I'm having trouble deploying DSMB...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alanchang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I've recently purchased a DSMB but I could never fully inflate it in water. I know I only need to get halfway full but even then I could not get it. So the DSMB was always flat on the surface and it is very very annoying. I tried the open end, using the LP hose but none of those works. The DSMB always brings me up before I can get halfway full. This DSMB has 130lbs of the lift so whatever I do I couldn't pull on it long enough until it gets inflated. Note: This DSMB is 3 times longer than a Halcyon and 6 times larger in volumes.

e71b988efd863ffa465721341621c36.jpg
bb0168d738913ed40aa7f81b2897144.jpg

So, I've recently purchased a DSMB but I could never fully inflate it in water. I know I only need to get halfway full but even then I could not get it. So the DSMB was always flat on the surface and it is very very annoying. I tried the open end, using the LP hose but none of those works. The DSMB always brings me up before I can get halfway full. This DSMB has 130lbs of the lift so whatever I do I couldn't pull on it long enough until it gets inflated. Note: This DSMB is 3 times longer than a Halcyon and 6 times larger in volumes.

View attachment 706585 View attachment 706586
How tall is it?

That SMB looks huge. Which isn't necessarily bad.

It shouldn't be pulling you up though. One big lungfull of air is all you should need, or a short blast of air from a reg or inflator hose depending on the fill mechanism and your preference. It's okay if the DSMB isn't totally full when you launch it - it's still quite visible even laying flat on the surface. Once the DSMB reaches the surface, keep tension on the line from underwater, this will pull it vertical even if it isn't fully inflated.

Inflate it from deeper water and the air will expand a LOT more. It's really really hard to fully fill a big DSMB in shallow water and you don't need it to be totally full.

Are you letting it go up on its own, attached to a spool or reel that spins out line? There's no way you can hold it down.
I was attaching it to a spool. But I can't hold it long enough to inflate to halfway.

I think a better question is why you are trying to fully inflate a 16' smb from depth?
Which closely aligns with my next question of why would you buy a 16' smb?

For me, this type of a very long DSMB' are for use on surface to signal dive boats or rescue teams to know where you are from distance after you inflate them ON the SURFACE not from depth. For true DSMB launched from depth, I'd use a much short DSMB, 1.4 - 1.8m, at the most.

... my next question of why would you buy a 16' smb?
I want one so I can find my car in the mall parking lot !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom