Incident - Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gpatton

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
http://www.keysnews.com/350265008735015.bsp.htm

Quick response saves Spiegel Grove diver

BY STEVE GIBBS sgibbs@keysnews.com
Free Press Staff

KEY LARGO — A diver from Texas found floating near a commercial dive boat recently was not breathing when pulled from the ocean by the Horizon Divers crew.

Quick work by the crew and help from other divers likely saved the man's life….

The rest of the story is on the Keysnews.com website……….
Seems like there are some lessons to be learn from this incident...

I know a couple people who were on the Rainbow Reef boat and they told us all about it. Apparently it was quite the unravelling. Divers everywhere and getting fished out by various boats due to the current picking up.

This is one of the reasons why I don't want a cattle boat when we go down to Key Largo in June.

I dove with Rainbow Reef recently.... It blows my mind on how casual some divers and the crew take the dive on the Grove or the Duane..

You are right stay away from the cattle boats....

I second the plan to not use cattle boats down there.

Wow, that sounds like a Charlie Foxtrot of the first order.

I dove the Grove a couple of weeks with Conch Republic Divers. My buddy and I went through the superstructure and portions of the hull looking for Snoopy.

The wreck's not a difficult dive, but it should still be respected. Sounds like that just didn't happen here.

from the article:

Capt. Bob Bates, who was at the helm of Horizon Divers' Cheeca View dive boat that morning, said currents were almost non-existent when 26 divers went under on the wreck site. But soon thereafter, currents intensified dramatically.

"On top of the current, these were not the most meticulous divers," Bates said. "... There was bad navigating, bad air management and a generally low level of respect for what they had committed to."

currents are ALWAYS an issue on the Grove, even when there is none. they can
pick up amazingly quick.

always be aware for increasing current, and always have your exit plan in place (how am i going to get to the line quickly?) if you need it.

also, i believe it is better to be on the surface breathing than under water
struggling to make it to a line. you can't fight a current for long. don't.

if you can't make the line, just ascend slowly, and, once on the surface, make
yourself bouyant and deploy your safety sausage.

thus, before diving the Grove, ask yourself: do i have the skills to make
a safe ascent in open water? do i have the safety equipment necessary
to be found on the surface? can i handle current picking up dramatically
without panicking?

i know it looks like an easy dive, but it can bite you in the butt real fast

what were the surface conditions like

the article doesn't say... doesn't sound like they were significant

(i did see where they think he swallowed water through his snorkel, so i had
the same thought you did)

Wow! I've seen alot of stories about divers being blown off the speigel grove but this one brings it home as I plan on diving it st. patties day weekend [sat. a.m.]
I do understand the risk factor and plan on maintaining the decent line all the way to the hull.as well as keeping a good hand hold on the structure during the entire dive. I would like to at least make it into the pilot house before my accent .
Is there any other advice you guy's can give.

i couldnt find the data but i think i heard on the radio 3-5 or 4-6ft on sun 103.1 but not sure

Back
Top Bottom