In defense of Casual Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
From a moderator's standpoint, I would prefer if the analogous use of the term "NAZI" would not be used.

One may construe that to mean that it's more than just a "preference".

Thank you.

The Kraken

I would construe it to mean that the thread is over and the first poster that mentioned "nazis" lost the argument (Godwins Law).

Its all over folks... nothing to see... move along now...

I read the original post as being a criticism of elitism among divers who seem to feel that divers who only dive in warm water once or twice a year while on vacation should not be diving. Sure many divers get more enjoyment from their dives when they have improved their skills. Sure many divers get more enjoyment from their dives when they challenge themselves. But most divers don’t have that luxury and are lucky to be able to do their one or two dives a year. Of course, those divers are at greater risk…even on a very simple dive with lots of supervision. Some of that risk can be mitigated with careful monitoring by dive masters. And, while I don’t have any hard data, I’d expect that it is these divers who keep the manufacturers, resorts and dive boats in business. There simply aren’t enough 30+ dives a year divers to do so. So, the bottom line is that the original poster was suggesting that we lighten up on the once-a-year divers.

We should also keep in mind that there those who think that anyone who is not DIR should not be in the water. So don't cast the first stone.

Now, before anyone even thinks about flaming me, know the following: I strongly believe in elitism. Therefore, unless you can dock a boat both sail and single screw in 20 kts of wind, splice a line and work a sunsight out of the Air Almanac and HO249, your flames fall on deaf ears.

BiggDawg:
No, actually it is not the casual resort diver who is getting hurt and/or killed. Nor is it the extremely skilled and trained. Most dive accidents don't happen to the newly certified, but to those who have been diving for several years, and have logged a significant number of dives.

You have an odd definition of "extremely skilled and trained". Most of the divers in the puget sound are not "extremely skilled and trainied" although proficiency with a drysuit and diving locally does elevate them above a once-a-year-vacation diver.

The accidents that we've been having have been moderately skilled and people who were clearly undertrained to simply go to 100 feet on a cold water dive. I guess if you do view them as being "extremely skilled and trained" you really do have a clientele that occupies another level of being completely unprepaired...

lamont:
I would construe it to mean that the thread is over and the first poster that mentioned "nazis" lost the argument (Godwins Law).

Its all over folks... nothing to see... move along now...

I would construe it to mean that there may be a better analogy.

lamont:

Regarding your reference to Godwin's Law: Wow, you sure know a lot of good stuff. And, if you say "you know these things when you're king," I'll have to thump you :)

HowieDean:
I would grately perfer my divers to have a solid understanding of the BARE BASICS then a little bit about allot of things that have no impact on their safety during the dive they are doing.

Very good point IMO.

lamont:
You have an odd definition of "extremely skilled and trained". Most of the divers in the puget sound are not "extremely skilled and trainied" although proficiency with a drysuit and diving locally does elevate them above a once-a-year-vacation diver.

The accidents that we've been having have been moderately skilled and people who were clearly undertrained to simply go to 100 feet on a cold water dive. I guess if you do view them as being "extremely skilled and trained" you really do have a clientele that occupies another level of being completely unprepaired...

Wow, I just looked at a globe based on your post. I was sure Roatan was no where near a polar ice cap, but I wanted to be sure.... Yep... it's still in the same place it was before.

Ask Walter where the vast number of accidents are reported based on dive skill level. We've had conversations about the subject in the past. BiggDawg appears to be closer to correct based on the information I have heard

Back
Top Bottom