Ineligible log entries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, Frank, as an experienced dive operator, which of the following would come closest to the approach you used when having highly experienced and/or professional divers sign up for your trips?
  1. I will stick him or her with an absolutely beginner, someone who may never dive again, to keep that beginner safe, even though I know the experienced diver/professional will be pissed as all Hell about it.
  2. I will give him or her the best possible experience so that he or she will want to come back frequently, bring friends, and recommend my operation to students and to other professionals.
We never ever ever assigned buddies, and happily allowed solo diving, and if you weren't a certified solo diver, we made sure you knew that the class was available, that the rule for the boat was buddy diving, and that as long as you came up within a reasonable time "together" or with a good excuse, you were good.

As I get older, I like to think that folks should have some responsibility for their diving. Some folks want and should have buddies. In that case, we felt that the trip leader (The guy coming for "free") should shoulder that responsibility. OTOH, other folks are perfectly content and indeed want to wander off on their own.

To answer more directly, we enjoyed an 80% repeat customer rate. So number 2 was our goal.

That doesn't mean we were the boat for everyone. We didn't allow scooters or doubles, only because we serviced 24 divers. The new boat will be a much more intimate operation, where the charterer sets the itinerary and diving rules. And they will select the other passengers as well.

The new boat will be a much more intimate operation, where the charterer sets the itinerary and diving rules. And they will select the other passengers as well.

Thats some first class stuff right there!

The new boat will be a much more intimate operation, where the charterer sets the itinerary and diving rules. And they will select the other passengers as well.

And when might we expect said "new boat"?
I wasn't around for the last one and feel like I missed some great stuff.

Although I understand some instructors or shops fear legal entanglements, and want to photocopy logs and verify 'required' dive counts...

I find the whole concept of a 'valid' or 'ineligible' log entry complete BS. This is not the FAA. There is no regulatory or even industry standard for 'official' log entries, or even the need to keep a log. What makes a DM or dive buddy signature, or boat/shop stamp of any traceable value? Nothing. It's fun and interesting, but otherwise useless.

There is no 'scuba examiner' who checks your paperwork, log books, medical forms, or instructor credentials.. then tests and quizzes you before giving you a certificate....

Last edited:
I've not a lot of experience, and have never been asked to show my log book (which I keep faithfully with pics, drawings and notes to self along with the other stuff). However my friend lost her cert card, the boat allowed her to dive when she showed them her log book which matched her husbands.

Not the same level of cards but my experience has been the same as boulderjohns. In the Cayman's they clearly sorted the divers by experience. We did longer and more interesting dives. Same experience on some occassions in the Keys and a lot in NC. Note that one local op that I use a lot knows that on shallow routine dives I do not mind diving with a less experienced buddy so they may give me one. But they do not mind me staying longer on a dive after air sucker is back on deck.

And when might we expect said "new boat"?
I wasn't around for the last one and feel like I missed some great stuff.
Not to derail a very important thread (sorry, Cameron) I got a email last night from the custodian, it will auction in July or August.

ive always logged my dives...my instructor was particular about logging it for my personal record, but I'm also working on my master scuba diver rating and my divemaster so...aside from that ive only been asked about my logged dives in terms of 'how many dives have you done in the past year" or "when was your last dive"

Back
Top Bottom