In orlando anyone want to dive in jupiter on friday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking to do some Jupiter diving on Friday. Would anyone want to go with us. My wife is brand new to diving just got her OW certification two weeks ago. Would like to dive with someone that knows the layout of the drift dives to give us some input on direction to head after drops. I have read currents can be interesting. I don't want to look at sand the whole time and be too far away from the reefs. If we don't get any answers in time to book we may just hire a DM to help out.

go with Jupiter dive center...they put DMs in the water and all you have to do is follow....weather is the factor this weekend.

A good captain will put you on the reef near the ledge (if that's what you're trying to hit). The dive briefing should include jogs, fly overs, swim throughs, etc. AFA the current, it has been fairly sporty lately but nothing excessive (a knot or 2) but it will generally take you north so that's where you drift. Most boats I know of have a DM in the water - you'd be best served to stick with them since they carry the dive ball. You will also are required to have a DSMB just in case you get separated from the ball (easy to do) and need to mark your ascent. JDC is very accommodating to new divers so that would be my recommendation.

I brought my dsmb, does everyone need to have one? My wife doesn't. Thanks for the input on dive shops. That's who I was planning on using after looking through the board last week. I didn't know they always dropped DMs though. Thanks for the heads-up on the weather. Looks like the whole time we are here it may rain so I don't really know what to do about that.

I brought my dsmb, does everyone need to have one? My wife doesn't. Thanks for the input on dive shops. That's who I was planning on using after looking through the board last week. I didn't know they always dropped DMs though. Thanks for the heads-up on the weather. Looks like the whole time we are here it may rain so I don't really know what to do about that.
Your wife should have a surface inflatable smb at the very least

Go on the Kyalami www.jupiterscubadiving.com All of the dive boats are okay but the customer service on the Kyalami is above the rest and it costs the same. They will lend you a safety sausage once you are on the boat. You can stick with the dive master and follow the ledges.

it absolutely gorgeous down here in ft. lauderdale today...if that's any indication about tomorrow..it should be a good day....may be weather forecast is wrong...(lol)...good luck and have a great dive.

Generally, the first reef is around 75', second dive a bit shallower, about 65' at top of reef. So you can stay on top, or ease down the side or into a "hollow" where it's deeper, nearer to the sand, which is more like 80-90'. So you have pretty reefs to look at, and usually a fair amount of fish and maybe even a ray or a sea turtle or a small shark if you look around. Both reefs and current typically run northward, so you don't fight the current, you use it, and drift over a lot of ground. So, less finning just to travel, hence your air lasts longer

Yes, just stay with the crowd near the DM, they try to go at a medium speed. Jump in early-ish so you don't have to catch up. If you or new-diver wife use air a bit faster than DM, signal him/her that you're going to surface and just start ascending when you're down to about 900psi, take it slow, and hang at 15'--no rope, so it's a free ascent, but you've got enough dives to be able to do that, and if you can hover at 20 to 15 feet and then come up real slowly to zero, you wife will have confidence to do the same. Ditto with reboarding via ladder in open water, if you can do it, she can.

I'm heading over that way, will make the morning dive with them (typically they have two boats going out), on Sunday.

Thanks again for all the info. I'm probably going to carry a bit of extra weight in case my wife has problems doing safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom