Question Choptima (CM CCR) for short diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fanling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I'm a short diver (I'm 168cm male) and also short torso too. Anyone has any experiences with the Choptima fitment? It seems very long tgt with the O2 tank. Should I consider other units or even BM for my 1st rebreather?

Cheers,
Fan

As noted above, there are options beside the bottom of the unit. You can carry a 30 cu.ft. like a deco bottle and have enough for several days of diving orif you are backmounting attach like an argon bottle on the side of your doubles

I have taught courses with divers from 150-165CM with no issues. There are some things you can do to help the unit stay in place.

1. For shorter divers (and really all divers now) I recommend using the scooter ring as a 5th attachment. It really helps keep the unit in place.

2. There is a cool little bungee trick you can do on the back of the unit that works well for shorter divers or female divers that have larger breasts.

Your instructor should have experience dealing with all these issues. Don’t listen to folks that say the height of the diver is a factor on the unit. One of my former students and now primary dive buddies is 5’3” and has zero issues.

What is the bungee trick?
I have taught courses with divers from 150-165CM with no issues. There are some things you can do to help the unit stay in place.

1. For shorter divers (and really all divers now) I recommend using the scooter ring as a 5th attachment. It really helps keep the unit in place.

2. There is a cool little bungee trick you can do on the back of the unit that works well for shorter divers or female divers that have larger breasts.

Your instructor should have experience dealing with all these issues. Don’t listen to folks that say the height of the diver is a factor on the unit. One of my former students and now primary dive buddies is 5’3” and has zero issues.

Could you expand on this answer a bit, as well? I'm not sure I need the fifth attachment, but I'm interested in knowing how it'd work.

Could you expand on this answer a bit, as well? I'm not sure I need the fifth attachment, but I'm interested in knowing how it'd work.

Order one of these…

Use it on all your dives and not just when scootering. The bolt snap from the unit to the crotch strap on your harness will really help keep the unit better in place.

In fairness that is my shop and I will make money if you order them but I use them on my dives now 100% of the time and all my students have been using them as well and they love it. I won’t dive without it now.

since the thread evolved into a small choptima q&a..

it always catches my eye (at least on the videos i have seen) how the O2 bottle adds a lot of bulk compared to the rest of unit

so i always had an impression that if you buttmount the O2 tank, the whole unit is going to sit much neater and more streamlined to the body (especially if you dont have a fat stomach)

is there any truth to it?

(questions coming from a non ccr diver)

since the thread evolved into a small choptima q&a..

it always catches my eye (at least on the videos i have seen) how the O2 bottle adds a lot of bulk compared to the rest of unit

so i always had an impression that if you buttmount the O2 tank, the whole unit is going to sit much neater and more streamlined to the body (especially if you dont have a fat stomach)

is there any truth to it?

(questions coming from a non ccr diver)

The o2 bottle does hang a little bit lower than the scrubber and using something to torque it back into place is useful. If you’re diving with BM dilout and don’t want the o2 bottle on the bottom of the unit, you can mount it like you would suit gas along your backplate. If you’re diving the chop in SM, butt mounting the O2 would work until you need tobutt mount suit gas also; I’m sure it’s doable but likely to start getting really crowded.

To the vertically challenged reading this, IMO the length of the unit is not a problem while diving but can be annoying if you have to climb a steep hill or stairs afterwards. I find unclipping one or both of the lower clips allows the unit to lift up and stop interfering with my legs.

Back
Top Bottom