New book on scrubber canisters by John Clarke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AP have the best rebreather manual imho. Attached shows the considerations they have for scrubber duration.

Attachments

• 81269504-9A87-4F51-8CB1-7B2544CCC5F2.jpeg
    81269504-9A87-4F51-8CB1-7B2544CCC5F2.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 92
AP have the best rebreather manual imho. Attached shows the considerations they have for scrubber duration.
except nobody is working at 1.6 lpm o2 on a dive

I kinda like ISC's way of providing test data for a variety of workloads/depths, and especially how in the last example below they use a more realistic scenario. They don't have a manual though... :)

CO2 DURATION, 5.5 lbs radial scrubber:

Gas mix: 09/66 tmx (PO2 1.0) (END 80fsw / 24msw), depth: 330fsw / 100 msw, water temp: 73°f / 23°c, 40 RMV / 20 BPM / 2L TV. CO2 production: 1.35 LPM. This is the equivalent to a U.S. Combat diver swimming above .85 knots. Time - 218 minutes. U.S. Navy test methods tm 01-94.

Gas mix: 09/66 TMX (po2 1.0) (END 80 fsw / 24 msw), depth: 330 fsw / 100 msw, water temp 39°F / 4°C, 40 RMV / 20 BMP / 2L TV. CO2 production: 1.6 LPM. Moderately extreme level of swimming exertion. Time 102 min. CE standard.

Gas mix: air, depth: 132fsw / 40 msw, water temp 39°F / 4°C, 40 RMV / 20 BPM / 2L TV. CO2 production: 1.6 LPM. Moderately extreme level of swimming exertion. Time 160 min. CE standard.

Gas mix: air, depth: 132fsw / 40msw variable depths, water temp 50°F / 10°C, CO2 production: variable. Kick and glide recreational level of swimming exertion. Time 5 hours. The example of this type of diving would be diving in Scapa Flow, Scotland, doing two 75 min decompression dives a day for two days and then throw the granular material away.

I have my copy and will check it out over the weekend :) John's blog was always top notch even if difficult to navigate so I have high hopes here

Finished the book. Pretty thoughtful stuff. While I never pushed scrubber, the Dr. Clarke's writing wants me to be even more conservative. A few quick points.
  • There is a trade-off between what we call WOB and scrubber efficiency. Deep divers may benefit from larger sorb grains, like 408. (Don't blindly follow this point - read the book first)
Coincidently, and priot to reading this thread, I just alluded to this fact in a post re Dave Shaw's choice of sorb on his fatal dive. Post #67, third 'point', this page.

I have my copy and will check it out over the weekend :) John's blog was always top notch even if difficult to navigate so I have high hopes here
Yup, I'd say he has done the diving community a great service by publishing his work through the blog and now this book, sharing info that would otherwise be harder to access in (admittedly also excellent) NEDU reports. I hope people realize the ressources and years of cutting edge research on this very topic that back up John Clarkes expertise. Just got my book, looking forward to study it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom