Ineligible log entries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well, here's another thread about logging for continuing education purposes.

Have you ever had a dive you considered logged refused as ineligible by an instructor you looked to learn under?

I had one prospective instructor tell me he only accepted dives recorded in paper logs, signed by a DM or higher, and stamped by a dive shop. He kept a photo copy for liability reasons to prove he had taught a student who met the prerequisites of the course.

I've experienced an instructor glance at my dive computer and accept it at that. I've also had no verification whatever (including prior certification) beyond my word saying I'd done X dives and had logged them.

- personal backstory -
For the curious I only started logging dives 3 years ago when I climbed onto the padi wagon towards being an instructor. Prior years I was uncertified and since I didn't enjoy logging I didn't keep any records beyond photographs and a journal (as a child). Started at #1 with OW 1 and paper logged my first 250, next 300 are digital most recent 280 are still in on my dive computer.

- backstory concluded -

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:
:shocked:I read title as "unintelligible" as in "I can't read your chicken scratch." Which would be par for the course with my logbook.

Left handed male human here who kept a paper log carefully padded next to a wetsuit once, got a few pages of those too!

Never. In fact, I've never had an instructor ask for a logbook other than for resort charters. "What was the date of your last dive?" Come to think of it. I just think I mentioned when I last dove. I don't think anyone ever looked at my logbook except for awards.

Well, here's another thread about logging for continuing education purposes.

....I had one prospective instructor tell me he only accepted dives recorded in paper logs, signed by a DM or higher, and stamped by a dive shop. He kept a photo copy for liability reasons to prove he had taught a student who met the prerequisites of the course....

- backstory concluded -

Regards,
Cameron

There are too many good instructors out there to warrant dealing with an idiot.

Have never once been asked for my log book (which happens to be digital) including courses that required a certain number of dives. But "date of last dive" and "total dives" do seem to be fairly standard questions on dive op release forms.

I imagine any instructors requiring paper logs these days are going to find themselves without any students.

No one has EVER looked at mine (unless I gave it to them to sign). Not for charters or ANY courses (I guess they knew me....). But if they looked, they could read it--with my OCD. In fact the last buddy I had in Feb. wanted me to sign his book because he said HE had OCD.

Never been asked for a log book, which is good because I don't have one and I rotate computers enough that I wouldn't know if the dives were mine or someone else's.

I had one prospective instructor tell me he only accepted dives recorded in paper logs, signed by a DM or higher, and stamped by a dive shop. He kept a photo copy for liability reasons to prove he had taught a student who met the prerequisites of the course.

I always thought that was an urban legend, but I guess that instructor does exist!

we could be an outside case since we have never pursued formal "continuing education" beyond PADI OW. Everything else is self taught. i am not a fan of the formal education system (pick any subject). I do claim that there are dive conditions for which i am not competent. we avoid those as we do not like them (think Galapogos or NJ-NC-FLA wrecks).

we have never been asked to produce a log book. we have routinely been asked date of last dive. i do not think in the last 10 years that we have ever been asked the number of dives. on one of our last LOB trips they did not even want to see our c cards as they recognized us as having 10 previous trips on the same vessel.

i do make sure that whenever possible, i prominently display my circa 1995 uwatec aladin during these discussions. that seems to take the edge off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom