In line bleed valve for poormans transfill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, for me I do have that (probably 10 year old) spare second stage, which would've solved all of my problems.

However for the sake of declutter (also probably weight wise since this is taken with me when travelling with my pony), the idea of losing the reg and put in a small OPV is very nice.
This makes the set lighter/smaller and easier to store (with only one HP hose).

So the set is,
1. Normally a tank pressure checker: [(1st stage + adapter, OPV + HP hose +) SPG].
2. When needed, I take off the SPG and put on the NPTxORB adapter: [(1st stage + adapter, OPV + HP hose +) NPTxORB] -> connected to my pony 1st stage

Why insist on a pressure checker you ask? I have dropped and scratched my main reg with long hose more than a couple times when checking tank pressure, my heart hurts.

I would have just bought one of these....
Din Filler with Screw Bleed - Upgraded
It has 1/4" NPT on one end and a HP port plug on the side. You could have put a HP gauge on the NPT end to make your pressure checker and then when you need to transfill you could have screwed a HP hose into the side port to fill the pony. Would have been smaller and much better/simpler than the above solution....

Bit late now, but the cheapest option is just to remove the O ring from one of the LP port blanking plugs!

To check tank pressure, you only need to open the valve for literally 1 second, so with a "leaky" LP blanking plug, the system just leaks itself down when you shut the cylinder valve again. The amount of gas "lost" is totally trivial and would be lost by manually depresurising the system after your pressure check anyway.........

I would have just bought one of these....
Din Filler with Screw Bleed - Upgraded
It has 1/4" NPT on one end and a HP port plug on the side. You could have put a HP gauge on the NPT end to make your pressure checker and then when you need to transfill you could have screwed a HP hose into the side port to fill the pony. Would have been smaller and much better/simpler than the above solution....

Yeah size wise that's true..

I tend to stuff functionalities onto the same thing so that I don't have to keep multiple stuff for different things. :p
A first stage based system can also be used as a air gun, so that I don't have to buy overpriced Air in a Can anymore...

Bit late now, but the cheapest option is just to remove the O ring from one of the LP port blanking plugs!

To check tank pressure, you only need to open the valve for literally 1 second, so with a "leaky" LP blanking plug, the system just leaks itself down when you shut the cylinder valve again. The amount of gas "lost" is totally trivial and would be lost by manually depresurising the system after your pressure check anyway.........

That's an interesting idea! Will try it later today.

lol mea culpa

upload_2021-7-14_7-35-57.png

My Air-tool reg:

The only 'special' part is the adaptor from the LP Scuba port, to the standard pipe thread - this goes into a bushing (to keep length down), then into a standard air tool 3:1 adaptor. One port is a standard industrial connector, then a 0-200psi gauge, and the pressure relief/release. I happened to have a spare button gauge, so that's in the HP port.

I have the 0-200 gauge on there since the I.P. on this reg can be adjusted with an allen wrench easily, so I figured it was a good idea in case I wanted to set it down to a specific tool pressure.

My Air-tool reg:

The only 'special' part is the adaptor from the LP Scuba port, to the standard pipe thread - this goes into a bushing (to keep length down), then into a standard air tool 3:1 adaptor. One port is a standard industrial connector, then a 0-200psi gauge, and the pressure relief/release. I happened to have a spare button gauge, so that's in the HP port.

I have the 0-200 gauge on there since the I.P. on this reg can be adjusted with an allen wrench easily, so I figured it was a good idea in case I wanted to set it down to a specific tool pressure.
WHAT is that and where may i buy it. :)

Every part can be sourced from Amazon....

WHAT is that and where may i buy it. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YWL3RQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"XS Scuba Male 1/4" NPT Adapter"

IIRC the 3-way splitter is 3/8" NPT, so there's a 1/4 NPT - 3/8 NPT bushing -- meaning that the 3/8" outside is internally threaded to 1/4", so it adds very little overall length.

It was cheaper, IIRC, to do 1 adaptor to the splitter than to get 3 adaptors and such to go to the 3 fittings w/o the splitter.

Back
Top Bottom