In defense of "insta", and even "bad" buddies..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh...you are doin all that denny? well, you will be a very desirable "solo- associate".

Diver Dennis:
Well that might be tough because I'm doing Advanced Nitrox, extended range and Trimix at the Peter Bennett School in Puerto Galera, PI. I'm taking the course from Matt who Peter trained personally. You can google Peter's name if you don't know who he is. Perhaps you could post after you go through the same course?
Now back to my other question, what would you do 10 minutes into a dive with an incompetent diver and would that make you more wary of Insta-Buddies next time?

I value my life. If you just tossed away your own I am going to watch you so I can direct others to your location. If I can pull you out I will. If there is any doubt in my mind about my ability to save myself you are on your own, and I hope you are enjoying the ride.

I'm starting in May and I'll finish in October, after Bali.

Lunch is an important diving related social event that should be discussed. Most dived do end with a meal shortly after returning to dock.

BIGSAGE136:
I value my life. If you just tossed away your own I am going to watch you so I can direct others to your location. If I can pull you out I will. If there is any doubt in my mind about my ability to save myself you are on your own, and I hope you are enjoying the ride.

Wait, as I said, we are talking about an incompetent diver, not someone throwing their life away. Back on topic please. The question is about finding yourself diving with a diver who is not very good in the water, not very good to the point of ruining your dive. At that point do you find yourself not wanting to dive with Insta-buddies again?

Diver Dennis:
Wait, as I said, we are talking about an incompetent diver, not someone throwing their life away. Back on topic please. The question is about finding yourself diving with a diver who is not very good in the water, not very good to the point of ruining your dive. At that point do you find yourself not wanting to dive with Insta-buddies again?

As Outcast says..."Ya'll don't get it cause you just don't dance".

superstar:
Lunch is an important diving related social event that should be discussed. Most dived do end with a meal shortly after returning to dock.

you should join Philippine PAradise Divers group , as you are hi-jacking the thread.

so to go on topic.

when i do fun dives, i would not like an insta-buddy with me as he may mess up my dive. probably perhaps after my fun dive then i could buddy up with him. there am on topic

So you have no answer regarding the main point of this thread? I'm trying to explain why there are a lot of people who are wary of diving with Insta-buddies.

Diver Dennis:
So you have no answer regarding the main point of this thread? I'm trying to explain why there are a lot of people who are wary of diving with Insta-buddies.

Because there are a lot of divers who have not reached a level of competence where they can plan, enjoy, or call their dives.:wink:

Diver Dennis:

I personally have no problem diving with an inexperienced diver and do quite frequently. Instead of labeling them a "Newbie", "Insta-Buddy", or whatever, I approach each and every dive buddy as an independent experience with no relation to the last, or worst, one I have had. Each person I dive with I treat with the same amount of respect and give the same amount of attention to, no matter how many times I have / haven't splashed with them.

I could be diving with my best friend (who is my usual buddy) and if he's endagering himself or others by design or otherwise, I will terminate his and my dive.

Now maybe after I get over a 1000 dives under my belt I may change and become more cynical but I certainly hope not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom