Inhalation Effort Controls?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos Danger

Contributor
Reaction score
Years ago I discovered that I actually prefer to keep my regs set to more restrictive inhalation setting for a tighter "sipping" type of feel. For me it syncs better with my own personal breathing rhthyms and promotes a slower tempo. Just curious about other perspectives, or if anyone else has similar opinions?

My dive buddy swears by it, but I'd rather breathe as easy as possible.

I generally prefer to keep the regulator a little tight. I hate the feeling of an impending freeflow and extra bubbling when putting your face into the current. If I am working hard, I may back the knob off a little.

My dive buddy swears by it, but I'd rather breathe as easy as possible.

Ditto. My wife likes to keep her regs "tight," I prefer to keep mine "loose and easy."

I prefer mine set just a hair below free flow as I am usually working when I am underwater. If you are trying to slow your tempo and reduce your heart rate you could try using a four count breathing method. Done properly you can get your heart rate down to the 50-60 beats per minute range.

I can restrict my own breathing without having to use the regulator to restrict it. But there is a point where delivery becomes unstable and you can feel the extra bubble exhaust that you did not use. A little adjustment takes care of that.

I always kept mine tight to slow my breathing. Lately I've found my sac goes down with it looser. I think the tight inhale makes me do a hard exhale greatly shortening my rhythm.

My 2nds are adjusted to 0,6 inch/water (SP D - series), I love the smoothness in breathing light if necessary.

As professional in charge for customers I want to be sure the regulator delivers the air as easy as possible in cases of emergency.

While diving normal I use my tongue as a 'splashboard', increasing by this the inhaling effort a bit. If I really need the air easy to come, I let my tongue fall in the normal position and can enjoy inhaling as easy and smooth as possible.

Works for me fine since twenty five years.

i like them tight
i also like adjustable seconds
the freeflow thingy through the 'thermo!
have fun!
yaeg

On some of my regs I like it a bit tighter than others, it probably has something to do with venturi or the case dimensions of the various. Second stages.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk.

Back
Top Bottom