In defense of "insta", and even "bad" buddies..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can plan all you want but if the diver you are buddied with can't or won't follow the plan when you are in the water you tend to get frustrated. When it happens a few more times you get to the point where you think that it might not be worth diving with insta-buddies any more. Especially when you are paying $50 or $60 a dive.

paolov:
you should join Philippine PAradise Divers group , as you are hi-jacking the thread.

so to go on topic.

when i do fun dives, i would not like an insta-buddy with me as he may mess up my dive. probably perhaps after my fun dive then i could buddy up with him. there am on topic
I am usually a walk on diver when I dive so I am that insta-buddy this thread is discussing. Most all my dives are fun dives otherwise I wouldnt be diving. Lunch is a common topic of discussion.
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out later.

IwakuniDiver:
I personally have no problem diving with an inexperienced diver and do quite frequently. Instead of labeling them a "Newbie", "Insta-Buddy", or whatever, I approach each and every dive buddy as an independent experience with no relation to the last, or worst, one I have had. Each person I dive with I treat with the same amount of respect and give the same amount of attention to, no matter how many times I have / haven't splashed with them.

I could be diving with my best friend (who is my usual buddy) and if he's endagering himself or others by design or otherwise, I will terminate his and my dive.

Now maybe after I get over a 1000 dives under my belt I may change and become more cynical but I certainly hope not.

I agree. Perhaps I am more than a little cynical at this point. I like diving with new divers as long as that is made clear before we dive. It is the divers who misrepresent their skill level to go on an advanced dive or just on a regular dive that they can't handle that make me that way.

I have to say after all of this that I implore divers to be honest about their skill levels when they are asked. We were all beginners once and we would like to help. It is just when some divers get in over their head and don't say anything, then problems can arise. I dive a lot in resorts so I don't have a regular buddy. It is in places like Puerto Vallarta where I live that I see most of this happening but I did see it in Micronesia too. When people spend a lot of money to go to exotic dive locations and end up having some of their dives ruined because someone said they were more experienced than they really are you can understand where his mentality comes from. For some folks this might be a once in a lifetime trip and they want to enjoy all their dives.

Diver Dennis:
And Sage, next time have some facts to back up your condescending attitude.

Never meant for it to seem THAT way!:icon_ques

What would you like to know?

Quote:Oh...by the way...if you are not ready to solo dont ever complain about buddies...They save lives!

Quote:post up after you get your cert!!! :D:D

Hmmm. What do you think?

I often have to take a step back and remind myself that I come from military stock. I apologize. On the other hand its true. This is one sport where the other guy just might be the only link to our survival. It takes a lot of planning, and some guts to solo. I dont encourage anyone to do it. But when you are there, ...You're there.

I only want you to understand that its you that is going to control your environment. It really does not matter who you allow to enjoy it with you. Just make THEM understand that GOD blesses those that has thier own.

BIGSAGE136:
There is no such thing as an inta-buddy. YOU have the choice ALWAYS to go to that
step. You can call. You can teach. You can guide. You call the shots.

If I were ever "insta-buddied":wink: we would start from the ground floor. I would check his equipment, and I would introduce him/her to mine. If ever the MOMENT came when I felt uncomfortable I would inform the DM that I am solo.

Oh...by the way...if you are not ready to solo dont ever complain about buddies...They save lives!

Sage, as you say, this is one sport that the other guy might just be the only link to your survival. I think this is true but you have a far better chance of being killed in an MVA on the way to the boat. The way I control my environment is to do just as I have said, many times. I solo a lot or dive with groups and tag along behind unless I find an interesting subject to shoot.
The reason I included your post above was because a lot of us have done just that, gone through buddy checks, ask them questions and tried to feel them out before we get into the water, make sure they have enough experience and confidence to do the dive. The problem is that a lot of this can go out the window sometimes as soon as you are below the surface. That is very frustrating to divers like me, especially when you get someone who says they have good buoyancy skills on the boat but are actually reef walkers. When this happens enough, you start to question whether you should take the time to do it. The problem is magnified when you are in an exotic locale.
When diving with someone who tells you straight out they are new and need a hand, you know what to expect and I'm happy to dive with them if I'm not taking pictures or on holiday myself. Surprises U/W can ruin a dive and might be dangerous.
Your last post says to "make them understand that God blesses those that has their own". I see this as meaning that they better be able to take care of themselves and not rely on you. Catherine here on the board had a great line..."We're both solo divers and we want to dive together". I agree.
You also emphasized the point that you would not dive with them the moment you became uncomfortable. Do you have enough experience to read people right all the time? I don't and I done quite a few dives. One of my points was what do you do when you're underwater and find out the guy is a terrible diver? He is already an insta-buddy as soon as you drop so you're stuck. Do you just leave him and worry about yourself? I don't. I stick with him until the dive is over and address the problem when we get back on the boat. When this happens to you enough times I think you might become as cynical as I am at times. Will it happen to me again? Yes, there will be situations where I'll be with a group and be buddied up and won't be able to tell until we are in the water. Not necessarily dangerous situations but ones that will ruin my dive.
You also said not to complain about buddies unless you're ready to go solo because they save lives. Well this is not correct because it means that if you don't solo you should just put up with your buddy, even if he is a terrible diver? How is he going to save your life if he can't even take care of himself? Believe me, I understand VERY clearly that it is me who controls my environment. I've been saying that from my first post.
I see a lot of contradictions in your argument.

It is unfortunate that we can't always bring our trusted buddies on all of our dives.

I have the tendency to only dive with people I don't know in places where the stakes aren't high and where I can spend plenty of time shallow so that I can still enjoy the dive.

If I'm going to spend a great deal of money to get to a site, I want to be with people that embody a similar skill set as my own. There are certain dives I will no longer do with an insta buddy. It just isn't worth it any more.

Back
Top Bottom