Input sought on 5' primary hose routing with Zeagle Flathead VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Sparkle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am diving with single tanks and I have a Zeagle Flathead VI regulator. I'm using a 5' primary hose. I like the overall setup, but I am wondering if I could improve it.

My one complaint is that the loop of hose that runs around behind my head (after it crosses my chest and before it gets around to the front again), tends to "flip up" so it's like I have a hoop over my head (picture a bucket with the bail standing upright). I push it back down and continue on, but it would be nicer if it didn't "hoop" in the first place.

Here is a photograph of the regulator; the ports are symmetrical on both sides:

Zeagle_flathead_VI.jpg

Notes:

*The regulator does not have a bottom port, and if I twist it around so that the primary regulator hose does angle down, then the inflator and HP hoses (on the other side) point up at an awkward angle.

*Is this just the way it is with a 5' hose? In other words, would I get "the hoop" even if I was able to route the house straight down from a bottom port? I know that the neck loop is one step removed from the place where the hose comes out from the first stage, but I still think that maybe if it started out angling down, the hoop might be ameliorated. But of course I can't try that.

*I imagine that a 7' hose that goes down and tucks under a light or in the waistband of my BC might alleviate this (?), but for my current typical OW boat dives, I'm not sure I need or want the extra hose length, so I'm looking to keep the 5' hose for now.

*I had pretty much resigned myself to "buy a reg with a bottom port next time" (I hadn't ever dived with this type of hose setup when I bought the reg), but then someone posted about using an adapter from Dive Gear Express that basically makes the LP hose take a right angled turn as it exits the first stage. Hmmm.... In principle, I'm against extra fittings, swivels, and the like; but on the other hand, I guess I'm already relying on quite a few O-rings and threaded connections, so maybe it's okay to have one more presuming I keep things maintained and inspected (without which the rest of the gear is equally "bad"). I'm on the fence about this.

Here is a photo of the adapter:

1st stage swivel.jpg

Adapters and Special Fittings - Dive Gear Express

So.... does anyone here dive with a similar set-up who has come up with a good routing? Do you just live with the "hoop"? Thoughts on the adapter? Get a different reg next time?

Overall I'm very happy with the reg, and I like the hose set-up, so it's not a huge complaint; just something I would not mind tweaking/improving if possible.

Much appreciate any input :)

Blue Sparkle

Last edited:
Are you using a standard 5 ft. rubber hose...or one of those new-fangled Miflex hoses?
The Miflex hoses can exhibit some unruly "memory."

Many single-tank divers successfully use first stages that don't have a bottom port. I have an Apeks FST first stage with 2 HP and 4 LP ports. My primary 5 ft. hose is connected to one of the LP ports (front one) on the right side. I have no problems with the hose flipping up when wrapped around my neck.

If an adapter helps you achieve the hose-routing that you desire, I say go for it. Yeah, it's at least one extra o-ring to deal with and the swivel may be an additional failure point. Not a big deal in my mind. Just be sure to maintain your reg properly and do a systematic pre-dive reg inspection.

FWIW, my FST reg has one of those 1/2" UNF ports. Miflex hose attachments use a standard 3/8" UNF port. Since I went with a Miflex hose for my primary hose, I had to use a 1/2"-to-3/8" UNF adapter fitting. It adds an extra o-ring. Meh.

Sparkle, I don't think the bottom port would help you with a singles set-up as the hose will point straight down and then have to make a severe bend when it hits your shoulders. I think I recall from one of your other posts that you are on the small side - could your hose be just a little bit too long? I am assuming that you do have the hose directed under your right arm before it crosses your chest. You might try having a hose made that is 3" shorter. When I switched over to the long hose set-up I had difficulty with the hose at 5' but 5 1/2' worked great (and I am not a large person). Length for me was critical to getting the proper fit and feel. It takes a little experimentation and adjustment to get bp/wings to feel right.

The 5' hose is too long to be short, and too short to be long.

Go with a 7' hose and route it "down and up" (under a can light, knife sheath, held with a hose clip, etc) which will keep it in place and prevent it from floating up over your head.

The 5' hose is too long to be short, and too short to be long.

Go with a 7' hose and route it "down and up" (under a can light, knife sheath, held with a hose clip, etc) which will keep it in place and prevent it from floating up over your head.

1+, for the most part.

Blue Sparkle, I dive the same regulator that you do, with a 5' Miflex hose.

I do suspect that the problem you are having is related to "too much slack", not hose routing at the first stage (I think the Flathead VI actually has very GOOD routing options).

I'm on the opposite end of the physical size spectrum from you, at 6'5" 260 lbs. I find a 5' hose about 4-6" too short (with a single tank), but still "useable". There is "zero" slack, the hose is pulled into a very tight loop around my torso and behind my head.

I think the suggestions to either switch to 7', or clip the 5' are probably better ideas than an elbow fitting (which probably will not solve the problem you are having).

Best wishes.

I had to same issue with my set up (Scubapro Mk 25).

Interesting, as I have been drooling over the MK25 with its bottom port. Good to know before I did something crazy like buy one :wink:

Are you using a standard 5 ft. rubber hose...or one of those new-fangled Miflex hoses?
The Miflex hoses can exhibit some unruly "memory."

Hi Bubbletrubble,
I'm using a standard rubber hose. I should have noted that.

Sparkle, I don't think the bottom port would help you with a singles set-up as the hose will point straight down and then have to make a severe bend when it hits your shoulders.

Hmm, okay, maybe I have not been visualizing correctly what the bottom port would do for me. I was thinking the hose would go straight down - behind my shoulder - then come around under my arm and on. I was thinking that maybe if it started out angling down (vs. out) that maybe I would loose the hoop.

I think I recall from one of your other posts that you are on the small side - could your hose be just a little bit too long? I am assuming that you do have the hose directed under your right arm before it crosses your chest...

Yes, torso-wise I'm short. The hose still seems like a good length though, but then of course I have not tried a shorter one. Yes, the hose comes out (horizontally/to the side) from the first stage, then goes under my arm (but high up because it starts high/wide), across, and etc. The whole thing never really goes down at all, except where it is forced down slightly to go under my armpit.

Blue Sparkle

1+, for the most part (to RJP saying that a 5' hose is just always an awkward middle ground between short and long).

I could see where this would be true, thanks.

Blue Sparkle, I dive the same regulator that you do, with a 5' Miflex hose.

I do suspect that the problem you are having is related to "too much slack", not hose routing at the first stage (I think the Flathead VI actually has very GOOD routing options).

Okay, no one better to hear from than someone with the same setup! I saw the SP MK25 set up in a shop with the hose pointing straight down and just got to thinking that maybe that was more desirable/necessary.

I'm on the opposite end of the physical size spectrum from you, at 6'5" 260 lbs. I find a 5' hose about 4-6" too short (with a single tank), but still "useable". There is "zero" slack, the hose is pulled into a very tight loop around my torso and behind my head.

I think the suggestions to either switch to 7', or clip the 5' are probably better ideas than an elbow fitting (which probably will not solve the problem you are having).

Best wishes.

I did switch hoses with my dive buddy on this last trip (he wanted to try out the long(er) hose) and the 5' hose was ridiculously short on him - and he's not even as tall as you are. Every photo I took of him that day shows the reg over to the right side of his mouth, like Popeye's pipe or something. So... maybe there is something to the 5' being a bit long on me (opposite effect).

I would have just tried the elbow fitting, but at ~$50 and with it just adding more complication, I figured I would ask the knowledgeable folks here. I'm really appreciating the reponses :)

If the fittings will make the difference for you then go for it. I am not a fan of the extra joints and fittings but sometimes they are necessary. I have a 70 degree swivel on my short hose reg and it makes a world of difference. I know a certain tech diver that uses the particular fittings that you are looking at as well. I think the routing of your hose may be your issue, but I cannot say 100%. I use a 7' hose but I am in a sidemount setup which is a bit different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom