I'm back from BALI with photos !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am dying to read and see the rest of your report. For one thing, I am going to Bali for 9 days of diving at the end of September (I posted recently about my canceled trip to Sipadan) and two, I will be shooting with a Canon A80, INON D180 strobe and both INON macro and wa lenses. I doubt I'll be able to get the same quality of pics, but we'll find out soon enough.

Luckily for the first 4 nights I get to take advantage of a wet workshop held at Tulamben Tauch Terminal sponsored by FinsOnline. After that we're on our own and trying to decide where to dive and who to dive with.

Part 2 – Kubu and Seraya Secrets

After diving here we headed up to Mimpi Resort in Tulamben to relax. The resort was OK but overpriced and I found better places to stay. Mimpi food was not great and also overpriced – we ate at Paradise Beach Hotel (very cheap and pretty good). Going back I would recommend staying in a new resort called Seraya which was about US $55 for a beach front villa including breakfast. It is not within walking distance to the wreck at Tulamben but it has it’s own drawcard (more later!).

Because the swell was still up a little, we went to a place called Kubu, about 10 minutes north of Tulamben. This dive was almost too good to explain – two slopes and a channel and more life than you can imagine. It had the whole lot and I wished we had dived here more but I wanted to sample everything. It had beautiful healthy coral, huge fans, sponges and schools of fish. It had too much to look at and was actually quite overwhelming. Because I can dive anytime at home I find it easy to forget about the big picture and just look for macro, here I couldn’t resist pulling out the wide angle and just letting myself be in awe of everything working together. The fish here seemed more interested than scared of divers. I don’t think it is a heavily dived spot so it still looks pristine, I found the Liberty Wreck and the Drop-Off a little worse for wear – although still very good. I also think it didn’t hurt that we found multiple Pygmy’s here within 15 minutes. As Purwano says in Bali though you really don’t want to make to much noise about a place or you get people stealing and moving the seahorses etc to their own locations. A lot of divers don’t understand that things aren’t a guarantee and Purwano never made any promises - we would see what we would see. But he also said that as soon as you tell anyone which fans to find the pygmy they seem to disappear very quickly. Please keep Kubu in it’s pristine state! There are many fans to search here and I’m pretty sure more than one will have pygmy’s on it if you take the time to look. Like all the diving in Bali you can pretty much set your depth they are either slopes or walls and head off down to 40 – 80 meters depending on the site. Because I see little point in diving deep (most life is above 30 meters) most dives we head down to about 25 - 35 (depending on site) and then worked our way back up. ‘Saftey stops’ usually were about another 20 minutes after an hour dive because there is still so much to see at 5 m odd.

The second dive was on the wreck that day but that will come in Part 3. I have to diverge to Seraya for now. This site is not for everyone. The place I mention before has a very good setup and it is such an easy dive I would have loved to stay here and do it as a third dive every day. They call it Seraya Secrets and it has many. Again I stress it is not for everyone – Tanya didn’t like it so we only ended up making a single dive here. It is made up of black sand ridges almost devoid of any corals. There has been a small artificial reef put in for someone’s project which has made it a kind of nursery for some small fish. Why is it good? There are some really, really rare things and awesome macro. It is muck diving at it’s best and I really wish I could have dived here more. I want to head back to Bali soon specifically to dive here more (also Pendia). We saw harlequin shrimp, seamoths, leaf fish, strange dragonets, dwarf lionfish, several other strange lionfish, nudibranchs etc. Apparently there is a frogfish here which is yellow with translucent spots and pink blotches (not identified and the only place it has been seen). You’ll love it or hate it!

To be Continued...

First two are from Kubu (the pygmy is was also taken here). Second two from Seraya. Check out the gallery (HERE !) again for further examples of these sites as I didn't want to attach too many to the post as some are on slower connections (sorry). Non of the pictures have been cropped so some of the critters are still tiny even with the macro. (Sorry I was a bit hungover on the Seraya dive and the pictures suffered - I still got a few though)

WOW lovely pictures. I love the diver with the gorgonian, very nice.

Great pics and trip report - Thanks!

We're off to the North East coast of Bali in September - I still can't dive because of various problems with my shoulders, so we're heading to a small resort which apparently has great snorkelling. The resort is called Agung Bali Nirwana and it sounds great... maybe next year I'll finally be okayed to dive but until then, it's mask, fins and snorkel only...

lukeROB:
Ok I just got back, I'm sure i've missed a heap of good stuff on here while I was away.

Anyway I'm going to wet everyones appetite with just 5 pictures of the amazing diving we had there.

I'll post them slowly unless I can get some webspace soon and then I'll put as many up as possible. I'll also give a mini trip report if anyone is interested as I definatly learned a lot while there and will do things slightly differently when I go back. Importantly our guide and the company we dived with were outstanding so much so I would say they are better than anything I have experienced in australia (besides Cocos (keeling) Islands.

Anyway the reason you all looked at the post....

Luke - some great shots - if you have a moment can you give us a quick summary of successful camera / flash settings you used.

Mike Newman:
Luke - some great shots - if you have a moment can you give us a quick summary of successful camera / flash settings you used.

Sorry I can't give you exacts, I'd have to check. But I can tell you how I shoot.

Firstly with wide - I find the A70 sometimes gives my problems with the aperture full open so I usually will set aperture to about F3.2 or F4.8. Because the wide angle has such a great depth of field I never shoot higher than 4.8 unless there is very little sun or I am very deep and the shutter cant give me the correct exposure.

Now meter the water. I do this by experience and the fact that I will try a second shot if I'm not happy. I always underexpose but 1 stop because I prefer a deeper blue.

Strobe I use to expose the foreground which is now very underexposed because of the usually bright background blue. Again I realise I do this by experience I guess at a level and take a shot if I don't like it reshoot. However very quickly you learn about what you need here. Finally it's always better to underexpose slightly than overexpose - see my bannerfish picture above. I love it but because it is overexposed slightly there is very little I can do to make it look perfect.

Finally composition - this is for you to decide.

Macro - much easier. Set the aperture to something high (F8) to get some depth of field. I usually dial in a high shutter here only because I hate any sort of blur and the scene is strobe lit anyway. Strobe set to the same F-stop if the scene isn't reflective, 1 stop down if slightly reflective and 2 stops if very reflective. This is only guesses and I often take a few shots of a macro subject because I don't have manual on my strobe so it's had to expose exactly right.

Hope all this helps

Part 3 – The Liberty and Paradise Reef

Second dive that day was on the USS Liberty Wreck – Bali’s most famous dive location. The vis here was not that fantastic and I found on other dives here that the early morning is the best time to dive it. There was also a little swell which didn’t help. But still it was reasonable vis and warm temperatures close to 30ºC near the surface a little less deeper. It is a beautiful place - so much to see whether you want wide angle, macro or anything in between. It has corals, a wreck, rare marine life what more could you want? However there is one drawback – lots of people. There are at least 10 people in the water at any one time and others sitting, eating and waiting to head back in. Obviously this many people have an impact and hence the dives in the early morning were always better. Also don’t be surprised to see a few disrespectful divers (through inexperience or otherwise). One photographer I saw was standing on a dendronephthya soft coral bush to photographer something. This is why it looks a little ‘weathered’ I guess. It is still an excellent dive and after diving it in good condition I would always go back. You just never know what you are going to see. Some stuff we saw for example were banded pipefish, robust ghost pipefish, napoleon wrasse, surgeonfish which get so close it is annoying, clown triggerfish, titan triggers, many different anemone fish, bluespot rays, varied stone and scorpion cod, large potato cod, massive schooling jacks which swirl around you, leaf fish, reef sharks, barracuda and bumphead parrotfish and that’s not all (check the photos if your not convinced). This list is off the top of my head and doesn’t do justice to the variety here, you could do many dives and see different things every time – it’s your choice – I only managed three.

Directly in front of the Mimpi and Paradise Hotels is their house reef and is often called Paradise Reef because this was the first resort here. Do not miss this one. It is shallow and you can head from here to the wreck, which we did. It is easy to spend nearly 2 hours here. Max depth is only about 15m but most time is spent between 8 – 12m. We did a 90 minute night dive here which was defiantly in the top 5 of the trip. It is also sometimes called coral gardens and it lives up to the name. The fish are actually friendly here, as like the rest of the Tulamben area it is a total marine sanctuary. The life is abundant and if it was affected by El-Nino it is one of the best recovered sites we dived. There is lots of strange fish here like the wreck and it is just such a relaxing dive that you could do it most mornings. One time we barely made it to the wreck because we saw some many things along the way. See the photos for some of the stuff I saw here. Of particular interest to me was the fact that I saw many blue-ribbon eels (and the black version also). At night the crabs are out in force – with crinoids fully open and the commensuals out you really just don’t have enough air and warmth to get bored. Although an unplanned site beside the night dive we ended up doing another 1.5 dives (half here half wreck) here in the day because there was just so much to see. Between this little reef and the wreck you can see why people come and stay only in Tulamben for a weeks.

To be Continued….
(Part 4 – Tulamben Drop-Off and Amed)

I have only put 5 more photos in my gallery so far all from the wreck (the others are here ! as I only attached 3 to this thread). I’ll post the another heap on the wreck and Paradise Reef over the next couple of days. Gives me something to do. I have also started naming them by location so it is easier to link them with the report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom