Inexhaustible CO2 Eliminator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madmole once bubbled...
Evolution is awaiting the new hanset electronics...
All to yet be CE'ed...

Personally a smaller unit's of no interest to me...
2L ... too small to be of any use below 20m for bailout

The CO2 monitoring sounds fantastic. Hope it's not just pipedreams, this post about scrubbers started in 2000 and it still is wishull thinking ... :(
Do they have any idea when the Evo will be available?

Hope it won't cost twice as much as the Inspiration by the time they actually get it on the market. Unlike the usual "rebreather are going to be less expensive in the future", the Inspiration's price keeps going up, with new stuff (ADV) NOT being added but staying an expensive option. :upset:

As for size, I'd rather have a unit that travels easy, airline travel restrictions getting worse as they have been. Too many good dive spots south of the border(s). I can live with off-board bailout.
I just wish that APD's scrubber's were a bit more efficient. 3 hrs. is what the Evo should be able to do, the Inspiration 4-5, considering it's bulk ... :rolleyes:

Wait ... less weight, longer scrubber ... ... SHAS !!! :D

Actually the Inspiration scrubber IS the most efficient already. That's a recorded statement from DERA the UK military test house

Breakthrough accured with something like 99% use of the material. No other rebreather comes close

Just needs more of it to compete with the others on duration

madmole once bubbled...

Just needs more of it to compete with the others on duration

Okay, then it's not the scrubber that inefficient, but the use of space in the yellow box. There are an inch or two wasted ... plus that odd inner shape at the bottom of the black half. Even though that means the yellow one wouldn't be as pretty. :rolleyes:
Or would a larger scrubber increase breathing resistance past CE limit?

Thanks by the way for making me feel less foolish about my 'recreational Nitrox mindset'. Am not ready to trimix and mingle ... .
To you too, Joe. :)

Okay, this statement is NOT true,

Actually the Inspiration scrubber IS the most efficient already. ........ Breakthrough accured with something like 99% use of the material. No other rebreather comes close

It's not even close to the efficiency of the insulated radial flow of the PRISM or other radial flow systems eg. SIVA 55, etc.

Take their published duration, which doesn't quote RMV, whether the test was continuous or cycled, or whether it was conducted at depth or surface. Then do a ratio calculation using the data on SMIs site which has been up for two years (and gives the test parimeters), then for the same weight of material you get an additional 53 minutes duration on the PRISM.

That's why SMI posted the USNavy data for all to see.

Shas

To Shas, et al,

I'm sure that the Prism is a fine unit. When I went looking for one, I just couldn't get one.

Since you seem to have, or "are", a source, can you tell us how many Prism units have actually been produced? How many units come off the line every month? :rolleyes:

When you consider that the largest producer won't publish their figures, do you really think that's a fair question?

So in keeping with the spirit of other manufacturers replies, SMI has more rigs out there than Cis-Lunar and less than Inspiration:)

Shas once bubbled...
Take their published duration, which doesn't quote RMV, whether the test was continuous or cycled, or whether it was conducted at depth or surface. Then do a ratio calculation using the data on SMIs site which has been up for two years (and gives the test parimeters), then for the same weight of material you get an additional 53 minutes duration on the PRISM.

That's why SMI posted the USNavy data for all to see.

But are the same numbers available for the Inspiration? Maybe it can do 4 hours but APV cut it back as a safety factor. But as I'm not planning any 4 hours dives (cold up here), its a moot point for me.

Shas once bubbled...
When you consider that the largest producer won't publish their figures, do you really think that's a fair question?

So in keeping with the spirit of other manufacturers replies, SMI has more rigs out there than Cis-Lunar and less than Inspiration:)

Good answer....

now that the military version of the megladon has gotten very positive feedback from navy testers things should get interesting..

The more competition the better off we all are.

Shas once bubbled...

Are you asserting that the Navy performed the same detail tests on the Inspiration and sent the report to APV? Or maybe the Navy didn't bother because its duration is only rated at 3hrs or any other various reasons. Possible that the Navy wanted classified modifications and rather work with an US company. Maybe Inspiration didn't want to waste time/resources even submitting a unit due to a small purchase over X years.

Fact: We know that the Inspiration passes CE testing and the CE requirements are available to all (for a small charge I believe).

Unknown: We do not know if any other RB has attempted CE certification. Unknown if they would pass or not.

Fact: We know the Navy performed a set of tests on the Prism.

Unknown: I've not seen any information that the Navy performed the same level of testing on any other RB. Please correct me if you have proof.

Unknown: We do not know the order run over X years required by the Navy. Maybe only 100 units...

Has anyone asked the Navy for all documented related to the selection process under the Freedom of Information Act?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom