In defense of "insta", and even "bad" buddies..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
So you go through the roster and pick your own buddy? How many times have you refused to dive if they don't meet your standards? Can you save yourself? I would hope so, if not you should not be in the water. Can you save them? Depends on the situation and if you could do it without hurting yourself too. I always plan dives, so I guess I won't be a statistic. What happens if you pick someone based on the story of experience they give you but they are fudging a bit, or a lot and you don't find out until you are in the water?
These are the types of scenarios that cause many experienced divers to be wary of Insta-Buddies.

I inform the Captain that I am solo or hit the cookie jar!

What do you do when you find out 10 minutes into the dive?

Pure rescue. Remember, and this is not cold, save yourself!

I get free diving because I am willing to be an insta-buddy. I often get invited to go with a local charter operator when he has a single diver needing a buddy. When I travel I bring my own buddy or go solo. I paid for that vacation I am not about to be paired up with an insta-buddy on holiday.

BIGSAGE136:
Pure rescue. Remember, and this is not cold, save yourself!

This is not just about an Insta-buddy that has to be rescued, in fact I've only had 2 emergencies in all my dives but about someone who is going to ruin your dive because they are incompetent as a diver. What do you do then? Get mad and say "I'll never dive with that Insta-buddy again". Which is exactly my point.

wedivebc:
I get free diving because I am willing to be an insta-buddy. I often get invited to go with a local charter operator when he has a single diver needing a buddy. When I travel I bring my own buddy or go solo. I paid for that vacation I am not about to be paired up with an insta-buddy on holiday.

I totally agree Dave. Exactly the point I was trying to get across. Why should you have to pay to babysit someone?

Diver Dennis:
This is not just about an Insta-buddy that has to be rescued, in fact I've only had 2 emergencies in all my dives but about someone who is going to ruin your dive because they are incompetent as a diver. What do you do then? Get mad and say "I'll never dive with that Insta-buddy again". Which is exactly my point.

Every dive you have is a rescue dive. You just dont realize it yet. Every dive is a deco dive too. Keep diving, and be safe.

Please explain. Yes, I do know that every dive is a deco dive, some a lot more than others but the rescue dive thing escapes me. I've never heard this before.

Diver Dennis:
Please explain. Yes, I do know that every dive is a deco dive, some a lot more than others but the rescue dive thing escapes me. I've never heard this before.

This is for the greater learning experience of those lurking. Have you taken rescue?:06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom