Insider Information - Local Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Anyone has been at Sunset Park, Linton, Indiana.
http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu/~dzierba/divers/sunset.html

If then, how was it?

I did two of my OW cert dives there. It isn't bad but don't expect much when it comes to vis. I think they pretty much tell you what is there when they say, school bus, and statue. I think there may be a car. If you want to give it a try let me know since it is about 30 minutes away from me.

They do have a nice shower and shelter area, I do have to give them that. Admission is 5 bucks if I am thinking right. BTW, there is no fill station so take as many tanks as dives that you want to do.

crpntr133,

You are the man!!!
Sure, let's check it out. A nice shower and shelter area are tempting me so much.:wink:
I hope it is not a hard water from the lake....

crpntr133:
I did two of my OW cert dives there. It isn't bad but don't expect much when it comes to vis. I think they pretty much tell you what is there when they say, school bus, and statue. I think there may be a car. If you want to give it a try let me know since it is about 30 minutes away from me.

They do have a nice shower and shelter area, I do have to give them that. Admission is 5 bucks if I am thinking right. BTW, there is no fill station so take as many tanks as dives that you want to do.

Here is their new website url. They're under new management and I was just diving there today.

Mark

http://www.bluespringsscubadiving.net/

crpntr133:
Attached is a map for Blue Springs, Waldren Indiana.

Type of diving: stone quarry located just south-west of Indianapolis Indiana.

Type of diving: Shore dive

Directions: Map
I-74 east to exit 119, Shelbyville. Turn left at the T ( church on your left)towards Waldren. Turn right on 600E, this is a tricky turn and don't try to take it at high speeds. I do believe this turn is marked but the sign is small. The next turn you can't miss. Look for the semi-trailor with Blue Springs painted on it. Maybe 100 yards after that is the dive park, clearly marked.

What to expect at the dive site: Most sites have a shelter to you can stay out of the weather. There are several training platforms 20' feet deep. Divers can explore small sunken boats of all shapes and sizes,the armored car, riding lawn mower, snow mobile, dental chair and the list goes on. Or just visit the animal zoo at 40 feet. Entrance fee is $10 per diver per day. Valid C-Card required. No fishing.

Where to park: Plenty of parking is available at the site. Many allow you to back up to within a few feet of the water. Sometimes parking water side is hard but you can always unload and park up the hill.

Amenities: Portable toilet facilities and changing rooms are located on site. Air fills are available for $5 a fill. Camping is available on site. There is a vending machine on site. Shelbyville is about 10 minutes away, offers numerous dining, hotel options.

Pros and Cons: Cheap, easy to find. Even when there are 6 classes there it is no problem with diving. Viz really goes down hill after a rain since it is feed mainly from run off.

Most recent date visited: Aug 28th-29th, 2004

Check out the pics, those are several years old. I recognize some of the shoreline and there are docks and such in those areas now.
Under new managment?? New faces at the gate but they are the owners and nephew. Same owners for several years now.
I was pleasantly surprised this year to see a few things that were added last fall.

hoosier:
I think either URL is fine: http://www.bluesprings.addr.com/

Rick haven't updated his website. So, they are always under new management. I am also regular diver at BS excpet this weekend.:wink: So, you are another Hoosier diver, aren't you?

Yep! I'm a member of Midwest Scuba Club and go there frequently for classes and just to get wet. Leaving for Negril, Jamaica in 6 days for a 10 day trip! I should be diving every day and hope to get some great pics.

So is the map. That map was done by some of my dive buddies back in 1999. A lot of the objects have been moved and continue to move. Even the dentist chair has been broken in two.

crpntr133:
Check out the pics, those are several years old.

Back
Top Bottom