Incident - Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbsaw:
I dove with Rainbow Reef recently.... It blows my mind on how casual some divers and the crew take the dive on the Grove or the Duane..

You are right stay away from the cattle boats....

I used Rainbow Reef about a year ago on the Spiegel Grove, and was impressed by the level of caution and professionalism of the crew when we dove. Luckily there was almost no current except during our stop on the line on the way back to the surface.

dlent:
What classes teach how to deploy a bag properly? I'd like to learn how to use one.
I don't know of this being included in classes. Depends more on the Inst. You could ask yours about this...

I wouldn't mind a bigger boat if they towed a jetski along to go get free floaters. Has anyone ever seen a boat take behind a jetski?

DIR-F and Advanced Nitrox/Deco procedures usually have SMB/liftbag deployment. I'm sure there are plenty of other classes out there that instructors put that skill into as well.

Matt

I don't believe that anyone on this thread is "blaming" the boat operators for the incident. All we are saying is that it is faster and easier to pull 10 divers out than to pull 24+. It's obviously a matter of personal preference whether one chooses a small boat over a large cattle boat.

Corigan:
DIR-F and Advanced Nitrox/Deco procedures usually have SMB/liftbag deployment. I'm sure there are plenty of other classes out there that instructors put that skill into as well.

advanced nitrox is about the first time you encounter a lift bag, in my experience

of course, you could always grab an instructor and take two dives to learn
and practice the skill

dlent:
What classes teach how to deploy a bag properly? I'd like to learn how to use one.
It depends on the area and instructor ... around here (Puget Sound) several instructors teach it at the AOW level, as a "required" boat diving skill.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I beg to differ as I too dove w/ "The Reef" and felt that as sweet as pie as they were, they had no problem letting panic divers dive and barely checked your specs prior to entering the boat. Every man for himself on those trips as far as I am concerned. Good luck to ya!

biscuit7:
First, I'll respond to Andy....

There is nothing dumber than doing a blue water ascent in a ripping current unless it's part of the dive plan and the boat is watching for you. If you want to find yourself MILES from your dive boat, go right ahead and do it, but all those divers that came up on other mooring balls did it right. If your boat is tied to the ship, you'd better come up on something tied to the ship.

This is not that hard a dive, but does have unpredictable currents. If you stay close to the deck and in the lee of the current you should be able to make it back to the line you descended on. I've done 6-7 dives on her and not ever had a problem getting back to my line.

Kudos to all the boats that participated in getting everyone back to shore in one piece. Sounds like a mess and the professionals out there got it all sorted without losing anyone and no loss of life and that sounds like it was a distinct possibility at one point.

Rachel

I just wanted to say - I think this is one of your best posts (that I've read)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom