I'm interested in the answer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1

GDI Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't want people to misunderstand this question.
I know how touchy people get on both sides of the DIR fence.
This is not ment to be a troll so lets not turn it into one. I know why I don't dive DIR. I know what DIR is, I even agree with alot of what they say and the way they dive. I understand even if Idon't agree with the reasoning behind this way of diving.
I choose to dive in caves to challenge myself and to broden my skills for everyday diving. Not to metion the rush you feel when you exit the cave. I like the feeling of being a little above the norm.
The question I have to the DIR divers is WHY?
I want an honest answer not the run of the mill gobbletygooop.
Why do you personly choose to dive DIR.
Remember no name calling, no bashing, no bull, simple honest answers. If the MODS don't think this is a legitamate post. By all means trash the thread. No hard feelings.
Fred

I chooseto dive DIR because I tried other methods early on in my cave diving career and was never happy with them. As I adopted one DIR methodology after another I found I was much happier and it fitwith my personal philosophy of diving. I think it is the best and most comprehensive system out there, whether for cave,tech or recreational diving.

fgray1:
I think you need to explain your definition of DIR. I dive DIR, but am not necessarily a GUE follower, but more a GUE listener. DIR is not Irvine or GUE ... even though I think GUE's DIR-F class should be considered mandatory for any diver. If you're asking why use a twin rig in a cave or other overhead environment, then I think the answer is obvious. I also think a long primary hose is the way all recreational divers should be diving ... and I've been teaching for more than 20 years. But I don't think that is what you are asking ... just not sure I understand your question.

fgray1:
I don't want people to misunderstand this question.
I know how touchy people get on both sides of the DIR fence.
This is not ment to be a troll so lets not turn it into one. I know why I don't dive DIR. I know what DIR is, I even agree with alot of what they say and the way they dive. I understand even if Idon't agree with the reasoning behind this way of diving.
I choose to dive in caves to challenge myself and to broden my skills for everyday diving. Not to metion the rush you feel when you exit the cave. I like the feeling of being a little above the norm.
The question I have to the DIR divers is WHY?
I want an honest answer not the run of the mill gobbletygooop.
Remember no name calling, no bashing, no bull, simple honest answers. If the MODS don't think this is a legitamate post. By all means trash the thread. No hard feelings.
Fred

Looking from the sidelines I see three dominate groups of divers who call themselves DIR.

- Divers who define DIR by way of example and apply the hard-learned lessons in best practices and are looking for whatever performance edge they can gain from it. Most of the divers in this category likely *need* a performance edge because of the things they're doing. Think about the WKPP or the guys who did the Britannica dives....

- Divers who choose or accept DIR for the best practices etc and enjoy the benefits while not having to reinvent the wheel. Many of the divers in this category *may* have subscribed to a different "philosophy" if one existed and were documented as clearly as DIR ..... Interesting is that many divers say "I'm not DIR" but they know the DIR config inside out and often use it as a stepping stone in the process of inventing their own wheel.

- Divers who follow DIR because it's trendy etc. but who usually look the part but don't act the part. These are the ones who if their hero's buy a HUB then next year they'll all be dressed in a HUB.

There is another group of divers who dress DIR but I don't know if they can be called DIR in all fairness. Somehow DIR is attractive to divers who may be looking for some sort of affirmation that they are good divers....they're playing confidence games with themselves..... You know the ones... before DIR these were the divers who had every card under the sun and would proudly display them--complete with over-blown "talk-the-talk" stories--to everyone in sight... Personally, I think there may be a link between how loudly someone calling himself a "DIR" diver tells you that you're going to DIE when you deviate from the standard and how well he/she fits into this category.

R..

Diver0001:
Looking from the sidelines I see three dominate groups of divers who call themselves DIR.

There is another group of divers who dress DIR but I don't know if they can be called DIR in all fairness. Somehow DIR is attractive to divers who may be looking for some sort of affirmation that they are good divers....they're playing confidence games with themselves..... You know the ones... before DIR these were the divers who had every card under the sun and would proudly display them--complete with over-blown "talk-the-talk" stories--to everyone in sight...
you mean the ones that used to wear patches and chevrons on their jackets?

Interesting is that many divers say "I'm not DIR" but they know the DIR config inside out and often use it as a stepping stone in the process of inventing their own wheel.
That's why I don't understand any anti-DIR statements ... most are routing their equipment that way anyway.

fgray1,

I'm a brand new diver, so new in fact that I just finished my last pool session and am heading to Florida with my instructor for my open water dives this weekend.

While I don't consider myself a DIR diver (at least not yet) I did just purchase my own gear (halcyon bp/wing, apeks regs, long hose etc).

So how did I come to this decision?

My instructor (also a GUE instructor) introduced us to the bp/wing and the more DIR like exercises in class (we didn't just kneel on the bottom of the pool and share air and clear our masks, we learned to do it while maintaining bouyancy). Now he in no way pushed his equipment. All of us in class wore vests with standard reg/octopus setups. But he did take the time to explain the difference between the two systems.

A few sessions into class I asked him if I could try the bp/wing which he kindly setup for me. Now to be honest when I asked this my only real interest was to get a feel for a back inflate system. But when I first hit the water with his bp/wing and felt how much easier it was to move through the water, maintain bouyancy, etc I was sold. Well, nearly sold. What really sold me on this new setup was doing air shares, S drills etc. It all (gear and exercises) just made sense to me.
And not only that, but I feel much more confident and comfortable after a couple sessions with the bp/wing than I ever did with the vest.

Hope this helps

chickdiver:
I chooseto dive DIR because I tried other methods early on in my cave diving career and was never happy with them. As I adopted one DIR methodology after another I found I was much happier and it fitwith my personal philosophy of diving. I think it is the best and most comprehensive system out there, whether for cave,tech or recreational diving.

I would have to say ditto on chickdiver's reply.

I started diving last year. I found that the PADI programs allowed me to get tanks filled and provided the basics in textbook form. When it came to skill develoopement, I was sorely lacking.

I eventually started dealing with a shop that has drunken from the GUE punch bowl. So far I have taken PADI Enriched air and a Bouyancy/Propulsion class comprised of segments of the DIR-F class.
The lecture and pool sessions invoked questions and developed skills I never would have in a PADI class. It has made me realize my limitations, and given me the knowledge of what I need to improve and how to go about doing it.

If your diving is only in crystal clear water thats 40' deep w/o current, and you don't care about beeing able to hover motionless to take a photo or observe something 1' off the bottom w/o violating it, than it may not be for you.
If you dive less than ideal conditions which could surprise you quickly, learning the DIR-F skills and related disciplines IMHO should be a minimum requirement.

Equipment wise, I will always dive DIR. It's my goal to have solidly developed the DIR-F skills this year. On the discipine side of DIR, I will probably adjust with the conditions, dive plan and my buddies skills & equipment. If things are less than ideal, I'm going 100% DIR. They're survival skills!

MHO,
Greg

Because I analize everything. I like to think I'm progressive in my thinking. I try new things all the time.I build some of my own equiptment ( some good some not so good) I have taken from the DIR concept and use what I think works for me. I don't think I will ever agree 100% but then again most people don't agree 100% on anything.
Thanks for the honest answers.
Fred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom