I'm back from BALI with photos !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent points. I'm definately not taking a laptop but I was trying to get away with not taking a portable drive either. Your point about not taking previous dive pics on subsequest dives is well taken and has me convinced it's the only way to go...other than taking a card for each dive...<yeah right>. Now I have to research for more gear!

alcina:
LukeRob answered well but I would add a caution - DO NOT delete your "obvious" trash...sometimes you'll be surprised when you get back to the computer what is really in an image - those little screens are only good for deleting heinously unfocused shots! And if you don't need the memory on that dive, don't delete anything until you have a good look at it back on land. Just my two cents.

And I think you really do need to download frequently or you risk losing multiple days/dives in flood or other disaster. I download after every day's diving - never take non-downloaded images on my card the next day! YMMV

Good points Alcina. Sorry I wasn't clear, do what Alcina says, I do the same. But what I meant is because I had a laptop I could check what the photos were like after each day. Then I'd decide to get rid of them or not. I was trying to make the point that if I hadn't had the laptop I would have had more photos than the 1 GB I ended up with as I would not have deleted any without being able to view them - so you would need more space than I used.
Sorry for confusion - now I'm confused :wink:

slee416:
Excellent points. I'm definately not taking a laptop but I was trying to get away with not taking a portable drive either. !

Contact the dive operators and the hotels/accommodation you will be staying at - they may have a computer with card reader (or simply bring your cable) that you can download to each day after diving. Bring your own cds or ask if they have them. Then you don't need to drag your laptop or anything extra - download & save everything and begin editing when you get home!

alcina:
Contact the dive operators and the hotels/accommodation you will be staying at - they may have a computer with card reader (or simply bring your cable) that you can download to each day after diving. Bring your own cds or ask if they have them. Then you don't need to drag your laptop or anything extra - download & save everything and begin editing when you get home!

That's what I was thinking but I found most of the places in Bali outside of the main Kuta area did not have burners. They had the internet however.

Anyways heres a few more images from around the Island...

Image by lukeROB (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

lukeROB:
That's what I was thinking but I found most of the places in Bali outside of the main Kuta area did not have burners. They had the internet however.

For sure check BEFORE you get there!!

The suggestion to download onto CD's is a good one too, but I feel better off not having to rely on third parties. Even if you check beforehand, you never know once you get there.

Anyway I did research on portable drives six months back and the problem then is the same today...nobody seems to make what people want. Every product has it's drawbacks but the products in the portable drive market seem to have more than the norm, whether it be lack of high speed USB, low memory to cost ratio, no screen or crappy screen, no video out on high priced models, lame design, etc.

At this point I am tempted to get an iPod for the sole reason that it does an excellent job at doing what it was designed for and can store pictures too. Of course if I was never going to enjoy MP3 I wouldn't get it, but I can't say the same for any of the portable drives I've seen. They may do more than the iPod but they are not great at doing what they were designed to do. Epson photo viewer almost got it, but low memory and slow USB for that price. Still waiting to see how the Nikon coolwalker and the Sony HDPS-1 take off.

Well I never meant to take this thread too far off topic...although it seems like just the 3 of us are keeping it alive for the time being. Back to the pictures...very nice once again.

Did you guys leave the crown of thorns as is? When I was in Maldives last year the DM tied a string around it and pulled it on board. Not sure what he did with it afterwards but you can bet it didn't see water or coral again. :bash:

I know what you mean about portable storage! I have been looking at options too. I will probably upgrade my existing Archos Jukebox and also get a portable hard drive for my laptop...there is a good discussion over on ddnet about all this recently.

slee416:
Did you guys leave the crown of thorns as is? When I was in Maldives last year the DM tied a string around it and pulled it on board. Not sure what he did with it afterwards but you can bet it didn't see water or coral again. :bash:

I leave 'em alone. They aren't epidemic here and are part of the cycle here now. We don't see many so it's still notable when we do! Just got a nice photo of a big one the other day in fact :)

slee416:

I was the only one that saw it. But yes they would leave them alone. Why kill them?
It has never been proven that they are detrimental to a reef system. From what I have heard healthy regrowth often follows outbreaks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom