..

Most of The HH problems were with the fischer connectors since many people did not treat them well (all are hard plumbed now).. I know several people (myself included) that made dives near 150m (thats ~500fsw) without any issues with them.. The HH also still has the deepest successful (no lockout) ccr dive to date, and that was on the older electronics.. To date (I was one of the first testers og the HH), I have NEVER missed a dive due to a problem with the HH.. The only dive I ever skipped with the HH was due to a problem with the cable (leaking) for an explore dive computer.. I didn't have a 1/4 npt plug handy to plug the port so I did a dive with my backup electronics..

Another option that is available again are HammerMegs, the basic loop of the Meg with Hammerhead electronics, It can be had for a bit more than a used classic plus a HH.. This is probably the best option of all.. The Meg loop did extremely well on breathing tests, has multiple scrubber options available (axial, 2 radials (1 is the cis scrubber and the other is in the near future), and also the micropore carteidge) and its the most solid unit around.. I recently spent a week at the factory building megs and I was impressed with the operation..

padiscubapro:
The HH also still has the deepest successful (no lockout) ccr dive to date, and that was on the older electronics.. .

Just wondering. Wasn't the HH that did the deep dive filled with liquid? So, it isn't the one you get from manufacturer. Or, is it just a option to have them filled from the Manufacturer. If I remember right. He had a couple problems with it too. Had to open the unit and fix something with the Manufacturers input and refill. Didn't have a problem on the dive though. At least the unit didn't.

And, didn't the other guy diving's HH implode? On the second deep dive trying to rescue the Deep guy.

It was at 1000ft or so. Just wondering.

He was using a Converted MK15.5 with HH electronics if I remember right. Think the Deepest Lockout dive was on a MK15.5 also. With standard electronics.

I just want them to 600ft. That's deep enough for me.. LOL

Mverick:
Just wondering. Wasn't the HH that did the deep dive filled with liquid? So, it isn't the one you get from manufacturer. Or, is it just a option to have them filled from the Manufacturer. If I remember right. He had a couple problems with it too. Had to open the unit and fix something with the Manufacturers input and refill. Didn't have a problem on the dive though. At least the unit didn't.

And, didn't the other guy diving's HH implode? On the second deep dive trying to rescue the Deep guy.

It was at 1000ft or so. Just wondering.

He was using a Converted MK15.5 with HH electronics if I remember right. Think the Deepest Lockout dive was on a MK15.5 also. With standard electronics.

I just want them to 600ft. That's deep enough for me.. LOL

I think the inert filler was liquid paraffin on the HH's. I also think the deepest was by some COMEX guys on something that looked like a MK series - Carleton or Biomarine? This is all from the dusty, mental corridors of X's brain...so accuracy is highly suspect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom