In defense of "insta", and even "bad" buddies..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
but the rescue dive thing escapes me. I've never heard this before.

oh i do that every dive is a rescue dive during the REscue Course training i conduct.

but for my recreational fun dives. if it becomes a rescue dive, then someone made BAAAAD planning........

my recreational fun dives are made for FUN and no rescue needed as the guys in the group would be approriate for that fun level. and equipment and procedure all discussed before.

I agree Paolov but that is like saying every dive is a buoyancy check dive or a fish watching dive. The original point here was that a lot of divers don't like diving with insta-buddies because of bad experiences.

Diver Dennis:
No, I have not.

The very 1st rule of getting into a situation...(Going diving) is to get back safely. This means that you are in a "rescue" mode from square one. You never ever get yourself into a situation that you KNOW you cant get yourself out of.

Take rescue this summer. It will #1 kick your butt. (Its a physical course.) #2, Cut your stress factor exponentialy:D

Post up after you get your cert!!!:D :D

Diver Dennis:
This is not just about an Insta-buddy that has to be rescued, in fact I've only had 2 emergencies in all my dives but about someone who is going to ruin your dive because they are incompetent as a diver. What do you do then? Get mad and say "I'll never dive with that Insta-buddy again". Which is exactly my point.

I repeat my last point. This tangent of the rescue dive is not on topic.

paolov:
my recreational fun dives are made for FUN and no rescue needed as the guys in the group would be approriate for that fun level. and equipment and procedure all discussed before.

Hey, we didn't discussed anything except whats the menu for lunch...:D

Diver Dennis:
The original point here was that a lot of divers don't like diving with insta-buddies because of bad experiences.

in that case , i would say i am one fo then divers who wouldn't want to be with an insta-buddy , this was when i was at rescue level.

after my DM training. well it became an obligation to assist insta buddies.

After Instructor trianing, inst-buddies who are liars are immediately spotted in the first two minutes of the dive. in which case he be paired with a DM or he gets to be aborted safely first if he is not up to the training level of the dive then the rest of the group continues .

clgsamson:
Hey, we didn't discussed anything except whats the menu for lunch...:D

yeah becasue you guys are responsible for your own safety , it was a fun dive nto a training dive :D you knew what kind of dive you are getting into.

BIGSAGE136:
The very 1st rule of getting into a situation...(Going diving) is to get back safely. This means that you are in a "rescue" mode from square one. You never ever get yourself into a situation that you KNOW you cant get yourself out of.

Take rescue this summer. It will #1 kick your butt. (Its a physical course.) #2, Cut your stress factor exponentialy:D

Post up after you get your cert!!!:D :D

Well that might be tough because I'm doing Advanced Nitrox, extended range and Trimix at the John Bennett School in Puerto Galera, PI. I'm taking the course from Matt who John trained personally. You can google John's name if you don't know who he is. Perhaps you could post after you go through the same course?
Now back to my other question, what would you do 10 minutes into a dive with an incompetent diver and would that make you more wary of Insta-Buddies next time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom