I'm having trouble deploying DSMB...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bb0168d738913ed40aa7f81b2897144-jpg.706586

To the OP: did you notice that your pink smb is slightly bent?
As you'll know without doubt, getting bent is exactly what everybody tries to avoid in technical diving.

For goodness sake, big enough isn’t 5 metres/16ft — which nobody uses — it’s being big enough to be seen by surface traffic and your skipper.

Personally have never seen a massive 3m/10ft OMS and definitely not a ludicrous 5m/16ft one.

Itty bitty 3ft training blobs aren’t seen on boats either as the skipper would rightly bollock the user for being so inadequate.

Maybe if he can shoot enough high He trrimix into it the whole thing will float like a balloon above the water? Who wants a diver below float when you can have a balloon?

Not that it makes a difference to any idjit with a credit card and a rented jet ski. Nothing like hearing a jet ski come to a stop above you then playing tug of war with your SMB line.

Not that it makes a difference to any idjit with a credit card and a rented jet ski. Nothing like hearing a jet ski come to a stop above you then playing tug of war with your SMB line.
It wasn’t a jet ski, but a yacht that thought my SMB was a mooring buoy. Wasn’t amused when I claimed mooring fees.

How do choose a Surface Marker Buoy? An SMB outfitted with a ducks bill works by venting exhaust gas via the primary regulator—deploy once you feel a slight tug. Don’t overfill unless you intend to use the SMB as a lifeline. A fully enclosed SMB fitted with (steel not plastic) inflator can be linked up to a Quick Release inflator hose fitted to any first stage. Never inflate SMB using your mouth—regulator free-flows have occurred or worse, you could end up entangled in line. 6 ft for technical divers, 3 ft for recreational divers—DGX sells a combination fitted with the ducks bill and the steel inflator fitting. Orange is the preferred color. Technical divers only use yellow for exigencies when diving with support crew. A diver can raise their SMB over their head and wave to draw attention whilst adrift.

Tecline sell steel inflators to replace the plastic one.

Technical divers should only deploy their SMB at depth in an emergency. There have been several instances where divers were dragged upwards after becoming entangled, or had failed to release their grip on the reel—resulting in a fatality. Whereas, deploying a lift bag, or using an SMB to assist in an ascent (drop reel and climb line) is appropriate in the event of buoyancy issues.

The cornerstone of peer review is the polarity to identify shortcomings from diverse perspectives.

ž

Technical divers should only deploy their SMB at depth in an emergency. There have been several instances where divers were dragged upwards after becoming entangled, or had failed to release their grip on the reel—resulting in a fatality. Whereas, deploying a lift bag, or using an SMB to assist in an ascent (drop reel and climb line) is appropriate in the event of buoyancy issues.

The cornerstone of peer review is the polarity to identify shortcomings from diverse perspectives.
Really? So boat should search for me for an hour or so while I do my deco drifting with the current?
No thanks.

How do choose a Surface Marker Buoy? An SMB outfitted with a ducks bill works by venting exhaust gas via the primary regulator—deploy once you feel a slight tug. Don’t overfill unless you intend to use the SMB as a lifeline. A fully enclosed SMB fitted with (steel not plastic) inflator can be linked up to a Quick Release inflator hose fitted to any first stage. Never inflate SMB using your mouth—regulator free-flows have occurred or worse, you could end up entangled in line. 6 ft for technical divers, 3 ft for recreational divers—DGX sells a combination fitted with the ducks bill and the steel inflator fitting. Orange is the preferred color. Technical divers only use yellow for exigencies when diving with support crew. A diver can raise their SMB over their head and wave to draw attention whilst adrift.

Tecline sell steel inflators to replace the plastic one.

Dude...... Lol, do you even dive?
Or do you just take random sentences from the internet and string them together?

Bollocks.

How is the skipper going to see the blobs popping to the surface in a current if you're hundreds of metres/feet downstream? And especially when it's limp and barely visible.

After an hour of deco I'll be two miles downstream of the wreck.

What's the difference of being "dragged to the surface" between a shallow and deep release? Oh, that will be that you only need to partially inflate if you're at, say, 50m/165ft as it'll expand X6 on its way to the surface; you can hold the blob down if -- and that's a big if -- it were to tangle (because you didn't sort your crap out in the first place).

I use CO2 cartridge inflation. My 2m/6ft6 blob uses two of them. The first cartridge goes off and can I hold the thing quite easily without it changing my buoyancy. Check up and around, make sure the left hand's on the reel and the line's tight then set off the second cartridge and up it flies. Occasionally stop the reel to slow it down as it gets to the surface (where the gas has fully expanded).

When using a drysuit inflator -- or feeding from bailout -- it's no different. Calm and sorted.

There's nothing worse than seeing a flaccid, limp SMB on the surface. Says something about the diver launching it (or there's a hole in the SMB which needs some glue)

my suggestion for your next dsmb

1651834374352.png

After an hour of deco I'll be two miles downstream of the wreck.
If your dive team is uncoordinated then I’m not surprised that you are lost at sea. You would think the skipper would know the direction of the current. At sea level the curvature of the earth limits the range of vision to 2.9 miles. The formula for determining how many miles an individual can see at higher levels is the square root of his altitude times 1.225.
What's the difference of being "dragged to the surface" between a shallow and deep release? Oh, that will be that you only need to partially inflate if you're at, say, 50m/165ft as it'll expand X6 on its way to the surface; you can hold the blob down if -- and that's a big if -- it were to tangle (because you didn't sort your crap out in the first place).
There is a distinct difference in missing all your staged decompression stops to just missing the last one if there were no other means to stop being dragged by your SMB to the surface. The likelihood of death would be instant. You must be the only diver in the UK who relies on a self-inflating SMB—expensive to lose. And you have the propensity to lecture me when by your own admission you don’t use conventional SMBs.
There's nothing worse than seeing a flaccid, limp SMB on the surface. Says something about the diver launching it (or there's a hole in the SMB which needs some glue)
I was unaware that in your BSAC SMB course they stipulated the SMB must be at a certain height above the waterline.
use CO2 cartridge inflation. My 2m/6ft6 blob uses two of them. The first cartridge goes off and can I hold the thing quite easily without it changing my buoyancy.
Unfortunately, your self-inflating SMB cannot be taken on a plane.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom