Ineligible log entries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took Solo from an instructor and shop that I had not done any prior training with. But, I go there all the time for fills. Before agreeing to have me as a student, the instructor did ask "you have over 100 dives, right?" I said yes and that was that. No logbook review.

The dive ops I've been out with have most often asked how many dives in the last 12 months. They've never looked at my log, though. They do look at C cards, but it seems to be just to make sure I have one, not so much what it is. They say they require Advanced, but I have presented my original OW card and nobody batted an eye. And they do (mostly) check my Nitrox card before giving me fills.
I certainly think for a certificate like that that your skills in the water would be far more important than the number of entries in your book - despite the course having a minimum number of dives. Interestingly the 100 dive minimum is more than the minimum requirement for instructor trainees - does it take more skill to dive solo than teach?

I have had similar experience in that I have only been asked for my cards and last dives - never been asked to hand over my book.

NEVER logged a dive...

Didn't PADI want proof of dives for an instructor rating? I can't remember if it was for Tec Deep, at the time, or Self Reliant.
Like (I believe) all agencies, some PADI courses (instructor, deep diver, tech, etc.) require a minimum number of dives, and the instructor is supposed to verify it. How the instructor is supposed to verify it is not specified. When I got my DM rating, the shop where I did it actually photocopied my log book pages and put them in my file. I got my instructor rating with that shop some time later, and they didn't ask--I had been working for them long enough for them to know.

As a tech instructor, I have to verify the minimum dives requirement, and I do it through a variety of means. For example, I have a new student starting with me now. I have dived with him for years--I won't even bother asking about it. In truth, the minimum number of dives requirement is a nearly meaningless formality--what counts is how the diver performs in the class.

Like (I believe) all agencies, some PADI courses (instructor, deep diver, tech, etc.) require a minimum number of dives, and the instructor is supposed to verify it. How the instructor is supposed to verify it is not specified. When I got my DM rating, the shop where I did it actually photocopied my log book pages and put them in my file. I got my instructor rating with that shop some time later, and they didn't ask--I had been working for them long enough for them to know.

As a tech instructor, I have to verify the minimum dives requirement, and I do it through a variety of means. For example, I have a new student starting with me now. I have dived with him for years--I won't even bother asking about it. In truth, the minimum number of dives requirement is a nearly meaningless formality--what counts is how the diver performs in the class.

Deep doesn't have a minimum number of dives I believe. I don't have the resources to check now but I'm pretty sure.

Deep doesn't have a minimum number of dives I believe. I don't have the resources to check now but I'm pretty sure.
You are probably thinking of the Deep Diver specialty; I was thinking of the Tech Deep Diver program (Tec 40, 45, and 50).

I was talking about having to send documentation to PADI directly for one rating. Now that I think about it, it was for Self Reliant and was based on experience and not through a CD.

I had one prospective instructor tell me he only accepted dives recorded in paper logs, signed by a DM or higher, and stamped by a dive shop. He kept a photo copy for liability reasons to prove he had taught a student who met the prerequisites of the course.
that instructor is a tool

Didn't PADI want proof of dives for an instructor rating? I can't remember if it was for Tec Deep, at the time, or Self Reliant.
sure - but the requirement that be witnessed by a DM or higher is ludicrous.

when you go for a Coast Guard captains license you need to show proof of days at sea - on a summary form that you complete. They don't want to see deck logs, and they certainly didn't follow you around with a gps to verify that what you report is accurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom