In line bleed valve for poormans transfill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the offer! Maybe I'll hit you up when I visit Texas!

This quiet a good idea and cheap too. And it turns my tank into a air blow gun for cleaning my keyboards....

Do you know what I need to connect this thing to a LP hose? I didn't see a spec for the inlet.
I use my partially-depleted scuba-tanks as a substitute for a compressor all the time. I actually own a 150psi compressor, but it's loud, annoying, and usually runs through it's tank very quickly.

I just realized my air-gun happen to already have the right size quick-disconnect on it. It also appears the standard compressor fittings that usually come with those blow-guns aren't the correct size. Perhaps someone else can answer the question: "What is the fitting size used by standard BCD inflator quick-disconnects?"

Instead of visiting Texas, (although you're welcome to do that), I'd suggest asking your dive-buddies. One of them might have some junk-hoses.

please please please please make sure that you have an OPV of some variety on the first stages. Both first stages need them, and the way that @couv originally intended was for these to be "normal" regulator setups with second stages on them. This lets you purge the system, but since most second stages are downstream, will protect from a catastrophic failure in the event of a HP leak.

please please please please make sure that you have an OPV of some variety on the first stages. Both first stages need them, and the way that @couv originally intended was for these to be "normal" regulator setups with second stages on them. This lets you purge the system, but since most second stages are downstream, will protect from a catastrophic failure in the event of a HP leak.

Thanks for the suggestion.
So I got a OPV valve with a pull tag, in lieu of a drain cock.
I can now depressurize by pulling the tag, and it serves as a OPV.
Very nice.

That's what I have on my 1st stage that I have set up as a dedicated "air tool" reg. Works perfectly for that kind of use.

Could you share the parts that you used?

The smallest ORB my local hardware store sells are size 4, which is the HP port size...
So I likely need to a trio:
LP size 3 to size 4 ORB, size 4 ORB to NPT, NPT OPV

This is a bit longer than I would've wanted..

(And yeah probably could've gotten the one on DGX but I'd like to be able to replace these locally instead of waiting for 1 week shipping and having to buy $49 worth of stuff to get free shipping. :( )

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Safety-relie.../dp/B00NT782LK/ref=psdc_3753811_t2_B081YT16XV

All you will need is an adapter 1/4" NPT to regular scuba 3/8" LP 3/8-24 Male TO 1/4

$7 for the OPV and $5 for the adapter and now you have a safety OPV and a bleed off valve. To bleed off gas all you do is pull up on the ring on the top of the OPV and that opens up the OPV.

617aTDyBIxL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

38-24-Male-TO-14-NPT-Female-Fittin12761-7044_th.jpg

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Safety-relie.../dp/B00NT782LK/ref=psdc_3753811_t2_B081YT16XV

All you will need is an adapter 1/4" NPT to regular scuba 3/8" LP 3/8-24 Male TO 1/4

$7 for the OPV and $5 for the adapter and now you have a safety OPV and a bleed off valve. To bleed off gas all you do is pull up on the ring on the top of the OPV and that opens up the OPV.

View attachment 670788

View attachment 670789

I like the above. Simple and effective.
A variation might be to use a standard OPV ( Over-Pressure Relief Valve (User Adjustable) ) in one low pressure port, and a BC inflator hose in another. Into the quick disconnect of the inflator hose you can choose a few options like an air nozzel (DGX Adapter: HQ Air Nozzle = BC Inflator QD Post ) or a tire inflator chuck. ( DGX Adapter: Tire Inflator = BC Inflator QD Post )

@boboqa put a regulator hose with an NPT adapter and a standard quick disconnect system on there. Cheap $3 OPV solves the OPV problem and then you get an inflator hose to actually use for filling tires or whatever, though by the time you get through all of those bloody adapters you're almost at the price of a cheap second stage which solves all of your problems, or frankly almost at the price of a transfill itself which is $120 with a gauge new and is a lot less cludgy than this. The original intent of this was assuming that you had a pair of regulators and could just tie them together at the hose, not try to build something.

The original intent of this was assuming that you had a pair of regulators and could just tie them together at the hose, not try to build something.

Quite right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom