I'm having trouble deploying DSMB...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would anyone dive with one so large they can’t fully inflate it or keep it upright on the surface when hanging below it?

Why would anyone dive with one so large they can’t fully inflate it or keep it upright on the sirface?
They don't. The massive 3m/10ft OMS is as rare as rocking horse droppings.

Halcyon 2m/6ft bag is quite common. Most dive with bags that big for the reasons I gave previously.

You shouldn't be doing your decompression obligation under a tiny bag.
So… how do you inflate your 16 ft SMB from 10 m?

I’m curious how many technical divers use a monster-sized SMB like this as a DSMB and deploy it from relatively shallow depths as the OP seems to want to do?

So… how do you inflate your 16 ft SMB from 10 m?

I’m curious how many technical divers use a monster-sized SMB like this as a DSMB and deploy it from relatively shallow depths as the OP seems to want to do?
Technical diving from 10m/30ft? SMB's aren't used in caves :wink:

Piss taking aside, that's probably a lake. But if that were the sea, for example a drift dive along the coast, you'd probably be putting up an SMB for a good reason, such as letting people know you're there. Again, only a full-sized one will do.

Assuming you can get the thing full of air, how much weight do you think you'll need to hang on it in order to keep it standing upright on the surface. Toss it and buy something reasonable. (I like the slim six footer from Halcyon.)
That Halcyon one is the one that I used to use but it seems like everyone on the boat has a bigger DSMB and I hated it when someone has a bigger DSMB than I do.

That Halcyon one is the one that I used to use but it seems like everyone on the boat has a bigger DSMB and I hated it when someone has a bigger DSMB than I do.
Maybe you can attach two lift bags at the base of the long DSMB to make it stand more erect so it gives a clear message to the other divers about who has the biggest DSMB? 🤔

It doesn’t have to be full.

Even if it ends up being half full on the surface, that’s 8’. That’s bigger than most.

No SMB will stand up on the surface unless you’re putting pretty significant downward pressure on it. You’ll have to get a bit negative and kind of hang from it to get it to stand vertical.

When you surface, inflate it the rest of the way if needed.

everyone on the boat has a bigger DSMB and I hated it when someone has a bigger DSMB than I do.

It isn't the size that matters, it is what you do with it that matters.

It isn't the size that matters, it is what you do with it that matters.
If I get you a container of blue inflators, will you give up this talk about your dSMB prowess?

Reactions: Ana
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom