Input Needed for Blue Hole Improvements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Ron, I am afraid you have hit things on the head. This is a multi million dollar project and they are not only going to have to pay for the project but the upkeep, maintenance, utilities and payroll. I doubt they plan on squeezing the locals, so guess who is left? Blue hole is going to become expensive and a pain in the butt.

There will be other options than Blue hole in the near future.

Bruce

My understanding is a large portion of their budget is in grants, and from both the Federal, and State governments. Not sure where all the money is coming from, but I don't think they need to pay for this through diver support prior to it getting done.

Continued improvements after they have pissed away the money is another issue all together! :D

My understanding is a large portion of their budget is in grants, and from both the Federal, and State governments. Not sure where all the money is coming from, but I don't think they need to pay for this through diver support prior to it getting done.

Continued improvements after they have pissed away the money is another issue all together! :D
Hi, I'm Don and I'm a cynic....

It's simple arithmatic to see that the hamlet could increase revenues above expenses by hiring someone to be there with applications and collections on Saturdays. Instead, what they probly have tried is to increase income without increasing payroll by trying to use salaried employees already on staff with existing responsibilities - and that's failed. How is a building going to change that...?

I can only guess that they hope to increase the whole package so as to create a new position, increase each diver's fees enough to offset the new Blue Hole Concierge position, and overcharge the market so much to reduce interest more than they anticipate. To make a warm up room available might be nice but to force all divers thru the building is suspicous.

Just curious if anyone knows how many divers a month visit Blue Hole? 400? How many of those have "annual passes" at the cost of $25.00. Even at 400 a month X $8.00 that is only $3200.00 a month in revenues. I think we're in for a daily fee of $15.00 to $25.00. I am surprised that no one from this board knows the overall plan of this project. The scary thing is, Santa Rosa may not know the overall plan.

Bruce

They have several issues.. folks not paying, and how to prevent access from locals that vandalize the place, or conduct drug deals on property. Liability for locals, or divers that are swimming/diving off hours is another concern. Basically many issues revolve around the easy access the Hole currently affords.

Last I spoke with Stella in May, Santa Rosa was DEAD SET against allowing access as we have it now. They want to route people through a building. This may make sense from their perspective as it ends most of their current access problems. Unfortunately it creates a lot of problems for us as divers with such a gear intensive sport.

Historically Santa Rosa does not have a proven record for manning the facility, or even keeping the gates unlocked especially weekdays, and Friday evenings.

One thing that may help would be for Santa Rosa to look at what other USA Destinations are doing. I don't think there is one place in the USA that is not underground where you have to enter a building as the sole way to get gear near/into the water. However things are becoming more restrictive. There has been some changes in Ginnie Springs and other FL landlocked sites that are making the locals none too happy....:11:

Some great points Ron! I think that logical thinking people can see the problems that SR is experiencing with the access. However, I would say that 99% of those problems are caused by the locals. Like all things, most will suffer to remedy the acts of a few...... :shakehead:

I "Hope" that they do look at the processes that other dive locations have implemented. It would serve them well.

Just curious if anyone knows how many divers a month visit Blue Hole? 400? How many of those have "annual passes" at the cost of $25.00. Even at 400 a month X $8.00 that is only $3200.00 a month in revenues. I think we're in for a daily fee of $15.00 to $25.00. I am surprised that no one from this board knows the overall plan of this project. The scary thing is, Santa Rosa may not know the overall plan.

Bruce

$25 a year is quite a steal! However, I would have to rethink the viability of using the site if that same cost is implemented per weekend or day. I'm sure that what ever monies they are receiving for the building in the grants won't do much for the maintenance in the long run. That will have to come out of an operating budget which might be interesting....

Santa Rosa put out a master plan a couple of years ago when this project started. Haven't seen anything that resembles that for awhile. Assuming that it's changed, it would nice to see the new plan.

One of the problem areas is the lack of communications from Santa Rosa to the dive community. That was part of the Idea Groups agenda......

Bruce

Keep in mind that while many things in Santa Rosa are as expensive as the rest of the US, a LOT of things are not.. and some big ones.. like housing. I agree that their monthly revenue is low, however so is their overhead. As of now their overhead costs them VERY little.

That is likely going to change with the new facility.

No one on the board knows the overall plan because I doubt Santa Rosa knows... I'm sure you can find old threads on this forum that discuss this, and post the original plans. They were rather elaborate.... not sure if they have changed or no.

The business plan is definitely worth a read. Thanks for putting up that link.

Overall it sounds optimistic, but as they say, "The devil will be in the details."

Admission for divers will be $20 on weekends and holidays and $15 during the week. In
addition, a special rate of $25 will be charged for dives scheduled outside of normal
operating hours (with a minimum charge of $100). We project that, in the first year, there
will be 10,400 paying divers during normal hours and another 160 divers during off hours.
Usage (of all profit centers) is projected to grow at an annual rate of 5%.

Ask and though shall receive. So there you go, a daily rate of $20.00, and while not really expensive the cost of diving Blue hole is certainly on the rise, especially with the cost of fuel.
I am surprised at the projected number of divers averaging 200 + a week. I wonder if that means 10,400 divers or 10,400 diver days. If I dive Sat and Sun, am I considered 2 divers?

In any case it is apparent who will pay for this project and it also apparent that access to Blue hole is going to be via the building as NON RESIDENT spectators will also be charged. I think that may be a little optimistic but who knows.

a special rate of $25 will be charged for dives scheduled outside of normal
operating hours (with a minimum charge of $100).

Night diving just got really expensive.

Thanks for the link.

Bruce

I find this interesting:

Santa Rosa:
Currently, a lot of time and money is spent on enforcement for people diving without a permit. But the majority of the people diving without a permit have had difficulty in obtaining one. It would be more cost effective and would enhance customer service to make it as easy as possible to obtain information and permits rather than to try to enforce penalties.

I find this impossible to believe. A LOT of time and Money?? What, a minimum wage employee who may spend two hours on Saturday (maybe the same or less on Sunday) verifying permits? The reality is however that it's not four hours a week, it's less. I've been there many times, and never seen anyone collecting.

So it was $25 a year, and now $20 a day?

I'm missing the current way things are already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom