Inspiration Mod's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emeraldvideo

Reaction score
After many long hours researching CCR's, I feel as though the best option is the Inspiration. The other strong contender was the Prism, so if any of you feel the Prism is the better choice, let me know!!!

Although the stock Inspiration does seem to be a quality unit, there seems to be a number of suggested (necessary?) modifications. This is what I'm thinking:

1)Hammerhead electronics...better electronics set and full deco computer--does this mean I don't need to purchase a VR3 or similar?
2)ADV
3)Mouthpiece-integrated bail-out.
4)auto-exhaust.

These questions obviously stem from a lack of experience, and are purely academic at this point...is the stock Inspiration dive-worthy, or should I really be thinking about these mod's before I've even purchased the unit? The hammerhead seems to be the biggest issue of contention, because if it means I won't have to purchase a VR3 it's saving me $$$! As I stated to DiverMole, maybe this is just my pre-CCR conversion anxiety:D

:scuba:

He bro,

the buddy is a fine unit out of the box. Some mods are great depending on your dive style. for example if your a photographer then the adv might be helpfull however I have found no need for it. I would suggest getting a unit and diving it stock for as long as it will meet your needs. For the bail out kirby morgan has a podstyle full face mask with open circuit bail out integrated. I have one and think its a great add. The vr3 with 4th cell works great with the stock electronics. My only mods in 3 years on the buddy have been a stainless back plate and the kirby morgan mask, and the vr3. Most of these mods were wants as opposed to needs.Evetually if I need a new head I will probably get the hammerhead, but since I already paid dearly for the stock head I'll use it till It needs replaced. Buy it, dive it, then worry about the mods. I have a buddy who has been diving a stock unit for 5 years. It meets his needs so there is no reason to change anything.

Emerald,

The turtle is just fine right out of the box. I dove it for about 30 dives before I just added a stainless steel 12 pound backplate. This allows me to remove some weight out of the hip pockets and use less up top. This mod is not needed, it just increases comfort.

You don't need an ADV, it reduces task loading, but so far I am not overtasked by a longshot and I am new to CCR's after 30 years of open circuit since a kid.

You also don't need an DSV/OC, you can bailout to the second stage mounted on the bc inflator. I have a DSV/OC I just added primarily because it is trick! but I have read some guys who experienced hypercapnia and knew they needed to bailout but couldn't bring themselves to close the DSV and spit it out and go to OC so I like the bailout that does not require anything but rotating a valve.

I dive with a Cochran Commander 2p02 2f02 computer that works fine for me, with the Abyss and VR3 getting decent reviews and I think both have realtime p02 monitoring.

The Hammerhead is not needed, it is just for guys who insist on fiddling and have a good time with doing such, and the hammerhead itself has already been modified, reinforcing my point! The Hammerhead has received good reviews and their heads up display is quite smart, adding redundancy just shy of overkill.

By the way, if you do deco, get the Inspiration, but if you have no need to go hours and deco, wait for the Evolution, it is smaller and lighter.

I dive without the AP ADV only because it is $125 or so more to buy it it North America than from Britain, unless I can find someone who will ship me one from Britain and maybe I will do them a favor back and get them a Bob goody.

I also have an aftermarket gas manifold with additionalports, but I could have gotten away with adding a swivel 90 to the factory bar, but hey, that isn't trick!

Anyway, no mods are needed, some are a tad more convenient, some are fun and trick, but just get the unit and get some time on it, then when comfortable, fiddle to your hearts content.

emeraldvideo once bubbled...
After many long hours researching CCR's, I feel as though the best option is the Inspiration. The other strong contender was the Prism, so if any of you feel the Prism is the better choice, let me know!!!

Although the stock Inspiration does seem to be a quality unit, there seems to be a number of suggested (necessary?) modifications. This is what I'm thinking:

1)Hammerhead electronics...better electronics set and full deco computer--does this mean I don't need to purchase a VR3 or similar?
2)ADV
3)Mouthpiece-integrated bail-out.
4)auto-exhaust.

I'm going through the same process. I decided on the Inspiration (class this June 25th) and now thinking about modifications. I ordered the Inspiration with the factory installed ADV. (I think of the ADV as a feature and not a modification since its factory installed).

My current list (subject to change)

1. Dive Alert (either replace AutoAir with a ScubaPro Air II so I can use my current Dive Alert) or get the Buddy Blast. (Could just run another hose for the Dive Alert, but don't want that route as there is more than enough hoses as it is. :) )

2. Octopus (Scubapro R380) for my buddy off the diluent bottle.

3. New mouth piece (same upgrade as on my OC system).

4. Cochran Commander for dive computer (not a "modification", but something new I need to buy).

Then dive, dive, dive.

After 100+ CCR dives, look into an Inspiration Trimix class and upgrade system for deeper diving (Titanium housing and longer bail-out option).

... worry about your RB skills. :wink:

The Inspiration is fine out of the box. You can order it with the APD ADV installed, which is less expensive than getting it later and takes care of that.

While an OC/DSV isn't needed, I consider it a worthwhile safety issue. I like the M-48/RB pod with OC/DSV the best, but a full-face mask isn't everybody's thing.

The Hammerhead doesn't come cheap either, though it seems to be worth the money. But it's a lot more than a computer. Either the VR3 or the Explorer will give you an additional O2 cell option, if it's just pO2 computing, either of those or, without Helium mixes, a Cochran, a Nexus or the upcoming VR2 will
do.

Hello there,

You may want to consider using a HS-ENG computer or VR3 tied directly into the loop to give you realtime deco data based on the O2 levels in the loop. I'd steer away from combo units like the hammerhead considering if it fails - your deco data goes with it. Deco diving on CCR requires thoughts about single points of failure and that definately is one.

Cochran doesn't do Helium and it's PO2 switching is a pain in the butt. In fact the VR3 switching is more of a pain than the HS-ENG. Oh yeah - the HS-ENG uses RGBM and we've been both units for quite some time now.

I'd also concurr in not pushing the deco diving mode until you've 100 hours on the unit practicing lots of failure mode and manual operation stuff!! just to be sure.

A DSV is nice but not required. It just helps the newer diver get organized... Be aware though - it'll free flow if it's at the lowest pressure point relative to you.

thanks for the read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom