Ineligible log entries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John, MasterB, Yeah that's about what I figured. So except the standard of depth, PSI, etc. for training dives, there is nothing about having a buddy, signatures, stamps, etc. Many ask about that stuff on scubaboard.

For NJ wreck dives i was/am asked(if with a diffrent charter) about dive experience, number of dives and specifically about deep cold water experience. never asked to see my log book. i guess i cold have lied but that just sounds like a wast of time. But once your on the boat your on your own... you have a problem you deal with it.

I had one prospective instructor tell me he only accepted dives recorded in paper logs, signed by a DM or higher, and stamped by a dive shop. He kept a photo copy for liability reasons to prove he had taught a student who met the prerequisites of the course.
OMG, that is amazing. I think such a standard, while apparently functional for the instructor from a liability perspective, would significantly limit his pool of potential subjects. I 'grew up' in a shop that did not have a stamp, until I had one made for them several years after I became an instructor. A number of my students were asking if we had a stamp and I became frustrated with having to tell them, 'No'. :)

I had one prospective instructor tell me he only accepted dives recorded in paper logs, signed by a DM or higher, and stamped by a dive shop.
I'm diving North European style: If there's a DM they're sitting it out on the boat. Independent buddy pairs. Mostly club outings, private boat or shore diving.

So if an instructor were to demand that, I'd never qualify for any other class than OW. Less than 5% of my log entries are stamped by a dive shop, and I want my buddy's signature, not the signature of the guy who's supposed to herd us. I don't think that even a single one of my log entries is signed by a PADI babysitter.

I 'grew up' in a shop that did not have a stamp, until I had one made for them several years after I became an instructor.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most dive shops don't have a stamp unless they are in a tourist destination.

Some divers have personal stamps. I have seen them but haven't gotten one yet. That is my next goal.

Some divers have personal stamps. I have seen them but haven't gotten one yet. That is my next goal.
That's interesting. What does a personal stamp normally show?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most dive shops don't have a stamp unless they are in a tourist destination.
:) Your are right, of course. My point to our - very inland - shop was that it is good marketing: for example, the instructor, or the shop owner, makes a flourish of stamping the dives recorded in that newly certified diver's logbook, or stamping the dives that were just completed on a shop-sponsored trip to Bonaire. Certainly not an essential activity, just an extra 'touch'. The fact that we had customers / students asking if we had a stamp was a motivating factor.
I have a personal Instructor stamp. Again, it is in part a matter of marketing. And, ideally when a diver looks back though their logbook several years down the road, and is reminded - by seeing the stamp - of the course and the diving, they might think of me as a potential instructor for their next planned training adventure. :) The stamp is simple, set up to fit in the rectangular box on the logbook page, and didn't cost all that much.

Attachments

• WTS Stamp File JPG.jpg
    WTS Stamp File JPG.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 64
An electronic watermark-like stamp for electronic logs would be cool. A DM or instructor could transfer it to your device upon request.

I'm diving North European style: If there's a DM they're sitting it out on the boat. Independent buddy pairs.

Sounds like NC boat diving except the buddy pairs is also optional at least on the boats I go on.

I have been asked for my log on a couple occassions. One was for Master Diver. Not all certs were with the same shop, in fact, not all with the same agency. (SDI). Also for DM glanced at the number of dives.

Most places ask to see a card that requires OW. If you happen to show them the solo card or a DM card then you have also verified in a sense a certain number of dives. Found the solo card useful on occassion in the Keys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom