Inhalation Effort Controls?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always kept mine tight to slow my breathing. Lately I've found my sac goes down with it looser. I think the tight inhale makes me do a hard exhale greatly shortening my rhythm.

From my understanding that's because you have to "work" less on inhalation to get the air you need, which lowers the co2 production in the body. By reducing co2 production your also reducing the O2 required for the for respiration cycle.

I prefer mine about half way slightly on the easy side.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I believe that the lowest inhalation/exhalation effort will over time yield the lowest consumption rate. It makes it easier to achieve smooth, slow, deep, relaxed breathing.

As awap mentioned, you don't want the 2nd stage tuned so "hot" that it is leaking, and I tune my own 2nd stages so that they are "stable", but less effort is always good.

Best wishes.

I believe there is a small amount of evidence that work of breathing has been associated with pulmonary edema. I prefer to keep mine as loose as possible, without free flow. I think it helps me to have a clearer head at depth, possibly due to less CO2 buildup but I'm really not sure. I just don't like the feeling that I have to pull my breaths from the regulator, in a situation where I have to work hard against current or for any other reason I could see that becoming a problem, increasing anxiety.

If you are trying to slow your tempo and reduce your heart rate you could try using a four count breathing method.

pranayama is such an awesome companion/precursor to scuba! usually fall roughly into a 4 count in/exh while finning, 6-8 count while gliding/hovering. less than a month on the OW c-card ink, average RMV of .40 for me, and .42 for the wife.

as for the resistance, i prefer wide open in the limited quarry diving we've done.

I believe that the lowest inhalation/exhalation effort will over time yield the lowest consumption rate. It makes it easier to achieve smooth, slow, deep, relaxed breathing.

wife accidentally did a dive (90min, 20 fsw max, 15 fsw avg) at the quarry a few weeks ago with the tension fully cranked down and the venturi disabled (SP mk25/s600); after a 2hr SI, did the same profile (100min, 21fsw max, 15 fsw avg) with tension fully open and venturi enabled.

RMV changed by .02, roughly 5%, aka: not statistically significant.

Last edited:
I'm a new diver with a relatively high SAC rate, and had been keeping my regulator "tight" with the thought that it would help me use less air, but after reading this I'm going to try opening it up more and see what happens.

I'm a new diver with a relatively high SAC rate, and had been keeping my regulator "tight" with the thought that it would help me use less air, but after reading this I'm going to try opening it up more and see what happens.

"Using less air" is a function of proper weighting and trim, limiting extraneous movement (arm flapping for example), "stress" level, exertion level, and your personal physiologic needs.... all of which will never be exactly the same as the diver next to you.

I believe trying to artificially reduce air consumption by limiting supply (via increased breathing resistance or skip-breathing) is a mistake, and in certain circumstances can actually be dangerous.

Your body needs what it needs. We are all different, but most new divers naturally reduce their air consumption over time.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom