New book on scrubber canisters by John Clarke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_ledford

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999

Breakthrough: Revealing the Secrets of Rebreather Scrubber Canisters​

From the description:

When using a closed circuit rebreather (a type of underwater breathing apparatus or UBA) to descend into the depths, your life is dependent on an opaque cylinder containing a chemical absorbent. That absorbent keeps you alive by scavenging toxic carbon dioxide (CO2) from your circulating breath and producing heat. The absorbent’s efficiency may vary tremendously between dives and even during a dive.

The results of U.S. Navy research and testing are finally being revealed so you can see what has long remained hidden inside the hot, caustic confines of a rebreather scrubber. While the enclosed material is technical, it is largely pictorial. You will learn many things about your underwater life support system that have never been disclosed to the public.

BREAKTHROUGH fills the knowledge gap for mathematical and computer modeling of CO2 elimination in underwater breathing apparatus (UBA). The intended audience is every UBA designer or diver interested in a better understanding of scrubber canisters and metabolic CO2 elimination. It introduces the reader to a new form of stochastic modeling using cellular automata to quantify and visualize the complex thermokinetics of the carbon dioxide absorption reactions that keep divers alive during rebreather diving.

This technical monograph provides insights into the hidden chemical and mechanical machinery of rebreather scrubbers, a primary Underwater Life Support System component. The topic is most relevant to the categories of Life Support Systems, Technical Diving, and Rebreather Diving. It also pertains to the categories of Mathematical Modeling and Computer Modeling.

Added to the wishlist.

Anyone have an independent review? Worth it?

Copyright is October 21, 2022. I found out about it from a friend of mine that is at the UHSM meeting going on in San Diego this week.

I haven't read it, so I have no input on it's contents.

You can't buy it. Amazon says "out of print - limited availability" and there is no price. So much for adding it to my wishlist.

I took the second image of the book that showed the back cover. Shows a price of $39.95 and the ISBN number. Searched for that ISBN number and found little on it as well. One link stated a 2015 copyright, but I can't even find that now.

Weird that it's now no longer available on Amazon, I added it to my cart a couple days ago and was about to order it.

Back
Top Bottom